Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo Scrapbooks Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted
I'm not even sure this is the right category.

I just found a really pretty scrapbook in a box o stuff that I had put away a few years ago.

Obviously SOMEONE made it for my mom.. I think. Mom passed in 1996. I'm 60. These are OLD pictures.

It's FULL of photos of extended family from as far back as 1920. 90% of the photos are unidentified as to years or even first names, let alone locations or any identifying information.

Someone put in a fair amount of work on this and I have no way of knowing who. I've taken some photos of it and posted it on my FB page, but obviously it won't hit the extended family, and many many of the people in the pictures are long gone.

It would be so nice if the creator of the album had slipped in just a simple card saying "this album lovingly created by **** 00/00/0000"

Sigh. I have no idea what to do with this album. I'd give it to a grandchild of who ever made it probably..

I feel faintly guilted out that I don't have some kind of intense "fambly" feeling.. but truth be told I wouldn't recognize 99% of these folks if they were beside me on the bus. I'm one of 40+ cousins, and 9 siblings and I even have in laws I haven't spoken to in years. It isn't that I don't like them, it's just that we aren't close.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
All of the older folks in my extended family....sounds much like yours, my grandfather had 16 children, go thru their photos and send them to the person they think will be most likely to appreciate them and pass them along.
They ID what they can and put question marks on some they don't know.
I've gotten several envelopes full of photos of my mom as a young girl & she passed when I was small...about 4y.o.! They will be passed on to my son & my granddaughter...those are the ones who will hold on to them & keep passing them down.
Our family is scattered all across the US from coast to coast & border to border...so we aren't close either.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Kathy, even though the photo album doesn't have much personal significance to you and your family or anyone else you know, would not be able to identify the people, it is worth keeping.

this album would have historical significance, whatever the clothing, backgrounds, furnishings that may be seen in any of the photos.

I share your frustration. In doing my genealogy I had reproduced and scanned in 4 or 5 Daugerreotype/ambrotype/tintype that I own. I have no idea who these people are except that they were from my mothers side, nor do any cousins etc. The date of the clothing is my guide to attaching them to an actual person. But this is obviously uncertain. However they do have value even if only monetary to someone else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
If you ever get the chance to attend a family reunion, bring the album! It may help you get some of the people identified.

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I was so fortunate! Almost every single one of my mother's photos were labeled on the back. They may not have the date, but if you know who the people are, you can "guesstimate" the year.

This is the main portrait I would love to know who the little girl is. The back just has "Durham relative" on it. The photographer was Basil Clemons '25 (1925). UT library in Austin has a collection of his photos/portraits, but could tell me nothing about this.

As my sister-in-law and I ramble through antique/junk/thrift stores, I keep my eyes pealed for an old frame. I want to frame this little lady for the wall in my guest room.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post