Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Who has oldest freezer still working?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has oldest freezer still working? Sign In/Join 
posted
Because of "SANDY" I just threw out all the food in an free-standing upright freezer, and defrosted and cleaned it!---THEN I realized how old it is and thought I'd bet it was the oldest on this panel!

We bought it in 1976 it's an Admiral (remember that brand?) and it's never needed repaired! (maybe I shouldn't have said that??) knock on wood !!

How old is your freezer?

I also had to throw out the food in a freezer on my side by side freezer/refrig. What a horror of loss of food and ****! I didn't freeze bread etc only meat and stew I'd made plus fresh fruit grown around our home.

Heartbreaker---for so many people!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marcydaisy,

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
What a shame to lose that much food...I'm sorry. And so very glad DH purchased a generator to use with our camper when we were camping without hookups.

DM gave her old chest freezer to a neighbor and it's still working. Baby brother was 3 when it was purchased so that was 1967...

Edited to add - It's a Kenmore...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16455 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Sears "Kenmore" upright freezer which we bought in 1976 along with a Kenmore washer/dryer set is still working like new and it's never required a repair yet! Big Grin

But it and the washer/dryer set remain at our old farmhouse and we have newer appliances here at our "new-to-us" house ~ only because of style and color, not function or reliability! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't have a stand alone freezer but our refrigerator is still going strong since 1993. It's totally young compared to what you guys have mentioned so far! We had one repair to it right after we bought it and it''s been great ever since. Has made a couple of moves, too. It's a Frigidaire.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
we have a chest freezer given to us by a friend, who bought it new in 1976.. Its still chugging along, but I REALLY ned to defrost it. lots of ice build up in the corners.

Oh and it too is a Kenmore!!

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I have a Kenmore upright that I bought used in 1986. I'm not sure how old it is since I bought it used...still going strong! I paid $150 for it so I think I've gotten my money's worth from it.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4304 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Westinghouse chest freezer which lives on an enclosed back porch, purchased in 1973,our kitchen refrigerator in 1990 and the one that it replaced is from 1966 and is in our garage and still going, the freezer in this one stopped defrosting and that's why we got the new one in 1990. I think that if those 2 older ones did not die last summer when it was so hot they have some life years left in them.

Wanda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gmvj,

Posts: 1723 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pebbles03b
posted Hide Post
I don't have an upright freezer but my frigidaire is about 22yrs old and still going strong.

Posts: 1314 | Location: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister lives in the house we grew up in and the freezer from our childhood is still there and working. One of those huge chest freezers. It will be hard to get it out of the basement when it needs to go. It's probably close to 50 years old.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are still using the upright freezer that my parents bought for us in 1970. Still works great!

Posts: 62 | Registered: Dec 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a frost free large upright that lasted for 20 years.

Posts: 7968 | Location: FL | Registered: Nov 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Freezer is around 16 year old and still working properly.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider on an old freezer, (especially if it is frost free) is the high electricity use per appliance.

Newer chest type freezers, that have manual defrost are very efficient now and cost little to operate compared to some old models.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I found this site which is fascinating.. I sure can't afford a new freezer right now, and to be honest my old one uses less than I thought.

We also have municipal power, which is far less costly than National Grid users in the country. My sister pays more than twice what I do per Kwh. she's just 4 miles away!!

http://www.willsmith.org/climatechange/domestic.html

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother gave us her upright freezer that is probably from 1975. I think it's a GE. We keep it in our guesthouse kitchen. It works just fine. Hubby hates having it. He thinks we don't need it but I find it really useful for turkeys, meat I buy on sale and all of my frozen lean cuisines, lol. I check it often and keep waiting for the day that I find it has pooped out. But so far, so good!

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
One thing to consider on an old freezer, (especially if it is frost free) is the high electricity use per appliance.

Newer chest type freezers, that have manual defrost are very efficient now and cost little to operate compared to some old models.

Conrad, u r sooo right on that! MIL had an oldster freezer and it put out so much heat that the garage in was in was hot even in the winter...and her house was freezing!!! She was just used to keeping that old thing filled even tho she went thru once a year and and threw most of it away!!!! Her electric was horrendous til she got rid of it!

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We also had a 1950's Philco refrigerator in the basement, from DH's parents. They built them to last back then and it was still working when we donated it a few years ago, (and replaced it with a smallish chest freezer, great replacement). I was amazed at how much power that old refrigerator drew, as our electric bill went down the next month.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Our freezer isn't that old. Our old refrigerator that we just sold this year - we bought in 1990, replaced the compressor in 1995 and it has been going strong ever since. It has been our back up refrigerator since we moved in 2000, DS sold us her back up refrigerator when she moved down so we then sold ours.

Posts: 3393 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My really old frig/freezer (I think from the 50's)died over Thanksgiving.It was the kind that you had to open the full size door and then open the small freezer door.(Yes, it needed defrosted annually). I only used the frig part for beer/soda.Next problem--disposal. While my garbage service would pickup the refrigerator,I needed to have the freon removed and some kind of sticker applied for proof. After many phone calls, I found an appliance store that would handle the entire removal for $40. (high end range was $70)!

Posts: 652 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Our old Philco was still working at the end too. Would have made a great Keggerator, (maybe it still is holding beer somewhere?)

Same issue with us to dispose of, as it was in the basement, and those things are HEAVY! We then bought a new refrigerator, and small chest freezer. The local appliance store, had free pickup and disposal of replaced appliances. Because the freezer went downstairs they picked up the old refrigerator free, and the upstairs one. We were thrilled to have it gone.

We have a lot of guys on Craig's list who offer to come and get old appliances free (scrap value). (I am pretty sure they don't recapture the freon).
We did not go this route because of it being in the basement, heavy and risk of their injury/lawsuit. If we could have gotten it upstairs and to the garage, we would have done the CL route.

Picture of akanaka
posted Hide Post
Well i have a Ben Hur freezer my father in law bought in 1965. He bought it in Massachusetts used from a butcher shop that was closing. It has never been service. What ever we put in it turn into a block. The seal is broken but it doesn't stop it from working.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post