Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  leather cleaners??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

leather cleaners?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of jackierenette
posted
We bought a used real leather recliner for DH.It's a light brown but not tan.It's in great shape,just a little dirty.Really cant tell from the color thou.

Wondering who has tried and true way to clean this chair.DH wiped it down with Lysol mixed with water.I know I can buy car leather cleaner-polisher.Thought about getting some Oxyclean and mix it up too.

Any ideas??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have never used heavy detergent of any kind on our leather, and it all still looks great. (Some is 18+ years old) We have a bone leather furniture set, leather van/car seat covers and a pecan colored leather furniture set. A tiny bit of Dawn dish soap, in a pan of warm water, and a microfiber cloth dampened in it, to wipe down and clean areas. Rinse the area with another dampened clear water microfiber. Wipe dry with a towel.

With the car I also use Meguirar's cleaner and conditioner to clean and help prevent sun damage. If my indoor leather was also exposed to a lot of UV, I might use it there too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Thank you Conrad.

DH used Lysol to k*ll germs from other owners.I will get some leather cleaner-moisture protecter tomorrow.It wont get much sun.Out livingroom does get alot of heat from the sun.But I keep blinds closed at the hottest time of day.I did think of using dawn soapy water.I was thinking the oxyclean might be good too.That way I can use it around the house.

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Try a farm store, an ag store.
Tractor Supply if one in your area.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for it, Auto supply stores are where you can commonly find Meguirar's leather products.
Doing research several years ago that brand was rated above the others by auto restorers/collectors, that is why I chose it. Still using the original container, it lasts a long, long time.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drywatergal
posted Hide Post
Hope you don't mind a comment from someone who usually doesn't post in this category. Shaving cream! Yep, that's what you use to clean leather. Rub it in a circular pattern, then wipe off with dry cloth.

Hope that helps.

Always Stepping Outside Myself

Posts: 2227 | Location: OKlahoma | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Drywatergirl,very interesting idea.I will try this sometime this week.I dont see it hurting to try it.

That way I wont have to shave my legs. Wink

Thank you for chimming in.Anyone is always welcome to give advice or an idea.

posted Hide Post
There is no need to buy those expensive leather cleaners in store. You can actually use your facial soap or body soap as long as they are the mild ones(such as cream soaps) and distilled water. Tap water maybe acidic or alkaline so it's safer to use distilled.

Start by vacuuming all dirt from furniture. Use the soft brush attachment. Combine soap and distilled water in a pale and test it in a small area of the furniture. Then dip a rag in the soapy water and wipe the surface of the furniture. Afterwards, wipe the furniture with a rag dipped in distilled water to remove soap residue. Dry it with another rag and shine it off with a fourth rag. You may also wipe some leather protector to safeguard your furniture. Smile One

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onelyn,

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post