HGTV Message Boards
leather cleaners??

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4284011632/m/5463990767

Jan 22, 2013, 07:33 PM
jackierenette
leather cleaners??
We bought a used real leather recliner for DH.It's a light brown but not tan.It's in great shape,just a little dirty.Really cant tell from the color thou.

Wondering who has tried and true way to clean this chair.DH wiped it down with Lysol mixed with water.I know I can buy car leather cleaner-polisher.Thought about getting some Oxyclean and mix it up too.

Any ideas??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,
Jan 23, 2013, 09:47 AM
conrad
I have never used heavy detergent of any kind on our leather, and it all still looks great. (Some is 18+ years old) We have a bone leather furniture set, leather van/car seat covers and a pecan colored leather furniture set. A tiny bit of Dawn dish soap, in a pan of warm water, and a microfiber cloth dampened in it, to wipe down and clean areas. Rinse the area with another dampened clear water microfiber. Wipe dry with a towel.

With the car I also use Meguirar's cleaner and conditioner to clean and help prevent sun damage. If my indoor leather was also exposed to a lot of UV, I might use it there too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,
Jan 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
jackierenette
Thank you Conrad.

DH used Lysol to k*ll germs from other owners.I will get some leather cleaner-moisture protecter tomorrow.It wont get much sun.Out livingroom does get alot of heat from the sun.But I keep blinds closed at the hottest time of day.I did think of using dawn soapy water.I was thinking the oxyclean might be good too.That way I can use it around the house.
Jan 24, 2013, 12:40 AM
M-ma
Try a farm store, an ag store.
Tractor Supply if one in your area.
Jan 24, 2013, 09:34 AM
conrad
If you are looking for it, Auto supply stores are where you can commonly find Meguirar's leather products.
Doing research several years ago that brand was rated above the others by auto restorers/collectors, that is why I chose it. Still using the original container, it lasts a long, long time.
Feb 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
drywatergal
Hope you don't mind a comment from someone who usually doesn't post in this category. Shaving cream! Yep, that's what you use to clean leather. Rub it in a circular pattern, then wipe off with dry cloth.

Hope that helps.

Always Stepping Outside Myself
Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
jackierenette
Drywatergirl,very interesting idea.I will try this sometime this week.I dont see it hurting to try it.

That way I wont have to shave my legs. Wink

Thank you for chimming in.Anyone is always welcome to give advice or an idea.
May 09, 2013, 10:09 AM
onelyn
There is no need to buy those expensive leather cleaners in store. You can actually use your facial soap or body soap as long as they are the mild ones(such as cream soaps) and distilled water. Tap water maybe acidic or alkaline so it's safer to use distilled.

Start by vacuuming all dirt from furniture. Use the soft brush attachment. Combine soap and distilled water in a pale and test it in a small area of the furniture. Then dip a rag in the soapy water and wipe the surface of the furniture. Afterwards, wipe the furniture with a rag dipped in distilled water to remove soap residue. Dry it with another rag and shine it off with a fourth rag. You may also wipe some leather protector to safeguard your furniture. Smile One

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onelyn,