Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Washer on left, dryer right?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washer on left, dryer right? Sign In/Join 
Picture of conrad
posted
Just switched my washer dryer placement in this older house. LG dryer door could be reversed but not the front load washer door (got tired of reaching around it). Dryer vent now goes diagonally, hoses all cross over behind the dryer. It all works, but just not as neatly.

Used to be common to put washer on the right, dryer left...at least in our past older homes. Even had to do this criss-cross in our ten year old retirement home. It did not make as much difference with the top loaders and the dryers with the flop down in front door.

So when did this plumbing arrangement change? Why did it change? Is it just my experience, and there was no change? Inquiring minds want to know. Big Grin

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I think I have always had my washer on the left...due to the top loaders opening that direction and you didn't have to reach over the lid to get to the dryer.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4299 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every washer/dryer set I have ever had, even as a young kid, was set up with the washer on the left and dryer on the right. Cool

ETA: All of the washers I have had had a top-loading lid that either went backward or had the hinge on the left ~ all dryers were front-loading and the door had the hinge on the right so it just made sense to put the washer to the left of the dryer and, btw, that's how the plumbing and venting systems were set up as well. Guess I would be out of my comfort zone with all of these "new" machines! Good luck to those of you who have them! Smile

Great thread, conrad, about something I've never thought about before ~ so does everyone remember which way the doors opened on the ones they have owned? Will be interesting to learn...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I am thinking the "old machines" many of us had, we just really got used to, and tended to go back to the same door openings.
These large appliances used to run trouble free for decades...now often a replacement is needed far too soon (or nearly as expensive a repair). Not as much of a chance to get used to a certain configuration, and more choices to opt for. I still choose white...at least they will color match. =)

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My front loader doors are set up for washer on the left, dryer on the right. Coincidentally, my plumbing and venting are set up the same way and my house is 20+ years old.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Ok, survey seems to say, it is solved. Then it must just be my luck and the odd way my homes have been set up for laundry. Wink

Either way, much better than the way my mom did when growing up.
The ringer washer and rinse tubs. One often used the same water in the machine for all the loads. Started with really hot for the whites, wring, rinse in galvanized wash tub, wring again (then tote the stuff out to hang on the line to dry). Then the colors/main laundry items went in the same water. Same drill. And finally my DD's work clothes last. If the water cooled, one just drained a bit if necessary and added more hot water. And DM used a wooden stir stick/pole to lift the really hot clothes up to the wringer. Whew...I sure have it easy.

Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm the odd duck! My washer has always been on the right.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Until this house, washer on left - dryer on right. Backwards in this house but it fits the front loaders.

Posts: 16451 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Timetosew
posted Hide Post
Another washer on the right and dryer on the left. I can't remember it being any other way in the 10 houses I lived in.

Posts: 178 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Washer on the right and dryer on left side. I have to make sure to get a drop down style door for dryer.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Well yeah! Some more with washers on the right, survey reopened! Maybe my homes have not been so weird after all.

At least both doors on mine now hinge on the outsides to open to the space between. Makes transferring the clothes from one to the other much easier. Little things can sure make a difference.

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
My house and we have been here for 40 years. was set up for the washer on the right and dryer on the left. my washers all had the doors open from the right and the dryers all had the doors open from the left. We have had to change the way the doors open for every new washer and dryer we have ever gotten.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3427 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've lived in three houses and never once thought about where the machines sat. Wink
The last two houses have had the washer/left, dryer/right set-up. The first place, I lived in 43 years ago, before my memory went south. But I'm pretty sure it was the same W/L, D/R configuration. I don't have any memory of aggravation in having to reach around the dryer door to plop the wet clothes in. I'd remember that, right?

Have you seen any episodes of "The House of Bryan" on DIY? [He's a sweetheart of a hunky construction guy who actually knows his trade, unlike other egomaniacs and inept underwear models who populate these kinds of shows.] But I degress... Wink Each episode showed him building a part of his own dream house. When he got to the laundry room, his idea was to put the two front loaders across the narrow room from each other; his wife was insistent on having them side-by-side until she finally relented to keep the peace. The machines facing each other was a brilliant set-up. The clothes could be plucked right from the washer to the dryer in one motion.
Not everyone has the right size dedicated laundry room to do it that way, but it does work well.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
nettiejay, Bryan's brilliant laundry room plan makes a lot of sense to me for plumbing/venting reasons too!

Ideally one would want any water supply lines/hookups/drains on/in an interior wall (at least in cold winter climates) and the dryer venting going directly out an exterior wall.

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
My washer and dryer are on opposite walls just like Nettiejay described Bryan's laundry room. I could easily turn and toss the clothes into the dryer if I wanted too but I always shake them out first and inspect them to make sure they are completely clean. What is the purpose of food if you can't end of wearing part of it? That seems to be what happens to our clothes. I just wish I could figure out how because we don't wipe our hands on our clothes.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still tryin:
What is the purpose of food if you can't end of wearing part of it?

LOL Big Grin
It happens here, too... To me when I cook it and to DH when he eats it.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I've always had my washer on the RIGHT. It would seem odd to me to have it left of the dryer. The plumbing and dryer vent has always been that way too.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
lol

When the plumber recently came, he saw how we have the washer on the right, dryer on the left. How the doors are opposite. He said his house had the same problem. It is able to switch them. I've just given up and have the basket ready to empty into and transfer to the other. The clothes are still getting washed and dried. Smile I don't have to go down to the river with a washboard.

Posts: 5043 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
In my three houses, it's always been washer right and dryer left. I'm just used to it, I guess! But I do think my DD's is just the opposite. Never given it much thought until now.

I have top loaders and I don't really reach "over" the lid to get to the dryer -- it's up and out. And my dryer door swings down. I think at one time I had a hinged one and it was awkward. Considering that I've only had 3 sets, I had the awkward one a long time!

Martha

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, This has been a fun thread and brought up something that I've never really given a thought to before! My set-up of washer left and dryer right has always worked ~ and, crosses fingers, will continue to work for a long time still...

But when the day comes that they need replacement, I am going to remember this thread and check to make sure which way the doors open so THANKS! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First house: washer (top loading) on right, dryer on left

Second house: washer (front loading) on right, dryer on left. Doors opened into each other. Didn't like at all.

Current house: washer (same front loader) on left, dryer on right. Much better for doors!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my parent's house (built circa 1960) the washer was on the right/dryer on the left.

In all 3 of the houses I've owned, it's been washer on the left/dryer on the right.

The one thing (in my case) that HAS been consistent is that the dryer was always closest to the exterior wall. Maybe it had something to do with the dryer vent?

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Would a switch of positions be possible if needed for new machines?

Just extend the dryer vent hose and electric plug. Then swap out washer hoses for longer ones.

Hmmm, just thinking it might work.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
That is what I just did in this house, Beau's Rose.
The retirement home, we had to have them do the same, because the front load LG washer does not come with the door switch option (hinged on left only).

The electric cords and drain lines were all plenty long on LG's, so as we were just swapping sides, no real issue, dryer vent just goes diagonally now. But one can buy longer hose lines if needed.

Now if one has a gas dryer...might be a different story?

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
That is what I just did in this house, Beau's Rose.
The retirement home, we had to have them do the same, because the front load LG washer does not come with the door switch option (hinged on left only).

The electric cords and drain lines were all plenty long on LG's, so as we were just swapping sides, no real issue, dryer vent just goes diagonally now. But one can buy longer hose lines if needed.

Now if one has a gas dryer...might be a different story?

You have to run a gas line to your dryer if it is a gas dryer. I've always had gas dryers. They have to be set up to vent outside 3 feet away from any window or door because of the gas exhaust fumes.

Regarding your LG washer how long is the drain line hose? Is it long enough to reach a drain tub?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The drain line from the LG washer, was stuffed quite a ways down into the "stand pipe", so I was happy that it was long enough after pulling out a foot or so of it. They have these crazy plastic ribbed ones now. Used to be the heavy black rubber?

On the gas dryer, I assume the actual gas line fitting is into a rigid pipe...not a hose? So that could be even more of an issue with placement, than the vent?

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
The gas dryer line is a flexible metal hose that attaches to a gas supply pipe. The last time I checked the code, the flexible hose couldn't be longer than 6 feet in California. You would have to extend the supply pipe. The other issue is gas dryers still require an electrical cord and outlet because you need electricity to turn the drum.

The hose has to be flexible or you wouldn't be able to pull the dryer out to clean under it. I found that out because I wanted to clean under the dryer and pulled too hard on the dryer and broke the hose where it connected to the gas pipe. The gas company came out replaced the hose, fixed the pipe and added a shut off valve for $50.00. If I didn't have the gas company take care of it, then and there, he would have been required by law to shut off the gas to the entire house until I had the line repaired. Not that I minded because his price was dirt cheap and I wasn't thrilled with gas leaking into the house. My gas company will come out immediately if there is a gas leak and not charge anything.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
6 feet should be plenty to do lots of cleaning, and hopefully enough to change places with the washer should the need arise. Smile

Curious...just because with a range, it is usually just enough to pull it out away from the wall to connect or disconnect, for replacement or repair.

Picture of anneyland
posted Hide Post
Really interesting thread Conrad...let's see...most of my w/d set ups have been washer left, dryer right best my memory serves.

I wonder if it's a regional thing?

I do know one thing... I will always have a gas dryer, no front load washer either...ha..I guess that's two things..lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 922 | Location: Longing for the beach | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up, our washer was on the right, with a huge basin right next to it. My sister lives in the house now and I'm sure that's still her configuration.

In my house, built in 1999, washer on left, dryer on right.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post