Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Help!!! No underwear for me unti lwinter!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!!! No underwear for me unti lwinter!!!! Sign In/Join 
posted
Well, sort of... Just moved to the Cape and did not realize how the humidity affects all my furniture. Anyhow, shoved my bureau drawer closed, which has all my underpanties and bras, and it has swollen shut. I can't get to it from below or above as it is an older bureau and has the wooden dividers so I can't get to it and put in a light bulb to shrink the wood. Any thoughts? Hope I did not shove it in so hard it will never open.

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Is there AC in your house? If so, if its running that should help dry it out but will take a few days. Meanwhile, a trip to the store?? Or go commando?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
OH NO! GF, you are just going to have to make a run to the discount store and buy some more bloomers and corsets!

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Wow. Never heard THAT one before.

Even if there are wooden dividers, if you can get the next lower drawer out you can still try the light bulb trick. After all, the divider would be as swollen as the drawer box above it, right? The heat would shrink both of them, right?
Goes without saying: Keep the bulb from directly contacting the wood. Would give new meaning to the term 'hot pants'.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
every summer the humidity swells the wood in my built in drawers in my d.r. No undies there, just tablecloths and napkins.

Usually a strong man can still pull the drawers open and just this year DH trimmed one of the drawers down.

I would not try the lightbulb thing.
Too risky and too inadequate.

I would try the strong male thing though. If there is so much humidity in your home that it is affecting furniture, that is not good for the furniture. You probably need a dehumidifier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I too would either run the air conditioner and/or use a dehumidifier.

If those options don't work, then at least you won't have to do laundry for a little while Big Grin

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No central A/C and the strong man only resulted in me yelling," Your'e pulling off the knobs!!!!" I guess I can wait for drier weather , I just hope I didn't shove it in cockeyed and jammed it. Stitches, I am WAAAYYY past the commando stage.. it was time for new undies anyways- will post pics !

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
If you jammed the drawer in cockeyed you can try lifting the corners the bottom of the drawer and pulling up slightly while pulling outwards. You should be able to feel if one side is harder to pull than the other. If you can try a butter knife using the thin part if the blade to lift bottom drawer slightly.

If you can get the drawer open enough to fit your fingers in try pulling out as much as you can. It's possible that you jammed a bra or a pair of underwear in the drawer where the drawer slides. If you do get the drawer open pull it all the way out and check to see if there are any items that fell behind or beneath the drawer.

You could also try blowing a fan on the drawer if it's a humidity problem and have no other way of removing the moisture. Pull out the drawer beneath the stuck drawer so more air from the fan can circulate around the stuck
drawer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2654 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Stitches, I am WAAAYYY past the commando stage.. it was time for new undies anyways- will post pics ![/QUOTE]

LOL!

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandlance:
No central A/C and the strong man only resulted in me yelling," Your'e pulling off the knobs!!!!" I guess I can wait for drier weather , I just hope I didn't shove it in cockeyed and jammed it. Stitches, I am WAAAYYY past the commando stage.. it was time for new undies anyways- will post pics !

LOL - I've been giggling all afternoon over your stuck drawers Razz

Once it dries a bit, pick up bumpers (like for behind pictures to protect the wall) and place one on each corner of the drawer to keep it from closing too deep. I've got an old dresser that actually has s-crews installed to allow for adjustment. I'll post a pic.

OK - here's a photo - two per drawer and in the top left/right side of the dresser. Perhaps you can add something like this. These are original to the piece though, not added to it. Be careful with older furniture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bottom drawer in my old oak dresser hangs up when I try to shut it. It opens just fine. I have a chunk of bees wax that I grab and run on the top of the drawer box as well as the outside of it on occasion.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Wow-wee, now you have an actual excuse to go Commando..... hope there is someone in the home with you to appreciate it.... LOL! Smile
Or.... you Can run to Victoria's Secret & replace your 'bloomers' (LOL!!!) with something nicer!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do know what Victoria's secret is don't you? Doesn't fit anyone over 30!!! Wink

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Usually a strong man can still pull the drawers open......
I would try the strong male thing though

And you don't even have to wait to have 'stuck drawers' in the first place.... Live dangerously!!! WinkSmile

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
You do know what Victoria's secret is don't you? Doesn't fit anyone over 30!!! Wink

Yeah, my niece has shopped there since she was 15 y.o. and still shops there (she's 24)
Have you SEEN the women who carry those lil pink Victoria Secret bags? Many of them haven't seen 30 in ages. All shapes and sizes carry the Victoria Secret bags, at least done yonder in NJ!!! (probably with a tuna fish sammy inside for lunch!)
(And I was kidding about V.S. anyway!) Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

posted Hide Post
Love the bumper idea-once we get below 94% humidity- I will try it.I'mjust mad at myself- I continued to push the drawewrshut- thinking (not) thatI would keep it from swelling more!! Re Victoria's Secret- I'm too big for thir bras( na na' na na' na}get what I'm trying to say- Their 36ds are more like 34Bs - give me my Flower Balis any day

posted Hide Post
Just because "mature" women carry VS bags, doesn't mean that they wear what's in them!

Sandlance is correct about sizing. When I remarried at the ripe old age of 44, I went all out and bought VS matching undies set. Wore them one time on wedding day...oh with a pair of thigh-high stockings. Wore NONE of them ever again. Barely fit and were uncomfortable to boot.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
OMG, I did something similar! I still have about 20 pairs of very pretty bikini underwear (with flowers, ruffles, pretty!) I bought when I was either 'seriously' dating or engaged. I haven't wore them in ages, err, I mean decades.... I would give them to my DD but she's too skinny for them. I could throw them out, but they're in perfect condition (hardly wore them I guess, like you!!!)

posted Hide Post
Waverider- solution - hang your bikini underwear out on the clothesline ( while the bloomers are in the dryer) and get the neighbors talking

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
I have a piece in my dining room that has 1 drawer and 2 doors on bottom. Think it's was some kinda storage/serving piece for a dining room. Doors and drawers stuck horribly and I was afraid I was gonna "pull the knobs off".Once I finally got it open (thin paint scraper could fit in cracks), liberally rub any part that something slid against with??? Soap? An old candle? I've never totally closed the doors or drawer fully since.

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
haha on the VS but I do wear the full coverage style on my upper torso. Even in my size I find them comfortable and the elastic soft......back to the stuck drawer....my dad had some thin strips of Teflon-type plastic that sticks to the bottom edges of drawers. Worked wonderful for his antique dresser. Got the product at the woodworking place.

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Humidity dropped to 42% and the undies have been released. Phew- hadn't made it to a store for 'reinforcments'

Pinecone- going to look for the strips
Thank you all for the ideas and laughter, until my next life crisis.....

posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be nice if all of our "life crisis(es)" Wink were of this caliber. We just have to remember these to make the tough ones easier to get through.