Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Wood plaque above kitchen cabinets is showing dust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood plaque above kitchen cabinets is showing dust Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I have a decorative wooden kitchen sign way up high on the wall, almost right over the stove. I just looked up at it closely and it looks like fuzz is growing on it. I am sure that the sign is sticky with grime and when the floating dust in the air lands on it, it sticks to the sign.

What product would you use to clean it up? Would swiping a wet Magic Eraser over it do the job?

Posts: 6061 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I use a damp, soapy cloth on almost everything. It should work well.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr.Clean liquid, or Fantastik will do the trick. Other all-in-one cleaner products that cuts grease will work.

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I would probably wash with a wet soapy rag that has had some bleach mixed in with the cleaner.

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
I like Grapefruit's suggestion of a damp soapy cloth. I'd use a dish washing product for the soap seeing as how there is most likely kitchen grease in the whiskers. And then if that doesn't get it as clean as you want try something stronger. Maybe 409 spray. I'd use bleach only as a last resort.

Martha

Posts: 7165 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I would use Goo Gone. I've needed to clean up that kind of greasy dirt before... For example, the edges of the ceiling fan blades and a metal plaque that used to hang on the soffit near the stove. A wet soapy rag doesn't cut it.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
And I use full strength Mean Green. It cuts the grease and cleans at the same time.
I only use googone for tacky things like where tape has been or pine tar or labels on items....and it will take unwanted paint splatters off lots of things too.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I used Fantastic to do the job and it turned out great.

ga.karen, I don't think we get Mean Green in our area. Good to know that Goo Gone works on paint splatters.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops works better for paint.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post