Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

handbag storage Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Where and how do you all store your pocketbooks?

This has been a problem for me as I acquire more and keep most. If I have them out of sight I tend not to change too often. Currently they are in about 4 or 5 different places.

I have come up with an idea which DD can build to store them in an easily seen and accessible space.

How many do you have? I must have about 20 or so; most either black or red? why? who knows? Not counting evening bags.

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a canvas hanging storage that looks sort of like this except mine is longer and holds more.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
I use something similar to the picture above. Mine is clear plastic so I can see what I have shoved in there...LOL

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7638 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Hahaha....on my shoulder?
Actually I only have about 3 purses that ever get used. One that I currently use nearly all the time and a couple for more formal/special occasions. Closet shelf works for the two that seldom get to go out. Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do have one of those plastic hanging things but it is not enough spaces.

I must like pocketbooks but I do keep them. Have one from the '60s and one DD got me in Italy in '84! I buy some at charity places or consignment shops (a red alligator from Cole Hahn!)

Rainy dreary day here so DH got right on that assignment but he needs some more wood from the transfer station. I will post a pic of it when done. Now only if I had a light in my closet!

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have something similar to the hanging bag, plus I added a shelf in my closet above my shoe rack that I store purses. I don't change often, but I do like to buy them. Wink I like the better purses that come with covers. I also stuff empty purses with tissue paper to help them hold their shape.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I have installed double robe hooks on the back of my closet wall.

They are similar to these. The purses hang on them easily. Just have to slide the clothes over to take one down.

Good luck with your project!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My 3 or 4 fit on my closet shelf. All my evening bags are inside zip lock bags to keep them clean...they are lined up on the shelf.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So funny once I got to thinking about it ~ I used to love purses as well as buying them ~ but I haven't carried one or bought one in over 15 years. It's funny because I actually had to think back as to the last time I used one and realized that it was probably in the late 1990s! Smile

No particular reason why; it just evolved over time. The last purse I used was a beautiful leather bag my parents brought back from Italy for me ~ loved it and carried every thing except the proverbial kitchen sink in it. Then one day it was just easier to grab a small coin purse - with my driver's license, credit cards, lipstick and small built-in mirror, I realized that I really didn't need anything more.

When traveling, I put spare sunglasses, tissues, pen and small notebook into my camera case and I do have a very small black evening bag (about 3"x4") for nights out in nice restaurants. All of the rest were donated to the local thrift store that supports animals years ago and I haven't missed them since.... Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see your idea Lady!

I recently went through my handbags and donated many of them to a thrift shop. The few I kept I can fit on a shelf in my closet. I also have a small plastic bin for the clutches and evening bags so that they don't get dusty. That fits on the shelf too.

What gets to be a problem for me are tote bags. I need them for carrying samples etc, and I love to have several different ones. They are in my coat closet, and laundry room, and in the back of my car, and under my desk, and.....you get the idea. Tote bags can take over my world sometimes.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Handbags I hang in my closet, clutches are in my jewelry armoire. I have the same problem as Cocok. I'm looking at 3 under my desk as I type and I have a big tote full of empty totes in my closet. Land's End totes are the best Smile

Posts: 2130 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tote bags can take over my world sometimes.

Well of course being from Maine, I have to carry L.L. Bean boat bags for totes. I have a ton of these too, for grocery shopping etc.

DD has a friend who has a very successful corporate gift business. She has been called the "bag lady of Wall Street" she gave me a couple and I love those.

When the bag container is finished I have to paint it and will have to do so outdoors which will probably take some time with the rotten weather we are having. My bedroom paint is oil

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
All my purses are leather. I have 3 backpack-style, 3 satchel-type, 4 over-the-shoulder, 2 regular-type handbags, 4 fanny-packs, and one nylon LeSac travel purse. I regularly use only about 4 or 5 of these, the rest sit on my closet shelf gathering dust.

DH is a woodworker/handyman in his retirement and I'm interested in see what LOS has designed!

Unfortunately, if it requires wall space, I'm afraid DH got there first. He has about 25 ball caps hanging on 25 pegs that he has attached to one long strip of wood which is nailed to the top of the free closet wall (which includes over the doorway).

Forgot to mention that I have one evening bag and it is stored in my dresser drawer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I had California Closets come a couple of years ago and made built ins, pull down shelving and glassed cabinets for purses, shoes, jewelry, for both my closet and my husbands. It helps to keep every thing organized and controls the dust factor. We had to do this b/c my husband is VERY allergic to dust mites and has to be very careful to avoid them any way he can. This works for us.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your system sounds wonderful Spanish Revival.

I like Beau's Rose's idea of the hooks too and may try to have one or two of them for smaller bags.

I like leather too, but have other materials.

Seems we all have different attitudes to the number of bags we have. I like bags, not so much shoes.

My idea is simplicity itself but I thought about this long and hard before I came up with it.

What I realize is that things used seldom should really have front and center space. Otherwise you will forget them. Whereas favorite things are worth a search!

posted Hide Post
I make purses so I have quite a few of them plus some from Coach, Brighton, I hang them on a clothes tree in my bedroom, also the tote bags, adds color to the room.

Wanda

Posts: 1724 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Jun 29, 2013 01:42 PM Hide Post
I make purses

Do you have a website? I would like to see them.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My solution is not pretty but it works for me. I use a sturdy wooden hanger and simply put the purse handle over the hook and hang the whole things on the closet bar. I put as many on one hanger as it can hold. I do the same with tote bags. I need only three hangers for my purses.

Of course, the whole "glob" is kind of wide, but they are corralled in one location.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
wow..
I guess I must have been absent on the day they passed out the "girly" gene stuff. I own 2 handbags. 1 leather shoulder bag and a Vera Bradley tote a friend gave me as a gift that I carry my watercolor supplies in.

I have 3 pairs of shoes.

I'm not dissing anyone, but am genuinely curious, what do people do with more than a couple of bags or pairs of shoes, or changes of clothes?

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Hey Kathy, I understand and can kind of relate?

I have a couple dressy shoe pairs, one light colored sandal, other black flat that seem to cover most occasions (got rid of any uncomfortable shoes). I do have 3 different pairs of hiking boots (depending on terrain/conditions), two pairs of winter snow boots. And a pair of Teva sandals for water wading/hiking.
Instead of multiple purses, I have a couple of different sized back packs and a camelbak small pack for water.
And I also have two LARGE LandsEnd canvas totes and a smaller zip up one for all my road travel packing. Only use suitcases when flying, and try to limit to one carry on.

Can you tell I am an outdoor girl, not a girly girl???Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
what do people do with more than a couple of bags or pairs of shoes, or changes of clothes?

A bag or pocket book is a source of aesthetic enjoyment (like any other object, personal, decorative, necessary, unnecessary)

Also I am of an advanced age (79) and so I have lots of lots of things because I have acquired them.

Now that the construction phase is over I will go on to straightening out my closet and then take pics.

I don't now nor ever have done any hiking etc. I got a back pack once and hated it. Seemed like a very inconvenient item to me, although I must say in exploring a battle ship it is a good thing to use.

I'm not too sure what you all mean by totes. I mean I have some open topped bags that are fairly rigid and I have a ton of cloth bags that I use for grocery shopping when I remember.

BTW this is a pet peeve of mine. My cloth bags hold more than the plastic or paper bags that stores supply. So I find bag people fill them up so they are way too heavy for me. Even though I may have put a whole lot of them on the conveyor belt.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I have the opposite problem!!

The cashier seems afraid to put more than a few things in my reusable cloth shopping bag. So I end up repacking my bags so they are FULL!

Luckily I have a very big strong strapping DH and an equally strapping DS and 2 grands who fight to show off how much they can lift.. I haven't unloaded groceries in at least 10 yeears!!

LOS a tote is just that an open topped bag. A VB tote is meant to be more purse like and doesnt hold an awful lot.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:
wow..
I guess I must have been absent on the day they passed out the "girly" gene stuff. I own 2 handbags. 1 leather shoulder bag and a Vera Bradley tote a friend gave me as a gift that I carry my watercolor supplies in.

I have 3 pairs of shoes.

I'm not dissing anyone, but am genuinely curious, what do people do with more than a couple of bags or pairs of shoes, or changes of clothes?

So with you on everything you said -- though you may have more shoes than I do! LOL

I have one clutch wallet that I use -- leather, second hand from garage sale.

I am prepping to move in the next few months -- yesterday I found one purse and three extra clutches that went into the sale box. The purse was leftover from my work days which ended 6 years ago--has not been used since. The clutches I got at yard sales "in case" the one I am using wore out.

I do have a lot of cloth bags and totes -- I am known around town as the "bagless" lady, 99.9% of the time refusing the plastic bags.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am known around town as the "bagless" lady, 99.9% of the time refusing the plastic bags

ITA on this. I re-use everything. waste can liners, food scrap receptacles, hand covers for painting (newspaper plastics are great for this)

I keep fantacizing (spelled wrong) about making floor mats out of plastic bags!

posted Hide Post
Oh, handbags. One of my weaknesses! I don't think I've ever owned a "good" handbag. I usually buy them at Walmart or Ross or Marshalls for about $10-$15. It is simply something I love.

But, I have had to pare down.

My current stock was stored in a laundry basket stored on the top shelf of my closet. On my most recent purge, I was able to give away enough to store my remaining ones in one of those cardboard file boxes.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I was over at a friends house the other day, she has a 7 year old precious little girl. I brought pumpkin seeds and was eating some... the little girl said "these are so good, do you have anymore?", I said yes, they're in my pocketbook... she got a strange look on her face... "you keep a book in your pocket?"... I'm thinking today the younger crowd refers to it as a "purse"!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I like shoes, but these days I don't wear too many different ones. I am all about comfort these days. As for purses, the smaller the better, just so it will hold MY necessities. I don't carry stuff for DH!! And I usually carry it until it wears out. Can't be bothered changing purses every few days. I've got several, but I always go back to the ones that are very organized -- a slot for my phone, slot for my keys, just enough room for my glasses and then its own compartment for money and credit cards so I don't have to use a wallet.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6200 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post