Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  your own personal or customary cleaning habit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your own personal or customary cleaning habit Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
In the summer if we have very humid days for a period of time, our cellar will begin to have an unpleasant odor. We immediately open the windows and turn on large fans to dissipate the odor.

Other than that my house always smells agreeable to me in coming home (which is the only time I think about it)

Just recently it occurred to me why this is. I always clean every new item I bring into the house. If I buy a blouse I launder it before wearing, if I get a plate or other china it goes into the dish washer, wooden things I wash by hand, silver I polish, etc etc.

In the linens I got the other day (see Mon Morn finds) there were some strips of battenburg trim. I don't want these, I will see if my DD does for the costume dept in the H.S. but for even that short a period of time I will wash these.

Other than that I don't mind disorder or even some dust.

Is there anything you do that is special to keep your house to your own personal "peak" of perfection?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12587 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am probably the worst housekeeper in the world.
My specialty, when I get the urge to clean, is to remove my contact lenses, amazing how good the house looks. LOL!

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Living in the country on a dirt road surrounded by pasture grassland and farm fields I have come to accept that I'm going to have dust. The dust doesn't bother me however a messy house does!
Each morning I make sure my beds are made, my kitchen sink is wiped clean and all dishes are put away, bathrooms are clean and the house is in "presentable" order just in case I don't make it back home! My DH and I have had many discussions in our 30+ marriage about my refusal of leaving the house in disarray. He would say "we aren't even going to be here!" That's one argument he will never win!

I am also a firm believer in Lysol "White Linen" disinfectant spray Smile

Posts: 2221 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Living in the country on a dirt road

I live in a town Georgia Peach but this summer with all the road construction on our street I first hand experienced real dust from the environment.

As soon as they were done I washed the wall, furniture and floor on our front porch. Boy were they dirty, but outside after soaping everything it gets hosed off which is fun.

I got a laugh out of the dishes being put away, when I spent time with my sisters recently. The oldest one would not even let me start dinner till she emptied the dish drainer. I could happily have left it for a day or two!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysmom49:
I am probably the worst housekeeper in the world.
My specialty, when I get the urge to clean, is to remove my contact lenses, amazing how good the house looks. LOL!

ROFLMAO!

I also live in the country off of a lime rock road. Even though the road is about 1,000ft away the dust still filters though the woods and ends up on every horizontal surface in the house. Roll Eyes

I try to keep the windows closed for one thing, that helps with the pollen from hundreds of trees too. I change my A/C filters once a month instead of the recommended 3 months. I usually walk around with a slightly damp cloth and wipe the surfaces off. We have lots of dark polished wood surfaces so the dust shows easily.

The whole house has smooth concrete floors so I have one of those commercial dust mops about 3 feet wide and pass that around often. Vacuuming dog hair is a daily thing.

Editing to add: I always wash new linens or towels when I bring them home, clothes not so much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7414 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
.............I am also a firm believer in Lysol "White Linen" disinfectant spray Smile

I've been using the same for years....love it!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7414 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm of the school that doesn't mind a bit of dust, but a messy and disordely house drives me nuts- My routine pretty much parallels Georgia Peach. Truth be told, it has to be all done before I leave the house. I always feel if something happened to me in the outside world, those coming to my house would always find order. Call me weird!!

Posts: 3121 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL I wear contact lenses too...and the house is cleaner when they are off and I put on my 1970 glasses!!! Since I just wear them first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening I've seen no need to buy another pair. Smile

I don't mind dust. If you visit and sign your name in the dust, just don't date it!

Laundry is done timely...as needed...not just on "wash day."
It seems to take me longer to sort and put away, put it does get done...I do not like piles or clutter.
Every time DH leaves his motorcycle helmet/gear in the dining room (which is every time he rides) I move it to a chair in the bedroom that was designated for the gear when he told me the dining room was convenient to him...
My kitchen is clean. I cannot understand why DH cannot put his snack dish/glass in the dishwasher instead of leaving it in the sink all by its lonesome.

I have a basket beside my chair with a couple of paperbacks, a journal, nail file and a buffer, pen and paper, hand lotion, and foot cream. When company comes...especially if small children are with them...I can pick up the basket and deposit it in my closet.

I do not burn candles. I do not like potpourri. I like CLEAN and fresh.

Posts: 17046 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a basket beside my chair with a couple of paperbacks, a journal, nail file and a buffer, pen and paper, hand lotion, and foot cream.

That sounds like me but mine is a box. I have hand lotion, cuticle cream, pen (hopefully) emery boards. also usually have a stack of magazines and a pile of books on the table. Dh complains that there is no place to put his tea cup (if we are having that!)

We need something there that has shelves with doors to hide stuff.

Our current table is inadequate.

BTW other people's disorder bothers me much more than my own. that is in my house. DH often piles things up to go to the basement. I do too, but only his bothers me. Probably because I know what and where my things belong but not his.

Then when Dd visits it is terrible. Books, dvds, laptops, cords etc all over the place!

But it is so worth that disorder to see them!

posted Hide Post
Shoes off in the house. That is my rule. I do not want outside dirt, debris, germs, junk being traipsed all around the house on the bottom of shoes.

Not all who live here follow my rule.

Gee, I think my dh thinks his arm will fall off if he even reaches for the dishwasher or for anything else that will help clean, tidy, or declutter anything in the house or car.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I just try not to let things get 'too' out of hand. We don't have pets anymore, so that helps. I put to-do's on my calendar with the remote possibility that some of them will be done eventually.......

...which brings me to the fact that today is the last day of August and I have to 'transfer' those un-done items on to Sep. aaccckkkkkkk!!

We do have company coming soon, so I will be ramping up my to-do list; hubby is good at helping...especially because his people are the only ones that come...

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
A story about dust. We were visiting DH's cousin, who had been taking care of her husband who had brain cancer. She was busy with all the chores attached to this, so she hadn't time to do her dusting for quite a while. Well we came by to visit him and she was apologizing for not having dusted. I said, "I don't dust very often in case of burglars." "Burglars? she says, "Why?" "Because anything they touched would be covered with dust and their fingerprints." Never mind if they are wearing gloves, I had no solution except I hoped they just give a couple things a swipe or two to get the dust off.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 993 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peppermintpattitotherescue: I said, "I don't dust very often in case of burglars." "Burglars? she says, "Why?" "Because anything they touched would be covered with dust and their fingerprints." Never mind if they are wearing gloves, ...

PMPTTR, You have no idea how true this is ~ some might remember my post last May about being burglarized and losing so many items of personal significance including the china set gathered over 60 years by three generations which simply broke my heart.

It happened at our last home ~ still owned by us although we live now in the new one. Anyway, enough dust had gathered that there were 2 perfect (and distinct) boot prints on the kitchen chair the low-lifes used to stand on to get the china (in their protective cushions) out from the upper cabinets. Detectives first took photgraphs of it and then decided to take the entire chair into evidence...

LOL - we will most likely never recover the items most special to us but I do have to laugh at that kitchen chair with the boot prints being dragged into the courtroom as evidence. Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
How terrible, so sorry! How did the burglars get into your house? And who would think to carry out a china set! Were you away on vacation or out all day long? Usually they take small things or techy things (of course). Did they ever catch the thieves?

Posts: 2428 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
After each meal (and during prep) I tend to hand wash things, since there is often just the two of us, just seems easier. I have to wash my pans/skillets by hand, so why not a sink of hot, soapy water to get everything done. Some get out a clean/dry spoon, pot or knife, I just keep them clean/wash as I prepare a meal.

I very seldom run the dishwasher. DH uses it when I am not in town...when he runs out of dishes at least.Wink

Posts: 9612 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post