Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Clothes out of the dryer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clothes out of the dryer Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
Can clothes coming out of the dryer be folded an put away immediately? I've noticed that when I do this, the clothes have a "sour" smell.

Posts: 597 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, I have no idea why that would be. I often do that, but have never noticed a sour smell. Are you certain that they are thoroughly dry?

Posts: 3198 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sour smell was something I was noticing about a year back. It didn't occur to me that the clothes might not be entirely dry, but I HAVE started putting all loads thru the auto-dry cycle twice. I use borax with my Tide detergent and I suspected that I was using too much borax, so I also cut down on that. Whatever was causing it, the sour smell seems to have been solved.

Posts: 3462 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If your clothes are souring...they are not totally dry.

My mother always complained when her mother-in-law helped with the laundry...even back in the day of hanging clothes on the clothes line...she would bring them in to fold before they were completely dry.

Posts: 17189 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The liberal use (current or past) of dryer sheets or liquid softener can leave a wax coating on fabrics. Once wet, they have a very difficult time drying all the way through...thus the mildew/sour smell can form.

Vinegar soak/wash/rinse (as a mild acid) is a common way to remove this coating...and of course stop using the softeners.

Posts: 9638 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I always fold clothes right out of the dryer and have never had a sour smell. As the others said, I'd suspect they weren't dry and actually did sour.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6680 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree...no doubt they were not completely dry. Thick fabrics like terry cloth towels frequently require extra time to dry thoroughly.

Posts: 18701 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I agree about the not totally dry diagnosis. Other wise I prefer to dry t shirts, and cotton knit shirts etc as soon as they come from dryer. But I seldom make that!

Posts: 12800 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I agree they might be slightly damp. I have also noticed DD's clothes have that slightly sour smell and I think I know what causes it. She loves heavily perfumed laundry soaps. Gain being her favorite. She washes with that, uses the matching fabric softener liberally as she loves the scent, and sometimes even adds the scent you can buy separately! IMO all that product is building up in the clothes.

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Becky56, With so much waxy buildup on fabrics, I think it would be nearly impossible for heavy cottons or terry cloth to actually get dry, even on a long dry cycle in a dryer?

This is what people do not realize who regularly keep coating their fabrics with softeners.
Often our cottons, t-shirts, towels are not overly dry. (one can sometimes detect even a tiny dampness) I have folded these and put them away, and NEVER had any residual sour/mildew smell from them.

(This was not true a couple decades ago when I used to use liquid fabric softener) Seemed if they were not dryer baked or line dried in the sun, they could often smell a bit.

Posts: 9638 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weakestlink:
Can clothes coming out of the dryer be folded an put away immediately? I've noticed that when I do this, the clothes have a "sour" smell.

Yes, I've always had this; I hate to overdry clothes as they get extra wrinkly, so I hang some things on a hanger in the guest bathroom til the next day. Sheets get flung over a closet door in the guest room til next day. Looks messy, but I don't have a basement or anywhere else to hang them

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
About the waxy build up....if you use dryer sheets, this also happens on your dryer lint filter which will slow down drying. The lint filter screen should be scrubbed with a brush and some kind of soap to remove that build up. You can test your screen by trying to run water through it...before & after cleaning...look for the difference.
I clean mine about every 3 months.
It also keeps dry costs down a bit.
And don't forget to clean out the outside dryer vent too...those can get clogged with lint also.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4942 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I had an answer from these boards once about the dryer not drying well, check the vent to be sure it is not blocked. That was our problem. I also lay things out till the next day if just a little damp. I usually dry outside on line in lanai. The towels have to go in the dryer otherwise they are like sand paper.

html

Posts: 2521 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
And I just wanted to add that you don't need dryer sheets on items that are 100% cotton, like towels and sheets. Dryer sheets are useful to keep polyester type fabrics from having a static buildup, but the dryer sheets also reduce the absorbency of those cotton towels and sheets (and they won't get static anyway.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ga.karen, I just bought a dryer and it said, in capital letters, do not wash the filter. Have no idea why and it probably does not apply to all dryers. But I thought I should mention to check your owners manual first.... If you want to pay attention to it, that is.

Posts: 7115 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Ga.karen, I just bought a dryer and it said, in capital letters, do not wash the filter. Have no idea why and it probably does not apply to all dryers. But I thought I should mention to check your owners manual first.... If you want to pay attention to it, that is.

Are you talking about the lint screen?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4942 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Doesn't it sound odd? I can't imagine why but that is what it said.

Posts: 7115 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post