Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Lets's talk cleaning routines...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets's talk cleaning routines... Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
Hi all: I haven't been on here in months due to an injury by vacuuming; nothing serious, but none the less, extremely painful (pulled a muscle in my gluteous maximus).

Anyway, I can no longer clean all in one day, but I just haven't come up with a 'plan' where I do a little each day. Seems like nothing is ever really clean that way????%^#%^

Help...Thanks Smile

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You must be tired of "pain in the but t" remarks!!! And no, if you just do a little each day, everything will never be "done" (I prefer that word to "clean" because I don't necessarily consider clutter as "unclean".) I have a small house so this works for me: Shortly before the holidays (or any time it seems necessary) I concentrate on one room a day and do a thorough job of vacuuming, dusting, waxing furniture, etc.--which includes taking every object/book off or out of every surface/bookcase--you get the idea. Of course, I still keep up with the everyday chores of making beds, washing dishes. I like to leave the kitchen for last so that the stainless appliances are bright and shiny for the abuse they are about to take!!!!

One of my favorite tasks in the past was to get down and use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax on my hardwood floors. There is something soul-satisfying about freshly waxed floors. But I always dispaired afterwards that yes the floors are perfect, but look at everything else that needs doing! Alas, the days when I could crawl around on the floor hand-waxing and buffing to my heart's content are gone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3536 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input, sms...; yes, housework becomes harder each year. I never had that type of floor to contend with, but I can almost smell the fresh was Wink

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Hi CJO, welcome back.

About cleaning. I never clean even one room in a fell swoop anymore. I do what the spirit moves me to do. I do my floors first (usually) because I'm not doing a whole room clean anyway. If you do an hour a day, pick up all the time your house will look pretty presentable.

hook a plastic grocery bag onto a belt loop or some such. Keep a dust cloth in it. Walk around and yank out the cloth and dust what looks dirty. Ignore what doesn't! Keep your kitchen floor swept and don't worry about washing it. When I do wash mine I throw wet rags on the floor, either walk them around with my feet or push them around with a long handled thing I have (just plastic) I then throw some dry rags on the floor and dry the floor off.

DH vacuums our few rugs. Wipe off counters and wipe out sinks daily. (I really only wipe off the kitchen counters daily)

Of course everything is just as clean on a stretched out plan as doing it all at once. After all when you do it all at once, everything starts to get dirty at once. My way, it is staggered. Hope you recover soon.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
-which includes taking every object/book off or out of every surface/bookcase--

Wow, I guess my standards are low. I can't imagine cleaning all of these at one time!

Shutters, bookcases no way!

posted Hide Post
Hey, CJO, good to hear from you again ~ are you enjoying your new home? Sorry to hear about the injury which, in part, caused you to start this new thread...

For myself, I have given up as I realized that I could either spend @ 4 hours a day cleaning house or "call uncle" and do what I feel like doing and forget trying to keep it all clean ~ all of the time! Razz

And the truth is just that ~ it will never be all "clean" unless you decide to spend your entire day doing just that - cleaning. I've tried everything I could think of to do just that and never found a system that worked so I'll be interested in seeing the responses here.

For myself, I've decided that reading a good book, enjoying time outside, playing with the animals, digging in the dirt, catching up with old friends and, in general, just keeping up with everyday life (paying bills, making dinner, buying the necessities) trumps the all-illusive goal of having a clean house although it did take me some time to come to that realization!

Looking forward to any responses on how to achieve all that plus a spotless house as well! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Thanks all......

Yes, Idaho resident, we are enjoying the house overall. It's easier to clean than the last one.

Guess I'm paranoid about cleaning. My first MIL cleaned each and every morning...I could never live up to that. Work-a-holic, that woman.

I know a lady that only cleans when she knows someone is coming...and she is one of the happiest people I know.....Wink

Think I'm probably somewhere in the middle of these two Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
My first MIL cleaned each and every morning...I could never live up to that. Work-a-holic, that woman.

This reminds me of a friends MIL, who said to her once, "the other day as I was dusting off the oil tank. . . !"

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Hi,I'm sorry you hurt yourself and i hope you feel better soon. I think cleaning one or two rooms a day would be okay. You should do one load of laundry,empty trash and do the dishes everyday though.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I'm at an age where I'm beginning to regret having spent so much time cleaning. I actually remember times when I'd send my husband with the kids to the park, so I could get my housework done. Now I look back and wish I'd gone with them.

That said, my current routine is to do 15 minutes of cleaning whatever mess bothers me the most (in addition to the routine dishes, laundry, etc.). Then I STOP, and enjoy my family for the rest of the day!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
"Let's talk cleaning routines..."

LET'S NOT! LOL
After spraining my ankle back in early March, my house got terrible! I did not miss a day of work and only did the minimum at home. After a couple of weeks and weeks to follow, I cannot count the number of times that I said:
These floors sure need cleaned.
The kitchen floor needs sure needs swept.
The bedroom carpet sure needs vacuumed.
Etc. ad nauseam!

"He" never got the hint. One older BFF said I should have issued a directive. Wink

When I could finally stand long enough to do it (two months later), the house was filthy. I had just been able to run a quick broom through the middle. Nothing had been dusted. Meals and laundry was all that I had kept up with. It took me two weekends to clean.

The next weekend DH heard some clinking. I was dusting again. "I thought you did that last week." I reminded him that his mother and mine swept, mopped, and dusted just about every day and I thought I needed to do so at least once a week...or every-other-week at the maximum...

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Annette, Yeah for you. Wonderful attitude.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the best routine ever! Every other Wednesday I leave a check on the kitchen table. When I get home from work, the check is gone, and in it's place I have a clean house! It has saved my husband's life and my sanity!

Holly

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I really clean once a week (on Monday -- oops isn't that "wash day"?) and then the rest of the week (through Friday), I use the dust mop upstairs, spritz the bath and mop the bathroom floor every morning before I come downstairs (putting dirty laundry in the hamper is a given) and then either before or after breakfast, I vacuum downstairs and tidy up that bathroom. The kitchen is tidied after each meal.

Once or twice (and sometimes thrice) a year, I do a really big clean and wash windows and woodwork and go through closets, cabinets and drawers.

Then if there is a job that needs doing, I do it as I have time.

Martha

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm with Holly!!! I leave money on the table.

There's only the two of us, so laundry is done usually once a week. We don't leave stuff lying around so that's not a problem. We keep the kitchen cleaned up daily. And, the hard floors get swept as needed.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with Holly, too!

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Jul 28, 2013 06:42 AM Hide Post
I really clean once a week (on Monday -- oops isn't that "wash day"?) and then the rest of the week (through Friday), I use the dust mop upstairs, spritz the bath and mop the bathroom floor every morning before I come downstairs (putting dirty laundry in the hamper is a given) and then either before or after breakfast, I vacuum downstairs and tidy up that bathroom. The kitchen is tidied after each meal.

Once or twice (and sometimes thrice) a year, I do a really big clean and wash windows and woodwork and go through closets, cabinets and drawers.

Then if there is a job that needs doing, I do it as I have time.

Martha, what does your Monday cleaning entail?

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine vaccuuming and mopping every day! Is your family that messy? Even when my kids lived at home my house didn't get that messy- the kids knew better!

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
[QUOTE].

This reminds me of a friends MIL, who said to her once, "the other day as I was dusting off the oil tank. . . !"

Omg, that is just toooo funny!! I am not a clean freak and clean on an 'as needed basis'. I probably should clean more especially dusting & vacuuming since I have 2 kitties. The truth is I don't have a cleaning routine or schedule. If something looks dirty I clean it! I clean more if I'm expecting company! You can't visit me without a couple days notice.....

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pick up stuff and put it away every day. I try to keep the kitchen and bath room counters clean every day. I mop the kitchen and vacuum twice a week. Dusting when needed.....summer once a month.....winter every two weeks. I like a neat house.....don't look at my closets and drawers, they are sort of a jumble, but the rest of the house is okay.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Speaking of mother in laws and their routines...my MIL, and I am serious here, cleaned every single day, all day. Each and every day she "wiped out the bathrooms" which meant she washed the ceiling, wiped down the walls, cleaned every single thing in there, and washed the floor. Then she proceeded to sterilize the rest of the house top to bottom. She started again the next day, and repeated everything. Needless to say her home was an extreme version of the word spotless.

When my husband and I got married - at 20 years old - he thought "that was just what women did". Ha ha hahahahahhaa. Boy was he in for a big surprise. Maniacal laughter....

I keep a clean house, but I also have a life. I don't have a schedule, but I change the beds every week, clean the bathrooms once a week, vacuum and dust when I see dust or something on the floor. I do my dishes every day, and keep the counters clean. Basically I do what is needed to keep things looking nice, but a clean house isn't my life.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, cocok, your poor MIL! I can't imagine doing that every day. Or even every week or month.

Anyway, I do what is necessary when, or a little after, it is needed. I do the dishes every night (except for tonight) but beyond that, stuff gets cleaned when it is needed. I don't have a routine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
cleaned every single day, all day. Each and every day she "wiped out the bathrooms" which meant she washed the ceiling, wiped down the walls, cleaned every single thing in there, and washed the floor. Then she proceeded to sterilize the rest of the house top to bottom. She started again the next day, and repeated everything. Needless to say her home was an extreme version of the word spotless.

How was that even physically possible? How big was her house, how many children did she have? What about cooking, laundry, school affairs, her other activities?

How many decorative items, books, pictures, furnishings etc did her house contain? What did her family think of all this?

She sounds like a movie I remember called
"Craigs wife" Does it now, looking back make you think she had OCD?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Cocok, your post brought back memories.

When I was a little kid living in New Orleans, we had to stay at a family friend's home during a hurricane because our house was not safe enough. During our entire stay, which was about 4-5 days I woke up to the smell of cleaning solution. Our hostess had a small son who was extremely allergic to dust and several other things. This poor woman cleaned the whole house from top to bottom EVERYDAY. She took everything off the walls and out of the shelves and mopped the floors. Me being only 7 years old I thought it was so strange and felt so sorry for her son, who couldn't even go out and play.

I've also known people with OCD that were germaphobes. It must be very hard to live that way.
My mother cleaned everyday but nothing to that extent. I remember having to strip the wax off the floors every year and wipe the paneling down with "Liquid Gold" every spring.

I was much more worried about things always being "perfect" when I was younger. Now, I don't have that kind of energy. I do have to dust and vacuum everyday. With two large dogs in the house, if I don't I start seeing bunnies. Smile

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zonelady, I can't even imagine dusting and vacuuming every day. How long does it take you to do that?

posted Hide Post
When I was growing up, my mom made me vacuum, dust, and clean the bathroom. I think it was a weekly thing.

A friend of mine had to go live with his aunt, I think it was, because his mom had died We were kids, maybe early high school. Anyway, when I visited him at his aunts, her house was simply immaculate. He said she cleaned it constantly. I just remember him telling me that every night after dinner she would clean for three hours and would clean for two hours after she got home from work before dinner was ready.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:
cleaned every single day, all day. Each and every day she "wiped out the bathrooms" which meant she washed the ceiling, wiped down the walls, cleaned every single thing in there, and washed the floor. Then she proceeded to sterilize the rest of the house top to bottom. She started again the next day, and repeated everything. Needless to say her home was an extreme version of the word spotless.

How was that even physically possible? How big was her house, how many children did she have? What about cooking, laundry, school affairs, her other activities?

How many decorative items, books, pictures, furnishings etc did her house contain? What did her family think of all this?

She is still alive, and she lives in a small retirement apartment. Still cleans. She is a woman with a lot of energy, and no hobbies or interests to speak of. She had 4 children, and a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home. The house was pretty spartan. Not much in terms of decorative items as, "that stuff is just hard to clean around". She is a terrible cook as everything has to come out of a box so that she doesn't have to waste time with cooking. She had every speck of laundry done and put away every day. She was not active in the kids schools or PTA etc.

I have always thought of her cleaning as a little weird, and a little sad in that there are so many other fun things to do in life. A clean house is important to her though, and she is very proud of herself in her cleaning, and likes to show you how clean something is that she just finished cleaning. I don't think her family thought much about it. Just accepted it as normal, although I don't think it is. OCD is an interesting thought, Lady of shallot. That might make it all make sense.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
Zonelady, I can't even imagine dusting and vacuuming every day. How long does it take you to do that?

I vacuum and dust different sections of the house everyday, not the WHOLE house! I would be in traction if I tried to do that. hehe

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Zone9lady, how many sq. ft. do you have to vacuum? For some reason I think your house is really large but I could be mistaken. One of my DB's likes to vacuum and does almost everyday. His house is 3,000 sq.ft. He uses two vacuums, an upright plus a canister to get under the toe kick. He finds it relaxing.

Posts: 2656 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It's 3,000sqft. I have Osteoarthritis in my shoulders and hips so I can't vacuum for more than 20-30 minutes at a time without it hurting.

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
quote:
A clean house is important to her though, and she is very proud of herself in her cleaning, and likes to show you how clean something is that she just finished cleaning.

In a way I think your MIL is very lucky. It would be wonderful to find pride in what you do and satisfaction too. She also must feel very "justified" in what she does so she would have a feeling of pride. I have often thought what a gift it is to those who believe they are following their correct path through life!

posted Hide Post
Wow, I am new to group and great to see so many people helping each other out in making the cleaning and maintenance work much easier. Haven't gone through all the post but really helped me find good tips. Here is a simple input. Most of you guys have found that even after a great cleaning you don't find it satisfactory. Something feels wrong. For me when it looks and smells clean then only I am satisfied. Here is a good way to do that. Check this blog out and many will find it very helpful as the holidays are up and guests will be pouring in. http://ezinearticles.com/?Five...Your-Home&id=8131571

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of isabellaturner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annett:
I'm at an age where I'm beginning to regret having spent so much time cleaning. I actually remember times when I'd send my husband with the kids to the park, so I could get my housework done. Now I look back and wish I'd gone with them.

Wow, I'm new here and this was so poignant I had to chime in. I've wondered if I'd regret my OCD-ish cleaning routine and how it cuts into my time with hubby.

Thank you. This was really brave of you to say. Smile

--Iz

The cutest video of an animal shelter ever: http://blog.petflow.com/if-thi...dont-know-what-will/

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annett:

That said, my current routine is to do 15 minutes of cleaning whatever mess bothers me the most (in addition to the routine dishes, laundry, etc.). Then I STOP, and enjoy my family for the rest of the day!

Annett, sadly I did a similar thing...dh was gone for a military reserves week and I had a little extra money ($25) which was a lot in the late 60s. I spent most of it on the 'lastest cleaning products'!!! I wish I had done something special with ds rather than just cleaning that whole week. I was so proud of what I had done, but of course dh could have cared less. Maybe that's one reason my son pays little mind to me and he never has since he grew up...

posted Hide Post
Cleaning has NEVER been a big deal to me.

As a young wife, DH and I had rather be out hiking or horseback riding. The cleanest my house was back then was when DS was crawling. I kept the floors (at least) clean.

Between jobs, I keep an ultra-clean house. I don't sit and do nothing (I know - double negative) very well at all.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very interesting - this link between our cleaning schedules and our husbands.

I can tell you mine really loves coming home to a pot roast and a clean house. And he does notice when I've steam cleaned and polished the floors. I married a good un. He really appreciates the hard work that went into it.

But my first husband was totally oblivious. So I just hired a housekeeper and called it a day. Ahh, back when I had $. Smile

posted Hide Post
To me, cleaning is a chore that has to be done. Occasionally I find satisfaction when I've done a good job. There are just too many other things I'd rather be doing than cleaning. I think part of my attitude goes back to my mother- she was OCD cleaner- neat freak- and she made it hard for us to relax in the house for fear of something getting dirty or disturbed out of place. Vowed I would never do that to my kids!! But, in spite of my attitude my house is actually clean and picked up most of the time.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again- I am here to make all of you feel like clean freaks!!! I decided to vacuum the other day and when I poked my head in on my 88 year old mother's bedroom,she asked'"Whats that noise, are the snowplows doing the roads again? Maybe I need to vacuum a little more often...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sandlance,

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Smile Big Grin

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About fell off my chair. Thanks for that Sandlance. Smile

posted Hide Post
LOL Just go in and "snow plow" your mother's room. Wink

posted Hide Post
I was a stay-at-home mom while our three kids were growing up. I actually loved when they would all clear out for the day and I could clean the house till it was neat as a pin. When I think of the hours I've spent picking up lego, dirty socks etc. I can't believe it now. However old age takes over and I have fibromyalgia now and need a knee replacement too. Then my husband retired and the kitchen is open 24 hrs. a day...there is never a time when it's completely clean. Coats and shoes at the door, just things left out all the time. I realized it was futile to keep picking up after others so other than the bare minimum, I only really get at the cleaning when we've got company coming...then I'm too exhausted to enjoy their company! On a fixed income, we can't afford a cleaning woman, so I just live with it. I still get quite a bit done, tidying along the way, laundry etc., but it's difficult when one partner likes to LIVE in the house and the other likes it shiny and clean.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KeepYou In Stiches- Can't snowplow her room- too many snow drifts of clothes!!! Good one!

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL One of my mother's friends would have stories to tell every time she visited her mother.

Clothes were piled everywhere. The older grown daughter would go through sniffing each item. Hanging what was clean and washing what wasn't. (Well...I imagined she just sniffed the outer garments and not the undies. Wink ) They lived in two different towns about an hour and a half apart. So you can imagine what was waiting on her if she was too long between visits. Frown