Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flylady Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
I was with a friend today who was really promoting fly lady's cleaning methods. I have no interest at all in following anyone else's instructions but I wonder if any of you follow her?

Is so why? If not and you know about her, why not?

Posts: 13073 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
I'll look at her website every once in a while. She has some good ideas. But what ever you do DO NOT sign up for her emails, you will get dozens and dozens every day!

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7672 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I have used the program in the past, but for me I find her to be SO dogmatic that I find myself rebelling. fact is I am NOT able to wear tie shoes.. and there is no wiggle room in some of her ideas , yet her attitude is

"however you mop the floor, its the right way." well, no it isn't if I followed her way I'd just be slopping dirty water around my kitchen.

she is a peculiar mix of strident dogmatism and "eh it's good enuf!"

I do like her plan of zones.. but there is just not enough adjustments for the elderly or disabled.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get the flylady emails and there are a bunch of them. Her methods have helped but the reality is that I stink at keeping house. Ok, so what if I'm slopping dirty water on my kitchen floor, it's bound to be cleaner than it is now. Kathy is right, there is no wiggle room in some of her ideas, but no one is holding a knife to your throat! I like the 15 minute ideas, it's amazing what I can do when I set a timer and just do 15 min. And "eh, is good enuf" works just fine for me. I wipe off my bathroom sink, maybe I don't have time to get a toothbrush and do all the details but who cares? It looks cleaner than it started.
Not for everybody, but seems to help some.

Posts: 1995 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good heavens! I thought this HAD to be about the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Robert's new love interest turns out to be a weirdo who eats flies!

Posts: 3534 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lady of shallot:
........... I have no interest at all in following anyone else's instructions......QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Smile

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7572 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have used the program in the past, but for me I find her to be SO dogmatic that I find myself rebelling. fact is I am NOT able to wear tie shoes

You know I was telling DH about this and then thought I must have been dreaming about the tie shoe thing. . . but I guess not! I agree Kathy, right at this stage of my life I am not interested in tie shoes.

Plus I realize what I consider "housework" is really sessions of creativity! It must work for my friend because she is already structured and organized and maybe likes the nudging to continue on that path.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Sometimes if I am feeling sluggish about my house keeping I will read a little flylady, or some other housekeeping strategies book. Just reading about being that organized and efficient and energetic seems to inspire me enough to get myself in gear. I couldn't possibly follow flylady though, I am just not the type.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
What gets my cleaning motor running isn't FlyLady, but rather : Hoarders, Burried Alive.

I feel so dreadful for those poor people, If I have that show on in the kitchen the place is immaculate by the time the show ends..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't ascribe to flylady's methods because I hate housekeeping. That's what I hire a housekeeper for. However, if I have a project that really needs to be done, I do indeed put on my lace up/tie shoes. You'll be amazed at the difference in the stress level on your feet and legs. You may not notice how much effort you put into keeping a sandal on, but over the course of a day it adds up. With lace up /tied shoes, your feet are much freer to move with less effort. Give it a try the next time you are under the g*un on something. Also, nice rubber soles on those shoes make a difference too.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6817 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I checked it out once and I do believe in the tie-shoes, because I have a bad knee and a bad back; proper footwear keeps me from getting as tired as fast. I also feel better when I dress, put on a smidge of make-up, etc., right after coffee/breakfast.

I didn't sign-up with her because I read that my inbox would be flooded...and I don't need that stress.

A thing that helps me most, when I reallyyyyy have to do some kick-b*tt housework is crack up the 80s music....my fave; LOL!

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:
What gets my cleaning motor running isn't FlyLady, but rather : Hoarders, Burried Alive.

I do the exact same thing!! I like the idea of the music blasting too!

Posts: 1022 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree "Hoarders" motivates me, but I'm here to say something about "tied shoes".
FL's whole point is that you must be able to go at a moments notice. Now, at my age, this won't happen but I can remember a scenario where a child slipped out the door and the mother couldn't run after the child because she had on sandals! My feet are bad and if I don't have on shoes I'm in pain. If I needed to slip off the sandals and run after a child running into the street or whatever, I'd be in real trouble.
The other thing I remember is that when your shoes are tied on your feet you have to take them off to slip on a pair of sandals or take them off to "just take a short nap."
So, the shoes were never about attire, they were a way to say to your mind you were ready to work and ready for an emergency.

Posts: 1995 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I can't tie any more due to severe arthritis AND all except a certain kind of dansko clogs causes unbearable agony in my feet. I guess I'll keep onn using the shoes that work for me.

Life is GOOD!!

posted Hide Post
I agree Kathy, I realize that it is quite a while that I have not been routinely wearing tie shoes or sneakers! I much prefer a sort of clog or slip on type shoe. No pain, but my arthritic hands make certain actions difficult (tying knots) esp when I have to bend over to do it!

From what I understand Fly lady is saying things must be done her way? Including what you wear on your feet? Why would anyone choose to follow such dictates?