Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Making up the bed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making up the bed Sign In/Join 
posted
How do you make up your bed in the morning?

I was taught to throw all the covers back, take the pillows off, then pull up and tighten the fitted sheet. Then, layer by layer, pull up the sheet and blankets and make sure they're smooth and snug. The bedspread is put on last, straightened and folded back, pillows fluffed and put on, then the bedspread neatly tucked over the pillows. While I love the bed made up like that, I'm finding it harder and harder to do as I get older and have health problems. My back hurts from all that bending over the be!

Does anyone have a simpler way to do it so that the bed still looks nice?

Posts: 45 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jun 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I pretty much do the same thing but I don't turn everything back before starting. I just start with the bottom layer and go up from there. If the sheets and blankets are tucked under at the foot of the bed, it usually only takes me a minute or so to have the bed completely made.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand heavy cover so I sleep under a sheet and quilt. I pull the top sheet up straight along with the quilt on one side then the other. Put the sleeping pillows at top then pillows that match quilt in front of those those. I sleep alone except with two small dogs so it doesn't get that messed up.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
That's the way that I was taught too. I don't do it though. With the covers as I tossed them off in the morning. I tug the bottom sheet on one side. Then pull the top sheet and blanket up smoothing. I then walk around to the other side and tug the bottom sheet. Then pull the top sheet and blanket up smoothing. I then pull the quilt up and do the pillow tuck. I walk back around to the beginning side and pull the quilt up and finish the pillow tuck. Toss on the throw pillows. I'm done!

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
It might help to raise the bed, perhaps a LOT. The Husband did that for me and it really helped my back.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I pull up the top sheet and bed spread enough to limit the amount of cat hair that gets between the sheets. I leave for work at 7am. I don't want to spend a lot of time on housework in the morning.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
FFG -- I do more as you do! I don't have blankets just the top sheet and spread. My duvet is folded at the foot so there is less to mess with.

Martha

Posts: 6203 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I LIKE to make my bed that way, mrsmile73, but sometimes I just don't have the time in the morning. When my husband and I get up it works for us to each grab the covers on our side and flip them up, and then we both do a little straighten and fluff and it is good enough.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We need lots of covers. I have a top sheet (fitted bottom) then a duvet in a duvet cover, then a blanket and finally a spread. Also four pillows.

Given time I throw everything back in morning, remove all pillows, open the window and air out room, then later do as Mrs. Mike says. but lately if I have to go out early, I don't move anything, tug at the bottom sheet to straighten it (smoothing with my arms under all else) then yank everything up and put the pillows in place.

It looks just as good as is about 1/10 of the work.

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I pretty much do as Mrsmike does...everyday. I have always made the bed. I cannot stand to get back into an unmade bed.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Simple is good for me too. Right after getting up, bed is made.
The top sheet and blanket are normally already tucked under the foot of the mattress. Sheet & blanket pulled up straight, both pillows placed and comforter or spread pulled evenly over the works.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I leave for work, DH is still in the bed, so I tidy it when I get home. I'm a nurse, so I do one side then the other.

Posts: 3008 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Ya'll make the bed EVERYday??? LOL, just kidding; I do too, mostly even tho dh wonders "why"?. Just have a sheet/quilt so it's pretty fast. My 'enjoyment/reward' is putting the decorative pillows back one Big Grin

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my bed on risers so that helps when I make my bed in the morning. I definitely smooth each layer because the smoothness is what makes the bed so comfortable when I get in it at night.

I even learned a little trick somewhere and that is to spritz the pillow cases with a fine mist of water, then hold them vertically from the open end so that gravity pulls the sleeping wrinkles out. I don't do that every day, but I do when the pillow cases are wrinkled a lot.

Posts: 2001 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your answers!

We did have a high bed for a while, and it definitely was easier to make up, but I couldn't get into it! I had to get a step stool and then do an alley-oop into the bed. Pretty funny sight! So, we went back to the low profile box spring.

I like some of the shortcuts y'all described. I think I'll do the one side and then the other instead or running back and forth around the bed like I usually do.

Thanks!

Posts: 45 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jun 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
we have gotten all comforters for the winter, and aside of pulling up top sheet, my jersey bottom sheets stay in place..i also "straighten" the bedding while sitting in bed...thank goodness dh changes the king bed..i can handle the office one we nap on...

in the summer we have cotton spreads and sheet only...

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use comforters now instead of bedspreads so that makes things easier (no bedspread to flip over the pillows) and I just fold over (down) the comforter and top sheet

I also do what sjf does--straightening the covers while still in the bed. Though I usually sleep alone, sometimes dd will come in--she is one messy sleeper--so I scoot myself over to her side and straighten the sheet/comforter/pillow, then keep straightening it while scooting myself back to my side. I slip out and do the final fixing on my side. It isn't perfect but it works and doesn't take too much time or effort.

When I change the sheets is usually when I try for absolute perfection--not a wrinkle to be found--everything in perfect alignment and just so. It is such a treat to get in bed after I've changed the linens.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I start on my side of the bed, straighten the fitted sheet, then pull up the flat sheet, then the blanket, go over to the other side of bed and repeat. I also tuck everything in tight with hospital corners lol! Then the comforter which is a very light cotton, shams then 3 decorative pillows. It only takes a few minutes and makes me feel good to walk into the bedroom and see it put together. It's only for us since no one goes in there, but I like it!

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of megacatfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sis2:
I can't stand heavy cover so I sleep under a sheet and quilt. I pull the top sheet up straight along with the quilt on one side then the other. Put the sleeping pillows at top then pillows that match quilt in front of those those. I sleep alone except with two small dogs so it doesn't get that messed up.

I can't stand heavy covers either! I just use a fitted sheet (no top sheet) with a comforter that is not tucked in. to make the bed I just plump pillows, and fold the comforter across the foot of the bed--very clean and modern looking. For very cold nights I have one of those electric mattress covers (they are more cozy and efficient than an electric blanket). The whole arrangement is easy light.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's easier if you got good sheets that doesn't get off the bed. Just fold your flat sheet and throw the pillows. Smile

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of spammer are you? Why are you bringing up these older posts and posting things that make no sense?

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I, too, have a bad back so I just pull up the covers before I get out of bed--then it's just an easy task to finish straighten things up after I'm out of the bed. I switched from a spread to a quilt with pillow shams years ago. It makes the job so much easier.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post