Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  5 sets of slatted blinds become...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5 sets of slatted blinds become... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted
a whole lot of cleaning!

There are 5 sets of blinds on our den window which is 15' wide.
Each blind has 24 slats. So you have to clean top side and bottom side. Plus there are strings running down the slats so it's in & out 4 different places to clean each slat.

So that becomes 960 surfaces to clean. (If the math is correct.) Wink

Well mark them done! Plus I took the 5 screens outside and scrubbed down. Of course the 15 window panes are sparkling too. Yep, done! I couldn't hang the new panels over all that dust.

So what is your dreaded cleaning chore?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9429 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
That continual cleaning chore is precisely the reason we put vertical blinds in our house. Oh, I know, the fashionistas will tell you that they are passe', but its my house. They don't have to deal with the dust that collects on the others. I love my verticals.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6508 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
FFG,

Oh I hear you! We used to have verticals on this window and they were so easy to keep clean. Someday, I will replace these too.

My house! My way!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what is your dreaded cleaning chore?

Have you ever tried dunking them in the bathtub?

We have a similar situation (well I have) with slatted wooden shutters. We have them in l.r. on two windows, in sitting room one window. In bathroom one window and in kitchen two windows.

I dust the l.r. ones with a small paintbrush!

Posts: 12511 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Have you ever tried dunking them in the bathtub?

Hi Lady,
Great idea to dunk them! But I'd never get them re-hung correctly. I love your french doors. Pretty!

posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful french doors!

Hmm, vertical blinds. I like that idea! Our first house had them. Never really thought about the benefit of dust sliding off of them.

I don't know if I have any one particular dreaded cleaning chore. Honestly, I just don't like to clean. I like the aroma of Pledge though I rarely use it.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
A sock on your hand would get both sides at once!

Posts: 944 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom,

Oh I don't like cleaning either. Funny about Pledge and I do use once in a while. Wink

Spanish, Good idea for the sock. I'll have to borrow some from DH next time.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
BR, I feel your pain!! I have blinds at 15 windows and it takes me forever to clean them! I'd place it on my dreaded cleaning chore list but my most dreaded chore is cleaning the
refrigerators and freezers!

Posts: 2202 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Oh Georgia,

Fifteen sets of blinds to clean? You win! My rule for the refrigerator is anything over 3 days old goes.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
BR, It's crazy I know but I like the look of uniformity from the outside so I have the same blind at every window. I've changed out all the blinds from the 1" aluminum mini-blind to the 2" faux wood blind and they seem easier to keep clean. I've tried cleaning them in the tub and even bought a divider tool to run between the blinds but it doesn't work like hand wiping them slat by slat. Yours look nice.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
to the 2" faux wood blind and they seem easier to keep clean.

I saw these yesterday at our surplus/salvage store and they did look like they would be very nice and also easy to clean. Although I don't have it, I too think the uniformity would look very nice from the outside.

Posts: 12511 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post