Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Dyson not cleaning well
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dyson not cleaning well Sign In/Join 
posted
I have had my dyson animal 14 for about 6 yrs. I don't think it is picking up very good. We have both hard wood floors and carpet. I have checked for blockages, cleaned the brushes, cleaned the filter but still I can't see an improvement. Is it time to get a new vacuum cleaner? I guess after spending that kind of money on a vacuum cleaner I expected more years to use it.

Loves Tx

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Dec 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djklm
posted Hide Post
You might want to check your owners manual, there is actually another filter that is a little more difficult to get to. I didn't know that until I read it on here. If you're not comfortable doing that I would take it to a Dyson service center. I wouldn't buy another one until you have it checked out. We have the yellow Dyson that is almost 5 years old and still works wonderful.

Judy

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas Zone 8 SE | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call the Dyson service number and talk to a human. I did this recently after going through all the steps on the online service but still not having any positive results and they helped identify the problem- the turbine head on my canister model was not working properly (a very unusual problem) and replaced it free because I had only had the vacuum for three years.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
I swear one of the ladies posted she took hers apart and hand washed the pieces she could...mine got sticky when dh vac'ed the kitchen...bless him!

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just took apart mine, washed out the filters and made certain that the small round openings above the filter were clear. Talk to Dyson Customer Service and consider having a vacuum repair shop give it a thorough cleaning etc.

Posts: 3140 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post