Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortcuts? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Grapefruit
posted
I was just doing some cleaning, and it occurred to me that I now take shortcuts. I am retired, and it is just DH, one well-fed , and I here now.

When I was raising kids and working outside the home I was much more regimented with my cleaning. Now after running the vacuum on the bathroom floor, I spray it with Windex, and wipe it with paper towels.

I do this between regular scrubbings. It looks great and smells fresh. I figure that it is ammonia and water...so that has to be okay...right? Or am I just fooling myself?

Do you take any shortcuts?

Posts: 3273 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to be conscious of the environment and use natural cleansers and avoid using paper products, etc., etc., but my shameful secret is that I always keep Lysol dual action disposable wipes on hand for disinfecting and sanitizing toilet seats. It makes me uncomfortable to use a washable cloth on those.

My other big shortcut is using my boar bristle broom to sweep/dust my baseboards. No more crawling along with a damp cloth, although that still needs to happen once or twice per year.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the major cleaning to once every two weeks or once a month, until then, a 10 minutes once a day is all that you will need to keep your home looking good. Pick up all of the dirty dishes, ashtrays, glassware and put them in the dishwasher or sink. Use a hand sweeper, sweep over the carpeting in all of the walkways and spray air freshner.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Mobile....I am sorry but...YUCK !! So, you are saying that we do not need to clean bathrooms, kitchens, etc. more than every 2-4 weeks???

Ashtrays have never been in my house, and dishes are done or put in the dishwasher after using!

Spraying air-freshened does not CLEAN anything!!

Posts: 3273 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Spraying air-freshened does not CLEAN anything!!

And it generally does a horrid job of competing with the stink!

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Ashtrays and hand sweepers?
Shades of Benny Goodman, saddle shoes, and rations stamps... Wink

Posts: 4686 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Nettie....Smile

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
MJ is advertising obliquely!
Actually all my cleaning now a days is short cuts. i.e. after a full day (for me) we came home with groceries which I put away and then because back hall floor looked disgusting from DH' boot, I swept just that small portion, took some spray cleaner and a wet rag and mopped it up.

Graciepj, I have no problem with washable rags on toilet seats or even inside toilets. It is just porcelain and all my cleaning cloths/rags are a separate laundry load. I never scrub my bathroom floor (if you mean hands/knees scrub brush) why? It is a non porous surface that can easily be cleaned with a wet rag and hot water! This is how a big cleaning goes. I sweep the floor, take a bucket of water with some kind of cleaner, take a rag, throw it in bucket, take out throw it on floor and use a pusher thing to push the rag around. Immerse the rag a couple of times. If I'm in a hurry to have floor dry, I wring rag out first.

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
lady of shallot, I like your 'mopping' idea....

Since we moved to FL my body has not been happy and I've had a series of various bouts. I do very little cleaning...dh doesn't care anyway, so I just don't worry about it.

I know a lady that seriously only cleans when company is coming...I'm getting to that mentality, even tho I don't want to.

After so many years of having houses on the market and having to keep them perfect, I've just run out of steam Big Grin

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a sign as you come in the front door "My house was clean yesterday, sorry you missed it".
If you don't like my house, feel free to leave, I do the best I can.

Posts: 1995 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 of display cards here once a week. I do try to pick up for that but having some problems lately and I thought we were all friends so I don't worry about it too much. We had one woman that played who always made a point of going into my bedroom to see if I had made my bed and made an announcement to the others.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I use the terry rags that you find in the paint departments to mop the floor. They come in packs of 24 for about 10.00. No mop bucket or dirty mop to rinse out.

Just dampen the rag and spray diluted cleaner on the floor or right on the rag. I use an old swifter and put the damp cloth on it. Just swish around. When the cloth is dirty, just switch out for a clean damp one and keep going. Easy to bleach and wash for next time. When these get too icky for using they go to DH for the rag box.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sis2:
4 of display cards here once a week. I do try to pick up for that but having some problems lately and I thought we were all friends so I don't worry about it too much. We had one woman that played who always made a point of going into my bedroom to see if I had made my bed and made an announcement to the others.

How rude...did you have the door shut? Rude no matter what! Did she get invited back?

posted Hide Post
No I told her if my housekeeping didn't suit her to stay at home.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Sis2. Can't imagine that kind of behavior from somebody who was "supposed" to be your friend.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6828 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My bathroom shortcut: I keep a pkg of those bathroom disinfectant wipes and a package of mirror wipes under the sinks in my bathrooms. I also keep a pack of those disposable plastic gloves. Every day or so I give my counters a quick wipe down, and also the toilet. I do the mirror with the mirror wipes. I can "quick wipe" a bathroom in about a minute. Keeps things up in between real cleanings.

I also keep a hand vac plugged into the closet in my master bathroom, and I give the floor a quick vacuum after I blow dry my hair every day. It takes just a minute, and keeps the floor hair free, which is one of my personal pet peeves.

And Sis2: I would get tired of that "friend" real quick, and she would find herself uninvited to my card parties. Just Saying.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
It takes just a minute, and keeps the floor hair free, which is one of my personal pet peeves.

Cocok, hair (mine) anywhere just about sickens me. I comb mine outside. If the weather doesn't allow, I bend my head over the sink and comb into the sink, then use tissue or paper towel to clean out.

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I have truly done this: put on old sox and 'skate' over my small bathroom floors; then throw them away!

posted Hide Post
You know what works really well to pull all the hair off the bathroom floor? Those extension scrubbers made for the bathtub. I think mine is a ScotchBrite. They have a hard, porous cellulose sponge on the end. I use it dry and hair sticks to it. It gets under the cabinets and into corners easily. At the end, I pull the hair off and throw the hair away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my steam mop for tile and hardwood floors. NO chemicals needed and they dry fast. Just DON'T Leave the steamer directly on one spot of hardwood for a lengthy time or you risk dissolving the poly. Otherwise, it's a safe and effective way to clean floors. My steamer pads are machine washable. Since they are pricy to replace (I have 2), I often use cut pieces from an old thick tile. The clamps from the steamer hold them in place adequately.

I LOVE soft scrub with bleach for cleaning newly made stains in my white Corian kitchen sink and periodically bleach them along with my dish cloth and drain stopper which is plastic.

I use microfiber cloths on windows too, but don't make the mistake of using fabric softener or drier sheets when laundering them as both will leave a film when cleaning mirrors or windows.

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I tried using a shortcut; however, shortcuts can also cause HUGE problems. I bragged and gave the oven liners as gifts to family in keeping the ovens cleaner from spills. As our's turned white in a just a few places, I didn't think to replace it. Instead, it remained and MELTED onto the bottom of the oven. Fortunately, we knew we were in need of a newer range. It just sped up the timing.
We probably won't be making that purchase again. And we'll be looking for the old fashioned spill catchers our mothers & grandmothers had.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post