Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guest Room Sign In/Join 
Picture of sewandsew
posted
What things do you provide in your guest room other than a place to sleep?

Posts: 608 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Room in the closet for hanging clothes & room in a chest or dresser for folded things...depending on how long they are staying.
Night lights so they can see where they are going in a strange room and we have an extra tv in there, but it isn't hooked up to our satellite (cable)so it only gets local channels.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
First, I move the things out of the bedroom and bath that I need for the days that we have guests.

They get a full size bed (as you can imagine we don't have guests very often), and space in the closet as well as full access to the bathroom. The bedroom is small and really nothing larger than the full bed will fit in there unless I did away with the bedside table.

We've had only one television until this past Christmas when I had one put in my sewing room. However, we have a queen size double tall queen air mattress for overflow and whoever they are get to watch television in there, but there's absolutely no closet space because of my stash. Wink

Edited to add: I too have a small basket of toiletries that I put out in the guest bathroom after I've removed my personal items. Fresh towels are hung and everyone who stays with us knows where the hand towels, wash cloths, and extra toilet tissue are.

Before BIL and SIL moved to NE Texas, they spent quite a bit of time with us. She once came to me needing more toilet tissue. I told her OH NO! It's time for you to leave. Wink

Actually she was a joy to have for any extended period of time. She was not only a great help in the kitchen but also cooked some of the meals herself and I did the cleanup. They went with us several times in our camper and we swapped out kitchen duties with one cooking the other cleaning.

When they bought their property and put a camper trailer on it until they built, we towed our camper over and stayed several nights. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17431 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I like to have for my guests, a small basket I have here, with the complimentary toiletries that I take and not use from hotel stays. In the basket I leave a shampoo, conditioner, new bar of body soap, hand lotion, night light and nail file. I also leave a bath sheet, hand towel and wash cloth per person. Finally, I also leave (in the basket) a few small chocolates, a snack size bag of pretzels and a bottle of water as well as a magazine, just in case they get hungry or thirsty in the middle of the night and don't want to wander around and wake anyone up. Each time, my guests thank me for the lovely basket....many don't use the things I've left, but thank me profusely for thinking of their comfort.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just josie,

Posts: 1731 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandson a twin bed, TV, computer, bathroom and laundry service. Others queen size bed, bathroom and hope they don't stay too long.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a little space in the closet for having clothes, a TV tray to put their luggage on, and an alarm clock.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the bedroom, I provide closet space with hangers, drawer space, alarm clock, television, luggage rack, night light and reading material.

In the attached bath, I provide towels, bottled water, drinking glasses, curling iron, hair dryer, extra toilet paper and travel sized toiletries.

My most frequent guests are my parents, so they keep a few items in the closet and bathroom so they don't have to pack those items every time they visit.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Usually it is just DD and her husband who use our guest room. I have appropriated that closet as it also opens in my room. Therefore I have hung hooks on the two doors that are in this room. There is also a bureau with empty drawers but they never put anything away.

I leave towels in there (they don't use washcloths, I don't understand this about people today) they bring their own toiletries (for other guests I do as Just Josie does with the basket thing.

On occasion I have had my four sisters stay (DH goes away at those times) so we use his bed, guest room bed, and children's attic beds, too.
Everyone thus gets their own space and that works out well.

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't really have "guests". I have my quilting friends down to the lake and have in a basket (which I need to snag back from DD) toothbrushes,sample shampoos, toothpaste etc. I also have slipper socks as the floors are linoleum, not great if they didn't pack slippers. I have an open kitchen and everyone pitches in to cook and use the blender Wink I do ask for them to bring a bathtowel for the dunking in the lake, I don't pretend to swim but can dunk!

piney

Posts: 3248 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My guests get a clean room, a good bed with clean sheets, pillows and blankets, a clean set of towels, good light, access to a bathroom and room to hang their cloths.

Posts: 7284 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I have one room with twin beds and one room with a full size bed, dresser and nightstand and large mirrors. They both share a full size bath with shower. I keep all samples from hotels in the medicine cabinet, so they have shampoos, soaps, mouthwash, body lotions, Q-tips, Cotton Balls, Hair dryer, towels, fresh sheets and blankets.
We also built small French style doors going to the hallway between rooms for privacy.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
These are great comments. It looks like we are all about the same. I put a small candle in the basket as well as the toiletries. Good for aroma and good in case of power outage. It looks nice too.

Posts: 608 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
I leave towels in there (they don't use washcloths, I don't understand this about people today) ..................

I don't get it either, I use a fresh washcloth each time I shower. DH was in the military for 20 years and mostly on a ship, they did not have washcloths and only had enough water stored for a regulatory 5 minute shower. LOL, I have to keep reminding him he's not on a boat anymore.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that about folks not using washcloths as well! I provide a couple doz. beached white ones that look brand new. I also provide new poufs and those seem to be liked tho Wink

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I have reading material, extra blankets, an assortment of pillows, clean towels and wash cloths, and a basket of extra toiletries. Sometimes I have a package of nibbles in the room and always offer water when they go up for the night.

Martha

Posts: 6385 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Well, we have a large family and all the kids are gone now so I have a lot of extra bedroom-guest rooms. Some have king beds, others have queens. They all have TV's, radio and alarm, empty closets and dresser drawers. All have at least one chair. I will put bottled water and wrapped pieces of chocolate on the dressers. Extra blankets and assorted pillows in the closet. I always bring home the unused toiletries from hotels and provide those for my guests. Clean towels and washcloths (and yes, LOS, I too find it strange that a lot of folks these days don't use them, I can't feel clean if I don't use one!), a new tube of toothpaste, a new tooth brush, deodorant, disposable razors, shampoo and conditioner, mouthwash, reading material, night light. The bedrooms have a pocket door so my guests can get in and out of the bedroom/bathroom in privacy... this was a must with so many kids lol!

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
That no wash cloth thing...
If you just swish slippery soap on your body, how is that scrubbing? Unless you're using Lava soap there's no friction. I remember my mother, even when my brothers were 10-13 years old or so and she made them wear their underwear or swim suit to the tub, grabbed a washcloth and soap and scrubbed their necks and backs because they were "rusty."

Posts: 17431 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post