Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Organizing photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organizing photos Sign In/Join 
posted
We are moving 'again' and the photo box is getting heavier and heavier. Any suggestions on how to organize about 50+ years of photos?
I've gone through and thrown out the excess paper that comes with a package. Where do I go from there?

Posts: 282 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jan 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Sort by year. Then by month or season as close as you can get.
Make certain that the people in the photos are identified on the back - put the approximate date on there too.
Then start inserting them into albums with acid free sleeves. Label the album spine with beginning and ending year.

Larger photos, purchase correct size acid free sleeves and put them in a binder...by date order as much as possible.

Posts: 16571 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mostly now we rarely make hard copies but I found a really good way to store the photos we did have.

This is a shelving unit thing I had built in the room we watch t.v. in. I happened to find two small metal file units that just fit side to side and since the shelves are adjustable I made them just fit the metal units top and bottom too.

Since we are a small family of only 6 people I made categories for each. for instance: Susie, then Susie's friends or Susie's wedding etc. The final drawer is where all the unfiled photos accumulate. This has worked really well if you are looking for a specific photo.

p.s. have always meant to paint the drawer fronts white. Just haven't gotten around to it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ladies, for the good suggestions. I'll get to working on this, (someday) before the pile gets any bigger and heavier.

Posts: 282 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jan 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twoboys, I remember you from a few years ago, trying to sell your house. Is that correct or am I thinking of a different poster? I actually remember the house photos, too. :-)

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that was me. We finally sold it, bought a motorhome, went to Fla. and back north again.
Thanks for remembering.

posted Hide Post
Well, very happy to see you back on the boards!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Thank you TWo boys for inspiring me to finally paint those drawers white!

By this time I also have another wooden big drawer where the open book is in picture. That got painted white too!

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post