Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Revisiting the "smelly" washer issue...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revisiting the "smelly" washer issue... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Belstone
posted
Awhile back, I posted about smelly front loaders and the fact that there are now cleaners made just for that purpose...well, since then, I've been informed that all you have to do is switch to powder detergent and voila! problem solved. Really.

Also, I may have stated that I wouldn't have one if it was given to me...well, one was given to me. Really. So, I use powder and I don't even have to leave the door open! Amazing. Just thought I'd share...

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Belstone, I don't have a front loader but thanks for the post-back re using powder instead of liquid detergent ~ I'll remember that hint if I ever get one!

Too funny, I once said that I would NEVER cruise on a certain cruise line if the trip was free ~ then dh won a week on it! And, yes, we did go...

Just goes to show that one should never say never! Big Grin

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hi Belstone,

For a simple DIY trick to get rid of bad odors in the dishwasher place lemon peels in the regular cycle. Doing this once a month is a natural way to get rid of odors and leave your dishes smelling lemony fresh.

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a front loader too and I've never used powder detergent and I don't have a smell problem. I always wipe the seal with Lysol after I remove the wash and I always leave the door open. I've had it about 5 years and I've never had a smell. I'll remember the powder detergent trick in case I have any problems in the future. Thanks.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't have a smell either. I think mine is about 3 1/2 yrs. old. I also wipe the inside door and the rubber and leave it open as well as open the detg. drawer.
I put a dallop (slug) of white vinegar in mine when I'm done washing for the day.
And I used powder at first but found that it wasn't dissolving so I use my homemade liquid detg.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
So here's the point...you don't have to wipe it down or use any other product to keep it from smelling. It's a fairly well known fact that front loaders have issues...hence special cleaners made just for them...something you never saw (or experienced) with top loaders. I simply shut the door after I'm done...and I only do laundry once a week, not every day. Just sayin...

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
One of the Tide packets to eliminate the smell and hasn't recurred.
About a year.
Manual states to wipe seal; leave door open a bit.
I follow manual.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be argumentative here...by way of explanation, I live in an area where bats are numerous..neighbor had an experience I don't wish to have. One day, she reached into her open washing machine and encountered bats, lots of bats, so I do not leave mine open. Ever. So figuring out a way to avoid two problems at once really appealed to me.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I don't wipe dry but leave my FL, LG washers open for a few hours and then close them. No odor or mold issues for several years now.

Gosh, Bats???
Washer must be in the garage or outbuilding?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
I don't wipe dry but leave my FL, LG washers open for a few hours and then close them. No odor or mold issues for several years now.

Gosh, Bats???
Washer must be in the garage or outbuilding?

Basement!!! Exactly where mine is...ugh

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
WOW, how the heck do bats find access into a basement?
We occasionally have spiders, but anything bigger never has gotten in.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, usually thru a chimney but they can get into the smallest crack. They are as bad as mice except they take advantage of those cracks up too high to see easily.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Wow again. I sure would be searching out and plugging any holes!Big Grin

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
You haven't lived until you wake up in the middle of the night to a bat flying around your bedroom!!! It's happened to me several times, in several houses, and it's not fun. Fortunately, it's been isolated incidents, never an infestation...knock on wood.

posted Hide Post
Bats? In a washer? In a BEDROOM? Yikes! Never heard of either scenario. Scarey!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post