Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Installing hardwood floors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing hardwood floors Sign In/Join 
Picture of Grapefruit
posted
I would love to replace our living room carpet with wood. Before I even mention it to DH, I was wondering if everything has to be removed from the room during installation?

Most of the first floor is already hardwood, but it was installed when we had the house built....27 years ago. I know that when you get carpet everything must be removed. DH will not be happy about that! So, I was hoping that when getting wood floors that things can just be moved from side to side.

Have you had experience with this?

Posts: 3271 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kyradeprez
posted Hide Post
It is possible to install wood flooring while moving furnishings back and forth, but most installers will not work that way. They will want to room cleared so that they can remove the carpet and install the flooring without having to move furniture.

Kyra Deprez
The Boardwalk Cleaning Co
www.boardwalkcleaning.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If you do it yourself, you can do anything you want. If you bring in an installer and you can talk them into it, they will charge you every time they move a piece of furniture!

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Thanks....but you are not telling me what I want to hear!!! Wink

No, we will not do it ourselves. We are still active and able to do things....but DH hates to move furniture!!! All of our friends are old, too, and the kids do not live near us.

I was just wondering what other people do. I do not know why this post is here and not in General Decorating where I posted it....

Posts: 3271 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to remove the furniture. I don't know of any installer who would work in a room and have to move stuff over and over again. It's better to get everything out and then start working.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I should have been clearer in my post. I was hoping to possibly move the two wall units and the sofa to one side and then to the finished side. We would remove everything else!

We seem to always have very heavy things to move. We have to hire movers when the player piano gets moved. There is no way that we can do it. I was just wondering if the hardwood installation would be different.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We built our own house. We put down laminate in our kitchen & utility room.
Years ago, I worked for a carpet store and we had our own crew of installers.
Personally, I would NOT put down any kind of flooring with furniture sitting in the room. It could make things not fit as tight as they should or even move a piece of hardwood out of place before the entire floor and been laid.
And carpeting needs to be stretched tightly so that you don't develop "bumps"....that can be done a LOT better without furniture sitting on it.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why buy new hardwood? If the floors were put in 27 years ago they must be real wood and can be sanded, stained if desired, and finished probably better than new with today's materials.

But you will have to empty the work areas completely.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Chuck, we would be removing carpet and replacing with hardwood. I had just mentioned that we already have the original hardwood on the rest of the first floor. Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We installed hardwood flooring ourselves in the past. My DH says "why not?" When I posed your question, BUT I agree that pros may charge you extra to move your furniture as they progress. This is something you could negotiate. Keep in mind that prepping the sub floor is vital and time consuming depending on the squeaks encountered. I can not tell you how time consuming our prep work was for every room we installed the hardwood in. BTW, your installer will most likely begin instillation in the middle of the room and work outward.

Also, if you opt for prefinished hardwood as I suspect given the furniture staying in the room, invest in Magic gliders (or similar pads) to protect your new floors as well as making the furniture easier to move for cleaning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time we had to move everything in preparation for new carpeting, we got those slider things that you put underneath the furniture and they worked extremely well. We moved several heavy pieces of furniture that way and we were amazed at how the furniture just slide across the tile in the foyer, etc.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
16paws, those are what I recommended previously. We keep ours under the feet of larger pieces of furniture for ease of cleaning as well as protecting our hardwood floors.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I will have to think this through before I mention it to DH.....it will not be easy! I appreciate all of your input. I keep telling him that we are as young as we are ever going to be!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
those "moving men" plastic gizmos are wonderful! we had to recently move my dgs loft bed (full size mattress) we used about everyone I had collected over the years and ON carpet moved it with ease...

if there is already hardwood in the rest of the downstairs is there the chance they left it under the carpeting? like everyone has warned you really can't lay flooring without moving stuff...

Posts: 8582 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking, sjf but if they had the house built I guess the grapefruits would know if there's no wood under the carpet. In fact they're probably now a little miffed they didn't have it done at the time.

Here's a plan - take all the movable stuff out by hand; use the glide pads to move the wall units into the hall or another room and then you're left with just the sofa. Put that on a set of glide pads and if it's too big to get it out of the room leave it on the pads and let the workers deal with only the one piece.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Haha.....thanks for responding....! Yes, "the grape fruits" know that there's no hardwood in there.

At the time of building our house our kids were 2 and 3 so the carpet seemed like a good idea for them. It has served us well...but I would now love to change it. We can move the furniture with the gliders if need be. I was just hoping to have some good selling points for DH...

posted Hide Post
We Had wood flooring ionstalled inNov. We moved all small tables and lamps. Ihad to empty the wall units because I had some very heavy stuff in them. The men who installed moved the heavy furniture for us . They slid it around as needed,even during the carpet removal. I might suggest using the slider . We need th use sliders for carpeted floor at first, but after the wood was down we had to switch to the felted ones for wood. Any scratch on the hard ones can scratch the wood. It's well worth the trouble !

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now most of people are installing hardwood floors in their home, some people think that cleaning the tile floor is tough, so they like to install wood instead of carpet, i think all the things will removed nothing will remain left, one of my friend had this experience when he was installing wood floors in their home.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post