Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Which vacuum cleaner is the best?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which vacuum cleaner is the best? Sign In/Join 
Picture of dixieraven
posted
I have owned a Bissell Momentum for about 8 months.
Well last week the motor went out. I usually vacuum
Two times per week because I have two small dogs in
The house. I always kept the filters clean. So I need
To know what everyone recommends. I'm looking not to
spend over $250.

Posts: 19 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Apr 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
"Best" is very subjective and not easy to answer.

I bought this Hoover duo set -- http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-P...id=1359266092&sr=8-6
-- exactly a year ago and haven't regretted anything about them yet. They're both powerful and easy to use. The only thing I'm less than thrilled with is the power cord on the smaller unit. It has to be completely unwound for use and then completely rewound for storage, which is a slight PIA.

I know there are specially-designed "pet" vacuums. I don't have pets and can't say if these machines are well-suited to that use; but I'm sure if you read enough of the reviews, that question will be answered.

Posts: 4658 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My larger Dyson is the best I have ever had, and it has been running for many years with multiple large dogs. There are reconditioned ones available on Ebay, but they may still be more than you want to pay.

Note: Since you mentioned the motor gave out on your present one...make sure in any vacuum, you clean and inspect the rotating beater bar regularly for pet or human hair that can wrap around it. (Sometimes it is not visible, as it wraps near the ends) When this occurs it makes the motor work harder to turn it and eventually you can either burn out a motor or break the belt that drives it. Anytime you get that "hot, burnt hair smell" while vacuuming look for this issue.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Dyson!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7555 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a Dyson under $250.

Posts: 4658 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
ooops, didn't see the cost limit.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7555 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of daciab
posted Hide Post
Save up to buy one of the more expensive ones or try to find one on eBay, swap shop, etc. I love my RICCAR vacuum. We had been buying vacuums at the department stores. One every other year for the first 6 years of our marriage. Then 10 years ago, we bought a Riccar on a radio auction. (New products bought at a discount. The stores get the retail value of the item in advertising.) We get the Riccar serviced once a year and it is still working great today.

~DaciaB

UPDATED 06/20/11
http://user.midlands.net/dacia/

"Worms Eat My Garbage"

http://pinterest.com/daciabb/

Posts: 4897 | Location: zone 4 | Registered: Sep 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask 5 people and you will get 5 answers. Depends what you want.

Expensive is not always better.... and don't believe all the advertising you hear. I have liked the Hoovers I've had though it has been awhile. I currently have Bissell and it is good. Check the size of the motor, how easy it is to clean the unit and cost to get your best deal. They have all done good on dog hair.

I often read the reviews on Amazon, usually only checking the 2,, 3,4 star reviews. The 5 are often people who just got it or are gushers, the 1 are sometimes weird things. See what models your store has and check their reviews.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Eureka. Not sure if it's still called this but I have purchased a couple of the Eureka Altima bagless vacuums. They cost around $100. I've purchased them at Target and Best Buy.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of daciab
posted Hide Post
Quick! There is a Dyson for sale on Woot today. If you aren't familiar with Woot, they have ONE item for sale each day. It is for sale until it runs out or until midnight. I have bought several items from them. Today they have a refurbished Dyson DC25 for $229.99.
http://www.woot.com/

~DaciaB

UPDATED 06/20/11
http://user.midlands.net/dacia/

"Worms Eat My Garbage"

http://pinterest.com/daciabb/

Posts: 4897 | Location: zone 4 | Registered: Sep 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consumer Report magazine says Hoover Windtunnel is the best. My son has one and he really likes it....especially for picking up dog hair.

love life

Posts: 1560 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I agree with metwo, it's an individual choice, I think. I have a central vac but it's a real pain to just clean a small area so I bought an Oreck about 5 or 6 years ago. I like it just fine but you do have to push it. My daughter has one that is self propelled, and it's so much easier to use, it's a Simplicity and she has a very hairy dog!!, and a cat!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gwenda
posted Hide Post
Late popping on this topic but I hate my Dyson Animal with the ball, I have had it about 7 months and it was inoperable for 6 weeks total because of breakage. First the little rod that opens the bottom of the canister to empty it (two weeks to get a replacement) and then the side of the ball fell off (four weeks to get the part. All this is under warranty but think how dirty a house can get without being vacuumed. Fortunately I have a small Hoover Linx that runs off of batteries. It let me stay ahead of the worst of the dirt twenty minutes at a time..

As a vacuum when it works it does a very good job on carpet and only middling on my wood floors as long as it is just dust. Let there be small leaves or dead grass and you my have to pick it up by hand. Wish I had spent my money on retrofitting my house for a central vac like I had for the past 20+ years. (Did I say the cord tangles and gets in my way and changing back and forth from hose to floor tool is a pain. I have to do this a lot because it just doesn't vacuum under anything except the breakfast and dining tables.)

Can you say I am not a Dyson lover.

Posts: 1171 | Location: DFW Metroplex | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw too, and one can certainly get a lemon in any brand or model, these days.
They all tend to use a lot of plastic parts, so one has to be cautious about any rough treatment, or possible breakage could occur.

And how one takes care of a vacuum can be the difference too...go back and read about cleaning the beater bars in my post above?

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by May:
Consumer Report magazine says Hoover Windtunnel is the best. My son has one and he really likes it....especially for picking up dog hair.

I have a Hoover Windtunnel Pet Rewind. I think this model was discontinued but they do have "newer" models. On sale at Target or a Walmart will be well within the range you posted. I think I paid 70-90 for mine. I have two double coated breeds and this does a good job at getting the hair up. Good suction and I've had it for 3 years or so without any problems.

The ONLY thing I do not like is the cord. You do need to be careful when pulling the cord out if the unit is warm as the coating can be stripped off (but I bet that is true of any self re-wind model and it was 100% my fault) Other than that, I would buy another Hoover.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3445 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, been reading this thread and finally decided to chime in. In the last 8 years, I've had two Dysons and two Orecks - the Dysons are better BUT they give up quickly. The first one blew its clutch (cost $125 to fix) and the second one isn't exactly a go-getter ~ I really have to work hard with the accessories with the wrists to get it to gobble hair, fur and debris...

On the other hand, my Orecks are work-horses ~ never a problem but they just don't get as close to the woodwork as advertised and their accessories aren't very convenient. So, which is better? Jury is still out.... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
can only use one hand to type at the moment due to shoulder replacement so please forgive all the small letters.

i'm with Charcoalsmom on this one. We purchased a Eureka Air Speed with 12 amps and i absolutely love it! it is very similar to a dyson regarding the way it works (bagless). The suction is awesome! Plus, due to arthritis, i need something that isnt too heavy. The Eureka fits that need as well.

I think hubby bought this one at Wal-Mart. The price is very reasonable. This one came with several attachments for upholstery/etc.

A couple things i do not like as much about the Eureka is...the power cord is a bit short (not too bad if you have plenty outlets or attach an extension cord). And i don't feel that it works on the floor as well as it could.

We also have an Oreck...I use it specifically for the floors but always had issues with it on area rugs/carpets (mostly with the belt and didn't feel it got the rugs as clean as the Eurkeka). the oreck is lightweight...which is nice.

We've actually had this oreck for many years, but decided to try something different for the rugs/etc...which is how we ended up with two vacs!lol

as others have mentioned, it is really a personal choice when it comes to vacs. Depends upon your personal needs/budget/etc.

good luck with your purchase~

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Gwenda, "Can you tell I'm not a Dyson lover?" Neither am I. We have had our "animal hair" dyson for about 3 years now and it has been in the shop 3 times already and needs to go again. We spent an hour on the phone with technical support with them telling us what to check so maybe it was something that could be fixed at home In the end, he said to take it to a repair shop, AGAIN! Now, what do I buy without going to the expense of the Dyson?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oreck!! I've had one for 15+yrs and only had it tuned up once. Probably should take it in again!

Carlene

Posts: 1773 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I always buy the cheapest one I can find, with the highest amperage (power). That way, after a year or two, I can give it to charity and get another one.

I know it seems a bit wasteful, but I've never found a way to get all the dirt and dust out of every crevice of an old vacuum cleaner and a couple of family members have allergies that aren't satisfied by ANY filter, so buying new ones works for us.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pebbles03b
posted Hide Post
I have the featherlite dirtdevil & I love it and it cleans great so lightweight to carry upstairs & has a long cord & a hepa filter & no bags.
I had a Filterqueen for 20 yrs that mil bought for me when we got married. I lived that one also. It finally died.

Posts: 1314 | Location: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have a very old Kenmore canister and I think it is wonderful. It even came with an attachment for the stairs. Plus we have an Eureka Boss upright. We've had it for about 6 years.

When we bought the Kenmore it was one of the highest rated Consumer Reports canisters and the Eureka was a top rated upright.

As was mentioned earlier the problem with reviews on Amazon - the really good ones are from people who just bought it.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3603 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
As was mentioned earlier the problem with reviews on Amazon - the really good ones are from people who just bought it.

I don't completely trust the opinions of internet strangers, either.
But if a product has over 1000 reviews, and 85% of them earned 4 or 5 stars, that's a more than adequate indicator of satisfaction for me. Not all those reviews were written by brand-new users; the ones who got lemons write their reviews without delay, too. One thousand reviews, 85% favorable... There aren't too many lemons in this bunch.

Consumer Reports recommendations are the ones that are suspect, IMO. The models they review are only manufactured for a year or two, at most. And they don't report later on those tested models to let us know if they're still performing well or if they're just so much scrap. Why would they, if they're no longer on the market anyway?

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Dixie, you are in need of a vacuum. That's been stated.
Keep this in mind: a cheap item is an expensive item. Buy something to get you by; save and get a Dyson. The subflooring is clean--under carpet and under the padding. We breathe better. It does wonders on mattresses. Use the upholstery attachment.
The suction is fantastic.
Your home will be healthier.

Posts: 5957 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I have two. I bought the Sears Kenmore cannister first (over 5 yrs ago, I think) and it works fine, especially on non-carpeted floors. But after I bought my Eureka Boss (upright) at Lowe's, I find that I much prefer using the upright for my carpeting. Not sure how long I've had it, but I know it's been at least 3 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Just the other day I went with my daughter to have her Simplicity tuned up (it is a very good vac, and I think she paid under $300.00)... anyway I was looking at a new Eureka Canister, white... I wanted to buy it just because it was so pretty!! What I liked about, it among many things, is the head is low enough to fit under almost any piece of furniture which I find appealing. It's a bit pricey at about $1600.00 but it has a pretty good warranty. It's self propelled so if you have a lot of area to do, it basically does the work for you, you just guide it, another plus in my book.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
spend over $250.

maybe Miele Bolero is the best vacuum cleaner, based on the net, hope it helped you. cheers!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcmowner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dixieraven:
Well last week the motor went out. I usually vacuum Two times per week because I have two small dogs in The house. I always kept the filters clean. So I need To know what everyone recommends. I'm looking not to spend over $250.

I have the Hoover Wind tunnel rewind and have had it for 3 years. I also have a dog and I keep the filters clean. It works great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://householdcleaningandmore.net

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we all have different needs in a vacuum, some of us want a higher quality and some of us just want a cheap vacuum that does the trick for a while. With that being said I'm kind of a novice in vacuum buying and I thought you guys could help me out with some advice or suggestions. I found this site last night http://www.squidoo.com/what-is...-best-vacuum-cleaner and I'm considering the hoover windtunnel even tho it's kind of pricey i'm hoping it will last a while. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with it or suggestions of other ways to go? Thanks a lot.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our daughter has had her DYSON for over 8 yrs and it's running great with NO repairs and we've had our "animal"(purple one) for about 5 yrs. Not only do I love it BUT---MIRACLE---
MY HUBBY---HE LIKES TO USE IT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT gets men to vacuum!!! HOW great is that???

Posts: 1720 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Try this site.
I copied it but it's on delay---has a 'trigger' word apparently.
So here's the website. Tells how Consumer Reports rates and lists recommendations/price/ reasons for rating.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business...st/story?id=12985601

Posts: 5957 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
you know i picked up a couple of dirt devils for next to nothing at target for 2 of my kids...shock! they're both still working! (after a christmas sale $39) both have kids...

Posts: 8564 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can find kirby uprights like the G5 on craigslist pretty cheap and they're excellent. Very versitle too.

Posts: 661 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For carpet I love the Dyson DC39, but with the amount of dogs I have, the tubes, filters, and all parts of the vacuum get dirty and are unusable after a year or so. I go through a lot of vacuums, and I think the DC39 is the best vacuum for pet hair. For robotic, I love the iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum Cleaning Robot for Pets and Allergies (details). It works really well at picking up dog hair after I use a broom.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have an Oreck and as mentioned....hard to push on carpeting. Will probably not buy another one. Hoover Wind tunnel looks good to me.

love life

Posts: 1560 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dixieraven:
spend over $250.

I’ve been searching for the perfect vacuum cleaner for years. I came across the Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner.I was very impressed to find that it can suck up anything on the stairs as well. This is a multi-functional vacuum that can clean pretty much any area in the house. And it’s extremely flexible, meaning I can get behind, beside, or under any spot.For more details, go to: http://buythe.info/kenmore-pro...eaner/?ref=jazzmaedc

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner.I was very impressed to find that it can suck up anything on the stairs as well.

I've had this one for almost 10 years and it still works like the day we bought it. I especially like the little light it has on it that lights your way and another light that goes on when you vacuum over dirt. It will go off when the area is clean! Sometimes, I have to go back and forth several times in one area before it turns to green to tell me to move on. Smile It probably was trying to pick up some sand or something. I love my vacuum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4618 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It lasted only 8 months? This prety bad quality vacuum. Get a nice miele or dyson, they are all about quality. Here are some of the top rated vacuums on the market. No more breaking for 8 months Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jennymom,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also recommed Hoover Platinum Upright, it is actually a separate upright and canister vacuums, pretty good deal. Is it the best vacuum for pet hair , well I can't say for sure but is pretty good.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We seems to have a back for breaking our vacuums. After the third, I decided to do a bit more investigating to find the best one and I came across this site (frugal5.com) that does all of the research and searching for you. This is what I found in regards to vacuums:

http://www.frugal5.com/Best-Vacuum-For-The-Money

Posts: 1 | Location: Colorado | Registered: Jan 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dupann15
posted Hide Post
I always had good luck with my Oreck. It's expensive but worth the money. The Dyson I had died a quick death with 2 big dogs in the house.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a year old question. But I have had two Oreck's. I love the light weightiness and I like the way they suck up the dirt but they are so hard to push....Horrible. I have to rest between rooms. Not hard on hard floors but on my low nap carpet it is horrid. My first Oreck was not like that but this second one is bad....I definitely not buy another Oreck...I understand the company is having problems.

love life

posted Hide Post
Are you sure it doesn't have a switch somewhere to activate the self pulling feature?

Posts: 2300 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Today is your Lucky day because you are going to spend under 70 bucks , I've just found an amazing Vacuum Cleaner with good options , Take a look :
http://www.ankaka.com/300w-ult...-cleaner_p49227.html

See highlights :

Helps to eliminate bacterial and harmful organisms in bed that are invisible to the ***** eyes
Gives you a clean and comfortable bedroom
Can also be applied to sofa, crib pads, curtains and so on
High efficient roller brush, sterilizing UV lamp, tail filter and garbage box is included for your convenience

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the person in Americans are having allergic-provoking irritants.A good HEPA cleaner, is a good choice for those who have allergy with dust and other things related with cleaning. Every house owner want a best cleaning things in their home, they want best cleaner that should be suitable for their home and stay long time without any problem.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you will ask me about the best vacuum cleaner that is friendly to your pet then check http://www.bobsweep.com/.

Bob is a new friend to your darling pets.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
A ROOMBA!!!!!!!! DH surprised me with one and I loveeeeeeeeeeee it!!!!!!! If you have any hip/back, etc. issues, it will immensely improve your life (that is if you don't have a maid already!)

I don't mind other cleaning; just h8ted doing floors!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want details Smile

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I have the Oreck. I love it because of the wood floors and carpet button change. It is so easy to go to the other floor type with out stopping. It does a good job. This is a very expensive vacuum though.

html

Posts: 2531 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Our new house has a central vacuum system in it and I'm finding that I love it, especially the intake units in rooms with bare floors. Makes sweeping up SO easy.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6784 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post