Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spicy shelf Sign In/Join 
Picture of sewandsew
posted
Has anyone tried Spicy Shlf for organizing spices etc. it looks too good to be try. Lots of TV commercials and web stuff touting it. But then there are customer reviews disappointed in customer service and delayed shipping. I see Amazon has them also.

Posts: 594 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bed bath and beyond usually has seen on TV stuff. Looks good but knowing me, I'd fill the middle so full you couldn't see the spices.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem a good idea to me. Looks like a lot of wasted space on those shelves.
I use turntables for my spices.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I haven't used or seen this one so checked the video to see the concept. I'm afraid of those shelves and everything taking a tumble.

Lots of other options for storage here. Visit one of the stores if you have one close to you. They have great organizers.

http://www.containerstore.com/...rumbPageTitle=Search

Do you have an extra kitchen drawer to store the spices? I use the turntables too. You can find different diameters at the BBB stores.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9485 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Sis2, I would fill the center and you couldn't see the back row without moving everything which might not matter if you can remember what is back there. (I would,never, ever remember).

I have spices on a turntable but find it wastes a lot of space (above it). To me spices are sooooo hard to find a place to store that is right for you. If you do try this come back and tell us how it worked out.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I looked it up...too much wasted space and too easy to put stuff in front of the spices.

I keep minimal spices in a drawer to the left of my cooktop (above the hot pad drawer Wink ). I showed DH what I wanted and waited and waited for him to build me something so that I could get rid of the jumbled mess of jars and tins in the drawer. I finally purchased two wire "step" racks. With a pair of pliers, I bent the long back legs in and out of the way so that the racks would lay as flat in the drawer as possible. I put the two racks side by side, overlapping as needed and those bent legs sorta hooked the other where the two racks met. Works perfect for my drawer space.

The bulk of my spices are stored in the freezer and I just put as much as I need within a short period of time in the jars...trying to keep them as fresh as possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have a small lazy susan on the top shelf of one cabinet - it has very low clearance and is not useful for other items. Plus, I have the drawer insert for spices. Very handy - you can probably get them from the big box home stores, I requested it when ordering my cabinets.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post