Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning a Dirty Flower Pot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a Dirty Flower Pot Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
I had a couple of pretty plastic flower pots that I kept out all year .(I learned from this ghastly mistake!!) Now, I have been trying for 2 days to clean one of them that has dirt on the top and rim of the pot. I soaked it in detergent w/bleach overnight, used Oxi-Clean and scrubbed it with a wire brush and it's still dirty. The only thing I haven't tried yet is Magic Eraser. I'll faint if that works... I never worked so hard in cleaning something before in my life!! It's only dirt and I thought all the rain (& some snow) would wash it off. NOT!! Any other hints to remove this dirt (potting soil dirt, what else could it possibly be?) Thanks!!!!

Posts: 2426 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
The minerals from the water, fertilizer, etc. add to the problem.

Posts: 17040 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the plastic is stained, there's not much you can do.

Posts: 1886 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Perhaps tape off the unstained areas (assuming they exist) and spray the stained areas with Fusion spray paint for plastics?

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Conrad said.....paint the unstained areas or better yet, paint them all over a new color. Black for a wrought iron look, red for an accent color, green to blend in with your garden....whatever you want. We painted some little patio tables red last year...used the fusion spray paint and they turned out great!

love life

Posts: 1513 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If they are valuable enough to you I vote for painting too!

Posts: 12583 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I found something that worked to clean off most of the dirt!!! A brillo pad. I cut them up in quarters, it's easier to work with little pieces. Magic eraser didn't do much but fall apart. What a lot of work, I will never be lazy again, and bring them INSIDE!!! The plastic pots are pretty and are white, I really just wanted them clean again. I wouldn't paint them black, retains HEAT, I'd paint them a bright color!!! That is a good idea for the future, thanks! I never painted plastic pots before. The paint stays on and doesn't peel off? I saw it in Lowe's, but never actually did it ~ that's a good idea for ugly boring-colored pots!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2426 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let it dry and then you can easily remove the dirt.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the SPAMMER brought this old post to the top I thought I would ask a question about plastic pots.

I have a large one (comes up to my knees) that I really would like to change the color on. I know I can spray paint it with the plastic paint but I would like to do it a little different. I really don't want one color unless I have to. I don't want round stripes. Have you ever sprayed (too) close so the paint runs down? I was thinking something like that with 2 or 3 colors. Would it adhere okay.?

Maybe I should find a small cheap pot and try it.

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If you want that look why not just use a brush?

BTW I use spray (or out of the can) paints on all materials. . . glass, wood, plastic etc.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've used "regular" spray paint on plastic pots lots of times, because the colors of the specialty stuff are too primary and bright for my taste.
The durability isn't terrific but is acceptable. If you handle the pot too much, the paint will chip. Squirrels nibbled the paint off of a corner of a painted square pot this spring. (They can't chew like that on round pots, however.) But, if you don't plan on moving the pot too much, the paint will hold up for at least one season. If it chips after that, I just repaint again.

Posts: 4512 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I was wondering was if anyone had deliberately (or accidentally) sprayed too close so that the paint ran down. Does it really run? Does it become too heavy to adhere okay?

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Yes, it really will run in spots if applied too heavily.
But here's what I'm thinking about your idea...
Once you get the first color on thick enough to run, you won't be able to apply a second and third color without covering up the first color/runs. You'd be applying paint ad infinitum.
KWIM?
I think you'd have to apply a first coat and then somehow apply "runs" in liquid form from a dropper or squeeze bottle.

I didn't think to add to my first reply - Be sure to rough up the plastic with sandpaper or heavy steel wool before spray painting. Perhaps it would help to apply a coat of spray primer before color-coating. I've never bothered to try that.

Posts: 4512 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas, nettiejay.

I've had this pot planted with snapdragons that kept blooming good for about 4 years ( this is in AR and I am in MN). My friend said they died this year. They had such a lot of blooms this year. Maybe they bloomed too much. LOL. Thought it would be a good time to fix the pot so it looks better with our new house and then change the soil. Now I have to decide what colors. I would prefer to buy my supplies here as there are limited sources in AR unless one goes to Branson or Springfield,MO.