Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Washing sky lights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing sky lights? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Grapefruit
posted
Our home is 27 years old and has one fixed sky light and two operational ones. For most of those years they remained relatively clean . In recent years they have a mossy/cloudy something on them.

Two years ago I had the young man, who cleans our gutters and large windows, walk across the roof and wash the fixed one. It was very scary! The roof is very high. I hesitate to ever ask him again. The other two are even harder to get to.

What do you do in this situation? I can live with it but it would be SO nice to have them be clean!

Posts: 3137 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
A pro window cleaning company may be a safe solution for a splurge every few years? They are used to working in odd places and normally have good insurance (ask anyway).

If you could get to them with a hose, the Windex hose end sprayer might help. But honestly, I don't think there is any substitution for a "hands on" window mop, good cleaner and a squeegee.

It is also possible you could have a failed window seal (between the panes). And in that case, cleaning is not going to make you much happier, as they will remain cloudy.

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have pro window washers clean them once per year. Once they are sparkling clean, I usually receive a gift from an overflying bird.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Conrad, I don't think that it is the seal.....just filth. The fixed one was nice and clean right after the washing a couple of years ago.

I use a professional washer for the very large windows, and he is the guy who did the one. He just uses ladders and rags. We don't have the kind who set up scaffolding. I cannot imagine someone walking to the two other ones.

Posts: 3137 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Don't know what your roof is like, nor how steep, but metal roofs usually require an anchored harness system in order to safely move around on.

I was considering putting skylights in one area of our new addition we are planning, with metal roof. Now you have me reconsidering that and just go with dormers...that are more diy friendly for cleaning. See? Your post helped in ways you had no idea it could!Wink

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Conrad, it is good to know that I finally helped someone on here!!! Our roof is not metal, and it is too steep to get onto....unless you are a goatSmile

When I "googled" how to clean them, it says "get on the roof with your bucket....". Hello????? If I could get on the roof I would not be asking for help!!!Smile

That being said, I love the skylights. They were not original to the house so they were very much needed. My experience with dormers is that they do not let in as much light. But, I LOVE the look of dormers and the little inside nook that they create.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We currently have 2 skylights on our 3 season porch, and they do stay relatively clean with just rain/snow sliding off. Luckily this situation is on a standard slope/shingled roof, and only one story. But like you, every 2-3 years I do like to take a bucket up and clean them well.

If someone was able to get a ladder up, could a hose end sprayer (with that Windex hose end bottle) possibly work? Or maybe they are just too far away from the edge to hit with much direct force?

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
I manage to hose bathroom skylight off. Usually the rains keep the outside clean.
More awkward is ladder and twisting about to clean the inside of the light.

Is the cloudiness all over or just in one area? If in one area, it does sound like a leak in the seal.

Posts: 5924 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. No, it is just dirty.....more like a mossy look. We live in the woods, so some areas do not get as much light as others.

Yes, I keep hoping that the rain does my work...Wink