Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  How Old Are Your Current Bath Towels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Old Are Your Current Bath Towels? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
I accidentally got hair coloring on one of my bathroom towels. I never did that before and felt terrible. It was on the bottom of my peach-colored towel so I will still use it (don't think anyone else noticed it yet!!) Wink
I then realized this towel was 24 yrs. old!!! Towels really last a long time. It looks good for having been washed so much for so long!!!
How old are your towels! Wink

Posts: 2558 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one house most of my towels are about the old too. I never thought of that before!

Usually the wash cloth wears out first and if I cannot find a coordinating one then the towel becomes the dog towel or a cleaning towel.

They do last a long time!

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At my house the exact opposite is the case--the matching washcloths last forever because I don't like a thick washcloth. You can't get them in your "nooks and crannies" nearly as well as those cheapies that come in stacks of a dozen.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Funny to read this just now as before I sat down at the computer I was looking at a stack of towels and remembering when I bought one of them.

I can remember exactly because I was with a dear friend when I bought them. It was 1983 and one of those large discount places. At that time I was still using some I had received as a wedding shower gift in 1961!

I have many newer towels which I prefer as they are larger in size. Towels do last a very long time and I keep smaller sized now (but bath sized when bought!) as hair drying towels.

Now I rarely use other than white.

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've replaced all of mine in the past 2 yrs.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I am guilty of keeping them too long! I have one hand towel ( not used very often) that was my grandmother's.She died in 1963.

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Prob at least 15 yrs. old...I bought a huge pack of white ones at SAMs and they still look pretty good really cause I bleach them.

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
sms, I don't like a thick wash cloth either, the more worn out, the better. But I like to buy new towels, and find the best bargains at TJMAXX, Ross, or Marshalls.

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
15-20 years for most of them. I got a free one last December from our grocery store.. nice towel. About 10 years ago I bought 6 cheap white towels when I realized I forgot to pack some for a condo rental. I gave a couple of those away, but still use the rest.

What happens here is I add a towel or 2, a few years ago to take to the pool for the kids swimming lessons, for kindergarten nap mats.. stuff like that.

I also far prefer the big bundle of thin cheap wash cloths to the matching thick ones.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I have a few from about 40 years ago but mostly probably 20 years or so. I just took a big box of them from Dad's that are thick and nice. I also keep worn out ones to wipe down spills and use when painting the house. Some are given to the humane society too.

piney

Posts: 3248 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I bought all new towels and wash cloths when we bought our home almost 3 years ago. I'm with sms about thinner wash cloths, so I just buy a stack.

Oddly, while I always thought they lasted a long time, over the years my mother would always complain how old and worn my previous towels were! The first "batch" dated to around 13 years. The second "batch" was around 10 years old.

She could feel the difference, and replaced hers once a year. Of course, it wasn't 40 or 50 towels... there were just a few towels and washrags, enough for both she and my dad.

Perhaps the number of towels we have has a bearing on how long they last?

Also, I kinda wonder if it's so gradual we don't notice how worn they really are.

Posts: 4635 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I love to use rags to clean with. Old towels are my favorite for wet jobs. I cut or rip them up to a manageable size and after use, put them in a separate pile in the laundry.

For dusting I use old t.shirts or flannel etc.

I have neatly folded stacks on a shelf in my broom closet. Isn't it funny what makes us feel wealthy? My stacks of cleaning cloths is one of those things for me.

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
One stack of very, very old is used for floor for grand's bathing and for jobs around the house.
Other two stacks are fairly news. Bath towels are for display only.
Basement bath has many old, old towels for the shower there (why the main baths are not used).

I change out main towels and rugs weekly.

Posts: 5972 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just relagated a striped beach towel to the flor as a 'rug" to catch the winter slush coming in. My mom remembers using it at the beach in the 40's!!!

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of mine are quite old. Some from late mil's and some are from my parents'. Seems like the older ones are wearing better than some of the new ones.

I know some of the newer kitchen towels looks as old as the old ones.

Heloise, the Mom not the daughter, said that she liked to make tops from worn towels to wear while she was cleaning.

I get the cloths in stacks too. They are used many ways. I buy towels a few at a time, so won't all wear out at once.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6398 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
How many rinse towels with a little vinegar and not fabric softener which cuts down on their absorbency?

Posts: 3248 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I don't use fabric softener or vinegar.

Posts: 4635 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of my towels are over 10 yrs. Old ones are relegated to bathing the dog etc. Even older ones to use in emergency for water spills and cleaning the car. However, I have a set of guest towels that only get put out for company and a set for the two spare bedrooms when we have guests...they are about 5 yrs. old but will last forever as they only get used a couple of times a year. Recently, I found out that you should not use dryer sheets when drying towels as it leaves a coating on them and they aren't as absorbant...so I do this now too.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Mine are various ages. I buy a few new ones about every year, and weed out the most worn ones. Most of the towels are probably between 5 and 15 years old.

Posts: 7284 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I probably have some 20 year old towels left. Many are in my laundry room for mopping up anything. I keep them bleached and take the hand towels and washcloths with me to our friends of the library catering events because it doesn't matter if they make it home with me or not. I've apologized for the staining but several have laughed at me and said that their good kitchen linens are stained worse. Wink

DH likes white towels, but we have iron in the water so they aren't pretty and white after just the first washing. In 16 years I've replaced them twice just because of the discoloring. Since they are in the master bath, I'm not replacing them until they are threadbare and/or raveling.

I have colored towels in the guest bathroom - I use it. So they are pretty. Smile

Posts: 17435 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Sherry, we had iron in our water at our old house. It wouldn't show unless I put in bleach. I called the bleach company and they suggested calgon water softener in the water first, then add bleach. No problems since. Now we are on a public water system.

piney

posted Hide Post
I don't use bleach at all any more on things that count. I found a product called Iron Out. I use it in the white towels and DHs white t-shirts. It smells "gassy." PHEW!

I'll have to give the Calgon a try.

Posts: 17435 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Been married 35 years. Have one faded hand towel left from the bridal shower gifts.

Most of our towels are 10 years old. I hate thick towels and bath clothes. Like someone says, they just don't fit into nooks and crannies. So I buy mine at Dollar General. They really do last. I just bought a brand new batch this morning. We're about to redecorate the master bath so I went to DG and got a brand new stack of gray ones and a couple of lime green.

DH is painting the guest bath right now. Got all new ones for it but they are thick ones from Bed Bath &Beyond and Target. We won't need towels again for a long time.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
As a child, I would reflect on our towels in our house. My mother RARELY replaced them, I saw how holey they were and always wished for newer towels. So, I update towels more often. Older towels become the insulation of our new potholders. Smile New towels are always a nice gift.

Posts: 5241 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think mine are about 6 years old. I recommend buying bath sheets instead of towels. They are amazing!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
My mother kept towels until some of them were threadbare!!! And you had to fight with her to get rid of them, even if you gave her new ones. As for myself, I have never worn one out but got tired of them, or they started to look less than how I wanted, so I replace them. The older ones then go to the utility cabinet and then the really old ones go to the rag bag.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6853 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have 2 sets of different colors for each bathroom, the newest are a couple of years old. I have bought them at Kohls or TJ Maxx. I believe they last longer if the towels are not laundered after every use, and no fabric softener used (but that is a whole other discussion, been here before)

I got rid of a huge bag of old bath/hand towels and beach towels when I cleaned out the linen closet. It was amazing how many old ones were saved in the back. Besides a few that we save for water spills, they are never used for rags here, they just require too much time/energy to wash and dry. (I have a couple large stacks of microfiber towels for cleaning use, that I prefer)
The old towels were donated to the local animal shelter, as they are always in need of towels.

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
actually just bought dh a new set...but 9 times out of 10, I use my big terry cloth robe for a towel(esp in the cold weather) my very old tiny ones (how did they ever dry us??) now in the kitchen...

Posts: 8593 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My towels are not very old, a few years at the most. I have one "white" one that I've dedicated as my hair coloring towel. Maybe because I've rarely bought expensive towels, most of them start looking tired and worn after a few years so I replace them. Or I get tired of looking at the same ones...

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
24 yrs old.. bought at JCP after I got married. Lately I've been using my sewing machine to overstitch their edges- they had started to fray.
I have noticed that the ones i've seen in stores don't seem to be nearly as dense or well made.

Posts: 662 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I never buy anything but white towels and mine go through a long process of recycling. First as a bath towel, maybe 10-12years. Then as towels for the dogs, 3-4 years. After they get holes or wear thin, they get cut up for cleaning cloths and then go out for shop/garage cloths that are thrown away after use. I originally had JC Penny towels that lasted a good 14 years and now are in the rag box after 20 years. I now have those thick Sam's towels made in India, they will probably last me 20 years even though I bleach the h.e!! out of them.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zone9alady
People talk about how bleach deteriorates fabrics, but my DM had sheets that she'd used on MY double bed when I was still at home. Her guest bed was double size and after I left home she never purchased another set of sheets. The same thing with her towels. Twenty years after I'd moved out she was still using those pretty floral towels that came in detergent. And she too bleached the he!! out of her towels and linens.

With an unserviced filter system on the well the iron levels in our water is terrible. Adding bleach turns even the water orange. So...sigh...bleach is on a hiatus around my house. DH did mention...again...putting chemicals in the system. I've learned not to even cross my fingers in hope any more...finger cramps are painful! Wink

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I have to use bleach on my sheets and towels, just not comfortable going without.
I tried using that OXY stuff for awhile, I just didn't see much difference in whites when using it. It was like using detergent alone, all the whites were dull, back to Clorox. I have always used Tide my entire life. I tried one box of Gain a few years ago because I liked the smell. It does not clean as well. I found myself using twice as much to get the same results.

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:
...bleach...just not comfortable going without.

I know exactly what you mean! DH likes white towels and uses the master bath. I use colors in the guest bath and I use that bathroom. I do not wash DHs tidy whities (which are NOT white at all any more thanks to the iron in the water), his towels, and the sheets off his bed with my clothing, towels, or sheets. I just can't do it. He and I have different levels of preferred cleanliness even down to washing hands and how often a hand towel needs to be changed...that's a totally different discussion that will go no further...

OH AND I put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser on my washing machine. I used it for months instead of fabric softener. I mentioned it in front of him one time. He had never said a word until after that that he could smell the vinegar in his clothes. I use so little that I can't smell it - and I have a good sniffer. Wink So, I started washing his clothing totally separate from mine and did not use vinegar in his. I actually overheard him telling someone about me using vinegar and he could smell it. GOTCHA! I told him in private that it had been months since I used vinegar in his laundry. The mighty power of suggestion...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
LOL, Sherry, I've had the same experience with my hubby. Not with vinegar in the wash but with celery in food, he hates celery and sometimes he swears he can taste it and it's not even there! I just put it in my salad and not in his.

Back to the towel topic, I think the oldest towels I have are about 30 years old. Not that I would use them for bathing, they are more like cheesecloth now! LOL!

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
OT Here again.
CELERY!! It reached the point with holiday meals that my mother assigned the dressing (southern-style cornbread dressing) to me so that she didn't have to juggle oven time with a big ham and then the dressing. I made it just like she and her mother did. No written recipe...it is just in our genetic makeup. Wink

Daddy looked at it and asked, "What's this green sh!t in here?" (Daddy was a very vocal truck driver.)
"It's celery, Daddy."
"Your mama doesn't put celery in it when she makes it!"
"Yes she does."
"No she doesn't."
"But Daddy...she does!"
From the adjoining kitchen we hear, "Sherry, you have to chop it fine enough that he can't see it."

I promise...I did not smirk. Even though I was grown and in my early 40s...I did NOT smirk at my daddy!

He ate it.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Aaahahahaha, that is just too funny!

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
That was funny!

So I think as a result of this thread and our seemingly dearth of towels, I bought 4-6 terry cloth towels from BB&B. I thought all were the same brand but I guess not--the two pink ones were larger than the other ones.

To my complete surprise and utter dismay, as large and beautiful as the pink towels were, they didn't dry off worth a darn. I had never experienced something like that. I just couldn't figure it out.

So when I was at Walmart a few weeks ago, I bought a few from there (as I had in the past) and they dry off quite nicely.

It's just odd. I've never noticed a difference in drying efficiency for towels before.

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post