Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Got ants? - Important Update added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got ants? - Important Update added Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
The first ant problem I ever had was last year at this time. They drove me nearly insane! I tried two brands of ant baits and boric acid powder. None worked. I never could identify the entry point or nest area, so I couldn't target those specifically. Well, they finally just left on their own when they felt good and ready. grrrr

They came back last week. ARGHHH A few months ago, I read a Yahoo article about natural pest control methods. One tip said to use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to spray on surfaces where ants are seen. I did that immediately after I saw the first swarm, and repeated it again the next two days, several times each day. After misting the area, I let it dry naturally so the faint vinegar scent remained. I haven't seen any ants since. Seriously! I can't believe it was this easy.

Just wanted to share an effective, cheap, and environmentally safe method of ant control in case anyone needs it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4659 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good hint. Now if I can only remember it when needed Smile

Posts: 7244 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep all the hints I want to remember on my NOTEPAD (on computer) and have different headings (titles) like cleaning tips, cooking tips from HGTV etc. IT WORKS! Saves paper and memory slots in my brain that is getting less and less and I get older and older!! LOL

Posts: 1720 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, that s good to know. I never would have thought about vinegar. I was spraying like crazy with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. Not sure that it had any long term results.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have to add a warning here.

If you have marble counters, windowsills, or floors, there is a risk of etching stains from using vinegar (or other acids) on marble. It was only today, when I started routinely cleaning the windowsill that was sprayed, that I noticed dull spots where the droplets of vinegar sat. I'm okay with it, because the sill is 43 years old and shows it anyway. There are a number of dings and stains that I just cover with plants and knick-knacks. I don't mind a few more scars if it means so easily keeping ants away.

I probably would mind if I had marble counters and they were damaged, however. Thus, in good conscience, I hereby issue this warning.

Posts: 4659 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
We've had rain...8 inches a couple of weeks ago. 3-4 inches last Saturday. The ants are running RAMPANT! Saturday before the rain I found them at the garage back door (at the base of the slab and in the facing/wall) and back corner of the screen room...so poisoned them. Then the 3-4 inch rain hit, but both those spots still look okay...guess the rain washed the poison down in the beds.

While cleaning the pool skimmer I noticed a small bed beside the house slab under a bathroom window. I saw a few ants on the brick. For some reason I took the pool skimmer/lid hook and tapped the side of the house down close to the slab. Ants poured out of a weep hole in the mortar. I went through the house to the garage to get the poison and told husband to meet me at the skimmer end of the pool. By that time the ants were running amouk (how do you spell amuk?). He took the hook end and poked it in the weep hole and the ants just boiled out. I dusted granules over the itty bitty ant hill and sprayed bug killer in the hole. DH, PLEASE walk around the house looking for ant beds and while you're at it do the same thing with the well house and the shop...PLEASE. I'm not holding my breath.

Later I went out for photos of the sunset. I had to go get the granules again. One bed was the size of a large turkey platter. I sprinkled granules on 7-8 ant beds just in the front yard. Frown

And we have more rain in the forecast - which we need, but it sure makes the ants restless! At this rate I may have to go buy more poison!

Posts: 17311 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me scared to see what I will face when we get back to our Fl home next week. Know Ft Myers area has had an incredible amount of rain as well. Keeping.... what product do you use for ant control?

Posts: 3156 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
(how do you spell amuk?).

"amok"... Big Grin

Sounds like a h0rror movie, Sherry. With that many, are you able to keep them outside of the house?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 17311 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flboy
We leave Fri for FL - wonder what my lanai looks like- I'm about an hour south of you and I know the rain has been relentless. Another chore to do when opening up the house after 6 mo.

Posts: 3156 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ants running AMOK in the kitchen under the sink and in the trash Sunday evening. Arrrggghhhhh!

Husband went to his favorite hardware store yesterday and purchased what they recommended.
Me: Did you go 'doctor' the ant hills today?
He: No.

Me: Hanging head amazed.

Picture of Got Ants?
posted Hide Post
You want to be careful about the products you use for ants -- many are toxic for home, family, pets, and the environment. For California ants especially (the Argentine ant species, which is the big ant problem for most Californians), check out www.gotantsgetserious.org - a handy-dandy what-to-do website brought to you by your local public servants trying to let people know the most effective and least toxic ways of dealing with ants.

Posts: 3 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: Nov 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of isabellaturner
posted Hide Post
"local public servants"? hmm.

Anyway, try also a steam cleaner if you have it. I have occasional ant problems (I have moved a lot during the recession - but I finally bought a house!! Smile)

Seems like every place I lived had them prior and they come back as soon as I land. A steam cleaner seems to mess up their chemical trails/signals that they leave behind for others. I think that's why vinegar also works.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ants are similar to Subterranean termites the only difference is ants are not prey on wood.
Ants make you insane if you do not eradicate them.
Instead of any powder like boric acid 'Orange oil' is better as it is liquid it can go in deep colonies of ants and stop their reproduction.

Nelson Pitter

Posts: 4 | Location: 104 monmouth way ,Clifton Park, NY 12065 | Registered: Mar 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18740 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
mamaspoon, we have been getting ready for company so I have been working on the lanai. I have not seen any ants yet but I know they are there. We had our first rain in weeks the other day and night. It has been very dry here. Cold now and our pool filter has quit. Why does everything happen when company is due?

html

Posts: 2531 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's called Murphy's Law! Hope you get the pool filter fixed in time for your guests to be able to use the pool.

posted Hide Post
Sprinkle powdered red chili pepper, Borax or Paprika on any ant trails you see. You can apply these substances on any entry point such as cracks or holes to prevent the ants from entering your home through them.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Back here too. Found 4 buggers on the stove and counter. Cold again so we haven't seen any more.

html

Posts: 2531 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a small quantity of wheat floor poured at the place where ants built their home then also ants not spread outside their home.

Nelson Pitter

Posts: 4 | Location: 104 monmouth way ,Clifton Park, NY 12065 | Registered: Mar 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
nelsonpitter, HUH.

html