Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning a closet today and found...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a closet today and found... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
... a stack of old-fashioned typewriter paper.
I think I read somewhere that it isn't a good idea to use it as ink-jet printer paper, because it "drinks" up the ink... Whereas printer-specific paper lets the ink sit on the surface.

Anybody know if that's true?

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd use it. How much (why?) do you print. I don't print enough to care if it would use a little more ink.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I think that an ink-jet cartridge emits a specific amount of ink period regardless of the paper used.

One thing I do to stretch my ink is to print non-essential stuff on fast draft. You can find it after you click Filed...the Print...then Preferences.

Posts: 16922 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it might just be not quite as clear. It depends what you are printing.

Since I am one of those list makers, I would just use it as scrap paper for that. Or doddles, or snowflakes Smile

Posts: 6972 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just HAVE to ask. What do you print and why?
I use my scanner a lot but I actually can't remember the last thing I printed. Oh, yeah, in October, I printed directions to pick up my son just in case my GPS didn't find it.

Really curious here.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say I print a LOT of stuff, but I use it to print the medium and hard NY Times Sudoku puzzles daily (on fast draft setting Wink ) so that I can do them on the couch while DH watches TV.
~ Christmas return address labels to match my cards.
~ Coupons, Groupons, event tickets, etc.
~ An occasional business or personal letter.
And I often print out recipes because the computer is at the other end of the house from the kitchen.
No laptop, e-reader, or smart phone here to do those things.

Sherry, I just read an ink-saving tip I didn't know. I had always turned off the printer's power until I needed it; but this tip said that each time the machine is turned on, the print head changes positions, which causes a certain amount of ink loss in the process. Am not entirely sure what that exactly means, except I do know the print head moves when turned on and off. Maybe I'm wasting a bit more electricity by leaving it on, but it does seem my cartridges are lasting longer.

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I would say, try printing something on the paper, and see how it goes. You will know right away if you can use the paper or not.

Posts: 7159 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
nettiejay
I can't decide whether to turn my printer off or not. We have two printers, one in DHs office and one in my sewing room. Currently DHs printer is not working and he has not replaced it so since mine is set up to work wirelessly he prints to it. My printer cleans the inkjets nightly sometime around dark:thirty. At first it startled me out of my sleep. Now I am used to it. But still trying to decide whether to turn it off unless in use. And no more than we print, I probably should.

Posts: 16922 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post