Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  car head lights??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

car head lights?? Sign In/Join 
posted
I know there's some product that claims to just wipe away the haze... one of those "but WAIT!" infomercials. Wondering if anyone has a possibly homemade way to de-haze headlights? It's not like haze is a DANGER and certaily NOT willing to buy the "but WAIT" stuff.

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just wash our headlights off with a cloth and water....is this haze something other than dust/dirt?

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think it's result of age... 116,000 miles... normal abrasion from driving?? Have tried a few things. Tried rubbing alcohol... initially looked like it worked... didn't help but didn't hurt. KNEW better than try something like acetone. Tried TOOTHPASTE on a SMALL spot... heard/read it's good for cleaning up silver, I think... mildy abrasive... not harm, no foul. Thinking whatever that TV product is must kind fill the microscopic etchings??

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never understood why some cars get it and others don't. We keep our cars a long time and have never had it but I see newer cars with hazy lenses. Go figure.

Anyway, I was reading and some suggested Magic Eraser which is like a mild sand paper. Someone suggested a very fine wet sand paper.

You might try it on a small corner to see if it works.

Posts: 7205 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
http://www.ehow.com/how_448863...-car-headlights.html

box of baking soda
tube of white toothpaste
terry cloth towel

Read the above link for baking soda/toothpaste ratio and procedure.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about homemade cleansers, but my friend just used the commercial product last week and it worked like a charm on hers. It wasn't cheap, I don't think... In the $40 range for a "kit" of some kind. But it did work and was a bargain compared to replacing the lenses. Sorry, I don't know the brand.

Posts: 4621 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$40 is definitely a bargain. Had something pop a hole in a rear tail light. I taped it over to keep water from coming in. A USED relacement over $150... ya have to swap out entire unit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thatchairlady,

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
S in law got a product/kit purchased on Ebay. I think it was in the 20 dollar range? Anyway he was able to polish and clear all the haze off one of their Lexis's head lights for about an hours work of time.

Posts: 9662 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
DH has tried several cleaners unsucessfully, but not the $40 kit. He just bought new headlights on ebay for $50 and free shipping.

Posts: 3627 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took a DOllAR STore "magic" eraser to headlights and can see a difference. Will have to see what happens when I seriously go at them later?!?

posted Hide Post
Thatchairlady, glad to see it worked a little bit. Please post back in a bit to tell us whaT worked and keeps them clean After drying.

(This ipad can drive me crazy. Capital letters in the middle of words, odd words. Grrrrr)

Posts: 7205 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
our regular mechanic bought the headlight cleaner kit and routinely uses it on the headlights of the used cars he sells. It works well.

(We LOVE our regular mechanic, and have bought our past 10 vehicles from him.)

It isn't just a matter of cleaning the headlight assembly, the kit removed the oxidation that forms on/in the plastic.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three people I saw with REALLY hazed headlight (common on plastic headlights today and CUTS the light that comes out for you) THEY all (NO exception) told me that they used that TV product (BUT WAIT) and it looked great for a week--like new.
BUT THEN--later it was worse than before they used it so they were really sorry they used it.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
If you are not very careful and don't follow the instructions to the letter you can do more damage than good. Ask on line and there are really good step by step instructions. Or go to your local garage - it is labor intensive so it costs $60+ for them to do it.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post