Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Fruit flies in the bathroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fruit flies in the bathroom Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted
i am having a real problem with fruit flies in our bathroom. I can't begin to figure this out.
There is no fruit in the bathroom, no apple cores, banana peels, no empty fruit juice containers.

They cluster in there in little nasty clouds, and I can't find the source.

I scrubbed out the vanity in caase they like watermelon flavored toothpaste but that didn't help.

Are they in the drain??

What do I do??

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask this Kathy as DH was just talking to me about this subject this morning!

Stop using the tooth paste and dry out your sink. He also said that at night put ice cubes in the drain. they breed there.

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Drain flies are what they are called. They live and breed on the gunk (soap, toothpaste, skin, hair) that is in drain traps, that does not wash away. Check the link below on how to rid them from your bathroom sink.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Drain-Flies

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was interesting!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for posting this. I tried the tape last night and it IS drain flies, so I will do a thorough cleaning and then FIRST try vinegar/baking soda boiling watersince its free.

Our little girl has very long hair and we automaticaly clean out the shower drain after every shower, but they seem to be coming from the sink.. so that's the starting point. ICK

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I had this problem back in June. Nearly drove me nuts !!

Called the exterminator and they told me to pour boiling water down the drain pipes. That solved the problem.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post