Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Stainless Sink Grid Worth the **?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Sink Grid Worth the **? Sign In/Join 
posted
While looking at new stainless steel sinks in the showrooms, notice they now carry as an option a stainless steel grid you can put in the bottom of your sink to protect it. I have seen them for porcelain sinks, in plastic, but do you really need one for a stainless sink?, especially at a price of $80- $130???

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I don't think so.
I would be constantly lifting it to clean and wipe under it. Extra step in other words. I'd invest the extra cost in a heavy duty, quality sink instead.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, thanks for confirming my thoughts

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Don't know how old our stainless steel double sink was when we bought our house in 1971, but I have never felt the need to do anything to the sink but clean it!

Posts: 13076 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I cannot do without the stainless steel grid in my stainless sink. We have always had one in our sinks.

It protects dishes and glassware. And, keeps pots and pans from scratching the bottom of the sink. I was lucky, the Kraus heavy-duty stainless farmhouse style sink I bought last year included the grid.

I don't find it -- or the sink -- particularly hard to keep clean. Perhaps that's because it's just me and DH at home. We use the faucet spray arm to clean under the grid every day. I scour the sink once a week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kyradeprez
posted Hide Post
I have a double stainless steel sink, and have been fine without the grid. Granted I use my dishwasher more than anything, so it is really just a resting and rinsing.

Kyra Deprez
The Boardwalk Cleaning Co
www.boardwalkcleaning.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have had stainless steel sinks in two homes and have never had a grid. There's no scratches or anything in my sinks. To me it's just another thing to clean.

However, Amazon reviews for the sink grids are good for just about all of them.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
FYI: here is a link to the Kraus stainless sink grid (the one that came with my sick) and the customer reviews. http://www.overstock.com/Home-...ustomer-reviews.html

And, it is nowhere near $100 in price.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've had several stainless sinks, including now, and never had a grid and no problems with scratches. Aren't folks somewhat careful or do they just throw stuff in the sink?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6818 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What aychi said! I put Kraus sinks in the high end spec house I managed a couple of years ago that came with grids. Very reasonable,heavy duty and they included faucets, drains, grids and even a towel!

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect it depends upon the way you use your sink though it seems a bit expensive.

To me, it is like leaving plastic on the lamp shade because it is too nice to get dirty.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Some just might enjoy "accessorizing"? For the look alone, and not always for a necessary purpose.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I don't have stainless, but I do keep a Rubbermaid type grid in my farm sink mostly to protect glassware. Sink is enamel finish and I don't want to damage it. Grid gets top rack in DW every few runs, and I fill the sink with bleach water two times a week minimum to clean dishcloths, sponges, etc.

If you want a grid you can get one from BB&B for cheap. I like having one but wouldn't spend that much for an item that will get heavy use and wear.

Posts: 3475 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently did two kitchen remodels in our duplex and bought Ruvati sinks from Amazon, which came with grids included. Absolutely gorgeous and high quality, and much cheaper than anything we say in stores. My daughter uses the grid in her kitchen, but to me, it just provides another item to clean. I don't care of my sink has scratches - it's a sink.

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if you do go stainless, get the heaviest grade you can afford...well worth it! as for another thing in the sink? no thanks!

Posts: 8580 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post