Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  OT-explain Facebook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT-explain Facebook Sign In/Join 
posted
I do not participate in Facebook for any number of reasons but that does not stop me from being curious about some things and I can't seem to find the answers online. I am most interested in the use by commercial enterprises because what they do should make some kind of sense.

Why would a business have a Facebook page in addition to their website? I see nothing on Facebook that cannot be put on their own site. What is the advantage?

Why are businesses asking for "likes"? I see this on TV and other ads. I think I read if you "like" them they then can contact you. Is that the sole reason? It all sounds so juvenile and non-business that I must be missing something.

Thanks. I appreciate the education.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I joined FB to stay in touch with the kids and see grandkid photos that they post. It has also brought my high school graduating class together. It is easy to call a quick classmate dinner for "next Saturday night."

For a business...the way I understand it is that when they get a specific number of likes, they get a 'kickback' from advertisers on their page for the people who click on one of those ads. FB is immediately updated. Questions asked are quickly answered. With a regular webpage someone has to be looking for your business specifically or stumble across it when they do a search for that specific widget. With FB, businesses have an infinite number of possible future clients thanks to the first person who liked that page and suggested their friends like that page who suggest that their friends like that page......more and more people exposed to your product...more and more possible customers...

Anyway, that's what I've gathered from my stepson...

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I understand about the ads because I know how that works on a website or blog thing. So if they have two sites (website and Facebook) they have double the chance for revenue.

I don't understand the exposure. I have seen commercial Facebook pages because I search for an item or co.name. I would you search for a company only on Facebook. Don't you want the widest search possible.

Also a question about a person who likes the page telling others. Do they have groups,like some of those annoying email people who forward jokes, so they can annoy their friends with one company or another ? LOL.

And what is the incentive for someone to "like" a company? Do they get a gold star for so many likes or something? For insistence my local news program says like us on Facebook. Why would I bother?

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I agree with what Metwo says. I did belong to facebook and just took a leave of absence as I do not want to read other peoples (my "friends") pol it acal opinions, nor their re li gious opinions.

But as far as businesses go, it is a simple free(?) way to attract more customers. Wouldn't you rather shop at a store or business you hear positive things about rather than nothing about?

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess, thank you LOS but I am not sure what you are agreeing with.

So, would someone look up a business on Facebook just to see how many likes they have?

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
If you "Like" a page then their page will show up on your page and you'll receive notifications. For instance, say you "Like" a specialty food store, you'll see sales or recipe ideas, things of that nature. If you "Like" a certain Politician you'll get notifications as to meetings or just people posting on like subjects. I like it to keep up with personal friends, photos, family and things like that. And it can be be informative as to what is going on in the world.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
metwo
There is a way to take your friends out of your feed without unfriending them. I too dislike poli-tical opinions (all of them) and those cutesie silly things that go round and round and round. And let's not forget "If you --------, you will forward this."

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I am starting to understand the business end. At least a little bit. Thanks all.

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Good questions, and something I would like to understand better too.

I will probably be the last person to join facebook. Smile I already spend too much time on the computer, and political and "other" opinions, jokes, and "liking" are just wasting time to me. I sure hope I never have to keep in touch with my grandchildren that way, but I've heard of many who do.

Posts: 3627 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I am on FB and have a grand total of 63 "friends" of those, 37 are related by blood or marriage. I NEVER ever "Like" any kind of business or commercial venture.

I get rid of 99% or the polit iks and relig. I use FB to keep up with distant family and friends.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have family, friends, classmates, quilters, people who grew up here - as friends. I never friend "friends of friends." There are some people who ask to 'friend' me that I just delete the request. Every so often, I scroll down the friends list and delete one here and there.

For local people, since we have a once a week newspaper, FB definitely helps get the word out when someone is seriously ill or has passed away.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy Facebook. I have a personal page as well as a business page.

As far as my personal page, it is just that. I don't want to friend my customers. I don't friend just anyone on my personal page. If I do not know you then I do not want you as a friend. That said, I have FB friends who are family, old school friends, and Internet friends. But to be my FB friend, I must know you and desire to be in contact with you.

Business page.

I have a very small home business. I make kids custom boutique clothes. I have two outlets. A children's shop in another state , and a booth here locally in a craft and antique mall. My advertising budget is zero.

It is free to create and maintain a FB business page. You do not have friends on these pages like with your personal page, you have likes. The more likes that you have the more people that will see your page updates. FB only lets approx. 1/4 of your fans see each post you make. So if I take some new outfits in to my booth, or send them to the boutique , and I put a picture of them on my business page, only about a fourth of my fans will see that. This is why a business will want as many likes as they can get.

For a small business like myself, these FB pages are so very important to the growth of the business and helping new customers to find us. I like to encourage my customers to like my page a nd share my photos. I will have a drawing a couple times a year that will help this. I post a really cute dress or outfit. I tell my fans that for each new like and share, their name will be put in a drawing for the dress, made in their size, with free shipping if they are not local to me. I get a notification from FB each time this happens so I keep up with the names and enter them in the drawing. This is a really good way to get new customers, free publicity. All it cost me is a dress, and maybe some postage.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Becky. That helps a lot. Would a large company have to hire a person full time just to handle Facebook?

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Actually, I started seeing commercials on TV this weekend. A company was advertising that they create and maintain your business FB page .

LOL mine is so small I can take car of it just fine!

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Metwo, businesses like a local tv station post updates on their FB page. For instance out local TV stations have been posting local school closings all afternoon as they are updated. We're expecting sleet and snow the next couple of days and that is something we rarely get here.