Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning cloths, buy or ????????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning cloths, buy or ???????? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
In the old days, we had a large 'rag bag' and went to it for an appropriate rag for the job. Do you save old sox, towels, etc... for such purposes or do you buy swiffers, etc.

It is hard for me to pay $8 for a box of swiffer dusters...I've tried the generics, but they were pretty bad/ineffective.

I diddddd however, recently buy a roll of (actually t-shirt ends) because I just moved and really needed a lot of good, clean rags. It was either Lowes or H.epot for $3. I plan to wash them w/rugs and reuse, but I now thinking they'll just roll up in a tube...ack.

Posts: 2775 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Microfiber here.
Sam's Club sells large ones, automotive area, packages of different colors for different uses, about 50 cents each. They wash well, but if they get really nasty, cheap enough to toss out.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I have stacks of rags. I rip up old towels for wet jobs, like floors or any washing project.

I use old t=shirts for dusting (usually DH's old undershirts) a/c white.

I do sometimes buy cleaning clothes as I dust with a rather large flat headed implement and I need just the right size to pin over it. I do that rather than use the dusting cover that comes with it, so I don't have to wash that each time. I pin the cloth over the dusting thing.

this is larger than a swiffer but does the same thing only faster.

Posts: 12148 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Old t-shirts, towels, washcloths, etc.

When husband finally gives me a stack of his old t-shirts, I cut them up for shop rags for him.

I generally use old towels, etc. around the house. A washcloth is perfect for my floor Swiffer on my wood floor - after one use, I take it outside to shake the dust bunnies, threads, etc. off then throw it in the wash.

A long while back I purchased quite a few of the Swiffer duster refills on sale, but am on my last one. I am thinking about making something to slip on the prongs...

Growing up, we used old white socks to dust with. One on each hand. Great for dusting knick-knacks, picture frames, etc. You held stuff with one hand and dusted stuff with the "clean" sock. The other socked hand you used for furniture oil. Worked pretty good.

I'm one of the only few who does not like microfiber. It's polyester and snags hands and just about everything else. It does not wipe over glass, it rolls over glass.

Posts: 16486 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ilvmicki2
posted Hide Post
I bought about 50 white shop towels at Sam's 6 yrs ago and use them a lot. Just bought a new pack of them because kids/hubby had destroyed some. I just wash them with bleach instead of using paper towels. Kids know that paper towels are only for cooking bacon in microwave or wiping out my cast iron. I don't buy very many paper towels now.

Kitchen hand towels are only for drying hands. The Sam's rags/towels are for dusting, cleaning, etc.

Posts: 935 | Location: kcmo | Registered: Feb 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I also can not use microfiber anything. They HURT!!

I use old towels for most things, since DH doesn't wear t shirts. I bought a package of "flour sack" kitchen towels from wm years ago and have used them to shreds. I even have a couple of 30 year old cloth diapers.

I DO use paper towels for some things, and that is one of the few items I splurge on. I buy Viva paper towels, on sale and ration them, but they are the best.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1509 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I have never bought cleaning cloths. I use old rags and wash a load when I get enough. They are mainly towels, wash cloths, and t-shirts.

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I use rags. I've tried micro fiber...they stick to everything including themselves...not for me! I gave them to DH to use for shop rags & he told me NOT to buy any more of those "things"!
I also buy big bags of shop rags & use them for all kinds of cleaning.
And my used paper towels go into my compost unless they have grease or dairy on them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" is something that has stayed in my mind for many years = words of wisdom from my mother who grew up during the Depression. And I have followed them although I have bought Swiffers and such - apples to oranges in my mind.

Bottom line, I re-use all pieces of fabric for cleaning until they are no longer usable but I'm not against using new inventions either! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Like IR and others - I reuse old towel, etc until they are thread bare. I don't use a lot of paper towels because I have quite a stack of kitchen towels. The linen ones are wonderful on windows and the terry cloths are great for scrubbing cabinets etc.

Back when I had someone to come in and clean a couple of times a month she used old towels on the Swifter for mopping. Worked very well for her. I'm another who has issues with the price of Swifter refills. I just used my last one recently and I'm debating about getting more.

One other - I keep a few old sheets around for drop cloths.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
OLD SHEET! YES! They are used for drop cloths, to cover plants in case of frost, to cover bedding plants when I spray Roundup...multitude of uses.

Last fall we had an early frost. Husband helped me wrap my potted plants on the screen room because I was not ready to bring them in the house. He recognized some of the sheets as his old sheets..."Aren't these sheets still good?"
"Yes."
I got 'the look.'
"They don't fit any bed we have!" as I continued to clothes pin them to the baker's rack some of my plants are on. Smile

Posts: 16486 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We use old tee shirts, towels, whatever. I do have a few microfibers and use them to dust electronics.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6212 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
No,I just buy stuff. My grandma used to do that though.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I too save old "rags" such as cotton Ts, old towels/washcloths, socks, sheets, etc.. for many projects, but I also buy Swiffer refills for quick dusting esp. in tight or hard to reach areas. I have a dust mop that has slots in it's head and I insert inexpensive micro fiber cloths for quick dusting of floors. It's a mop I bought long ago in an allergy product catalog because my then young DS was asthmatic. I love the micro cloths for this purpose and they're durable and easy to wash and reuse.

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear y'all use rags, too. I was in doc office recently and a young woman was talking about all the sox she throws away...I boldly asked why didn't she use them for rags...she didn't answer and looked at me like I was insane. Wink

Posts: 2775 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
When DS and DH wore cotton athletic socks, I did use them often for throw away rags. Old white cotton t-shirts still get saved and cut up for restoration work and varnish removal.

Now we both only buy 70 percent wool socks (different weights/colors for year round) and they last for a VERY long time, amazing, but cost more initially. I found the worn out acrylic/nylon blend socks were pretty worthless for most any use.

Just a few old terry towels get saved, most go to the local animal shelter or our vet's office as they are always in need. I am glad to free up linen space in the closet.
(I never want to end up being like DM and save all those GOOD towels and only use the worn out ones)Wink

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I cut up old towels for cleaning rags. When I run out of rags, it seems like there is always a towel that has seen better days, and needs to become rags.

I really don't like to spend money on things like swiffer refills, or paper towels, or other special cleaning gizmos. I'm too cheap! I'd rather clean with rags and spend on something more fun!

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post