Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hair Coloring Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
How long do you usually keep hair coloring on? It says to keep it on for 25 or 30 minutes, I always keep it on longer (because my mother always did). I think I should follow their directions this time. I always thought it would cover 'stubborn gray hairs' better if I kept it on longer. How long do you keep hair coloring on for and does it come out good? Thanks!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
When doing a touch up I do 35 min on the roots then comb through to ends for another 8-10 minutes.

Posts: 297 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I quit coloring/frosting mine years ago. I've EARNED EVERY ONE of these gray hairs...so I'm going to show them off! Big Grin

But I followed the instructions on the package since so many products have changed a LOT over the years.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have an area that's a different texture from the rest of my hair (finer), and it's snow white rather than salt/pepper like the rest. The color there fails much faster than the rest. I asked my hair cutter if there's anything to make it last longer. She said to apply the color, cover it with plastic wrap or a disposable shower cap, and apply the heat of a hair dryer to it. It works.

So... I apply the color to the roots; let it set for 10 minutes; apply out to the ends; let it all set another 20 minutes. Any longer than that and I end up with a color that's a harsher than I like.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I get professional coloring and developer from "Sally's" and mix my own, (depending on the amount needed for roots). Stubborn gray can need 40-45 minutes. I agree to read directions for initial timing and tweak as needed per your experience.
I do use a timer, as I just don't do well watching a clock.
And always best to use a color safe shampoo that will not strip color or wash it away.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
My hair has been completely white since I was 44. I have never once dyed it.

Never perm it either and I don't blow dry it either, but the beautician who cuts it does!

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
There is coloring additive that you can buy at Sally's. It is for coloring grey hair or roots. You only need to add a drop or two to your color mixture that you usually buy.It doesn't keep long so you need to buy a new bottle every few months. It is a very small plastic vial type container. I also leave it on the roots for 45 minutes and before I color I put a protein on the ends and I only leave the color on for 5-10 min. This protein is also for sale at sally's.

html

Posts: 2526 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
You don't mention what color your hair is and what color you are using. I am a former hairdresser and my hair is blonde with grey. I also go to Sally's and buy my Clariol color (I use a HL (high lift) and I use 40 vol perioxide instead of a 20 vol. I have baby fine hair and need the texture the coloring gives my hair.

Dark hair w/grey is usually harder to color and obviously shows regrowth really fast therefore tend to color more often. Just make sure to get hair cuts to trim the ends as they do get over processed from repeated colorings and get dry and fuzzy.

You have to remember that when coloring the roots of your hair this is virgin hair(uncolored or treated) and takes longer to process which is why you try not to overlap where roots end and colored hair starts. You just want to comb through to ends for the last 10 minutes to blend the colors.

Most hair coloring (and perms) are made to work within a certain amount of time, usually abt 45 minues. The longer you leave it on does not mean you will get better color just more hair damage (drying).

I hope this helps.

Posts: 297 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Another tip to colored hair is to always have a heavy duty conditioner to use on hair after coloring and wait at least two days to washing of hair after coloring. Also be sure to use color safe shampoo or you will strip the color a bit with each shampoo. If you color your own hair and have your hair cut only at shops make sure to tell the hairdresser to only use color safe shampoo too.

html

Posts: 2526 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I have brown hair naturally and started coloring it a few yrs ago (okay, maybe 10+) Wink when the grays became too many to just 'pull out' anymore. I color it medium brown usually (or ash brown, etc.) I tend to leave it on long because my mother always did. I remember her telling me she left it on 'an hour', so I usually did that. Last time I colored my hair, I used dark brown (cause it always oxidizes and turns much lighter) and it came out this disgusting 'shoe polish black'. I hated it!!! My hair is disgusting now, so frizzy & dry.... so I think it absorbs hair coloring faster. (I just read this on line yesterday!!).
I was wondering if I should just follow the box directions and keep it on only '30-35 minutes' this time. I have to color my hair today or tomorrow! THANKS!!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
If you need to color leave it on roots for 35 min comb thru to ends leave on for another 5 min. Be careful of using conditioner. The more you color your hair the more porous it becomes and soaks up anything like a sponge and will really soak up conditioner and make your hair heavy and limp. Use conditioner on ends after thoroughly rinsing color or shampoo. Using a color shampoo is a good idea - it helps some.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
When I had my hair colored by the stylist some of them had the hardest time understanding I did not want my hair dark around my face. I think there is nothing that will age a person in my age group faster than dark hair.

Now I lighten it and if the gray around my face doesn't take the color, that is fine with me.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Waverider, coloring the hair results in a darker shade if hair grabs the color. Most hair will grab the color. I always use two shades lighter than what it is I want. I like a light brown/blond. When I use med blonde it is okay if my hair color has sun lightened. I use med blonde for one dye and the next I use light blonde. By using a different color each time it keeps the color lighter. My hair is very curly so I do use a lot of conditioner.

html

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Waverider, go to a beauty supply store. There is something called color fix that will repair the boo boo's. Talk to the salesgirl as to what you need to do next. perhaps just a wash in for a few weeks to let hair repair set in. I know there is a trick with hair bleach, (peroxide) added to shampoo to strip or lessen too much color. Maybe someone here knows the trick on amounts added. It may double shampoo to single bleach.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flboy,

html

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flboy:
Waverider, coloring the hair results in a darker shade if hair grabs the color. Most hair will grab the color. I always use two shades lighter than what it is I want. I like a light brown/blond. When I use med blonde it is okay if my hair color has sun lightened. I use med blonde for one dye and the next I use light blonde. By using a different color each time it keeps the color lighter. My hair is very curly so I do use a lot of conditioner.

Thanks! I just colored my hair yesterday. This time I followed the directions exactly and left it on for about 25 min. It came out a little better, but still too dark, of course. I hope it gets lighter in the sun the next few weeks, and with using a regular shampoo. I wish I looked good in dark blond hair!!! I used to color my hair a copper brown and it always got lighter (redder) a month or two later. Occasionally I would color it and it came out 'too dark'. I would tell people it came out 'too dark by accident' and many said they liked it dark better. So while I have fair skin and green eyes, I don't look good in red or blonde hair. Not to worry, I will never be one of those ladies with short white hair. If my hair goes completely gray (or white?) I will definitely GO BLONDE!!!!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Wave, find the color that looks good and drop down one shade lighter from that color because whatever the swatch is, it is always darker. The grey hair additive that I add is in a very small grey box and it just to get grey to color better. That one drop additive does add red tint to the outcome.

html

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Flboy... Thanks for sharing your hair color knowledge with the rest of us. Helps take the mystery out of it for us amateurs.

Question... Is it risky to combine two shades of the same basic color in order to get a half shade lighter or darker? I think I remember reading years ago that the chemicals might not be compatible, even in shades close to each other, and that the incompatibility might produce a totally unexpected and unwanted tint.

Sometimes I think I'd like a shade in between the 6RB and 8RB, you know?

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:
Flboy... Thanks for sharing your hair color knowledge with the rest of us. Helps take the mystery out of it for us amateurs.

Yes, thank you very much, I learned a lot! I didn't know my hair was that 'porous' but it must be if it comes out so dark, and it's so dry. That is a good suggestion to find a shade 1 or 2 shades lighter than your preferred shade. I will go back to Light Ash Brown. (a nice chestnut color on me!) Thanks again!!!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay, I always did mix two colors one half oz. of each and one oz. of peroxide. It should always be the same brand though. If you are coloring the roots every three weeks the leftover in each bottle can be used with in that time frame. Any longer time period may have the color turn red. Never mix all color at once. you only need 2 ounces for touch ups (roots.) That would be one ounce of each. Only go to a half ounce if using two colors. I do use Sally's because of the savings. I never pull it through to the ends unless it has become brassy or I have gone at least six weeks to color. so every 5-6 weeks pull to ends of hair, less damage to hair that way. I love sharing what I learned because of bad perms and color jobs by pros. Another tip never perm and color hair. That is bad news for your hair.

html

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
flboy, I have to disagree with your proportions. The peroxide should be double the amount of the coloring. If you use 1 ounce of coloring, you should use 2 ounces of peroxide, 1/2 ounce of coloring should have 1 ounce of peroxide. This is on the bottle of color.

Also, so long as the coloring is NOT mixed with peroxide and kept sealed in a cool, dark place (hence the bottle coloring is usually dark) it will hold up indefinitely.

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot. If you are having trouble with the red look for a color that has a green base.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Bee... I'm sorry I neglected to say thanks to you for sharing, too!

I'll have to visit a Sally's to see what they have. The price of my L'Oreal is getting a little steep.

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Recently I have found the sales people at Sally's very helpful and more knowledgeable, especially on new products.
Good luck!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My experience is Different brands use different proportions. I recently tried some Argon color from Sally's and it said double the amount of developer to one part color. The lady working there made sure to mention the different proportion.
Clarol and others usually tended to be equal amounts. Best to read directions or ask the gals who work there. They give great advice on shampoos and other hair products too.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
as Conrad said some peroxide is higher volume so the amount used 1 oz. or 2 oz. would differ and you must either ask the salesgirl or read all directions well. As to the color that isn't mixed ( I thought I said to only mix amount to be used)I have had some brands turn. Better to be safe than sorry.

html

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Some natural hair also tends to just pull red, during the coloring process. My ash blond used to tend to do so, thus I always chose to avoid any golden blond colors, and stuck with more muted shades of ash.

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I had been a hairdresser for over 30 yrs. The hair coloring proportions have always been two parts peroxide to one part color. The 40% vol. peroxide is still used 2 to 1 but is used for high lift colors like light to platinum blondes, certain reds, and resistant hair (grey). I'm not talking about buying a hair coloring kit but just the 2 oz bottle of color and peroxide (developer). Ash color has green in it to cut the red. Green + red = brown. Most blondes have a lot of red and if not colored properly end up reddish or orange. Not all hairdressers are colorists. They need to have been trained in color by attending continuing education classes via Clairol or any other hair color manufacturer. Most hair coloring has pretty much stayed the same....what has changed is the application. Chunks, ombre, tipping, etc.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Both the Clarol and Ion coloring that I have used state right on the package, 1 to 1 mixing.
The Argon color was the only one I recently used that was 1 part color, 2 parts developer.

"High lift/really light color" on the Clarol was 1 part color to 2 parts 40 developer for streaking in highlights. I remembered, but the gal at Sally's reminded me of that last time I bought some.

And there has never been an issue returning things that don't work for you at Sally's. Several times I bought shampoo, setting gel or conditioner that just was not worthy. Opened, used for a week, and returned with receipt for a full credit/refund. They are good about that.

By purchasing the color and developer separately, one can save a lot of money over the package mixes. I mix 2-3 different/but close colors when I do it, and only mix enough to deal with roots. A couple of times a year I mix enough to do entire coloring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
beedee, I yield the posts to you. I am just somebody who hates grey hair and have been coloring my hair for many years. I have made many mistakes over the years but so have some of my hairdressers. It is just one of those things that happens. I would suggest that everyone ask the salesgirl on the brand they choose.

html

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Hair dressers make coloring mistakes all the time because they are not hair colorists. A lot of them learn as they go along and this is not usually good for the customer. There are stylists that are hair colorists....they take classes in coloring, they know how color is going to act on certain types of hair and know what products to use and how to use them. This is their specialty. They also keep notes on customers so that they know what they used on your hair and what worked best for you so that they are consistent in their coloring.

They are also the ones that make the big **$ when your hairdresser (or home colorist) screws up.

I made $200 one night fixing a bride's bad home dye job the night before her wedding. She came into the shop crying just before closing time. We were there until after midnight but we got her hair color back to what she had intended.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My hair color is really important to me, and so I use a colorist and I think she is worth every penny I pay her.

Posts: 7246 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
beedees, I have loved your comments. I also had to laugh when I read your term "home colorist" since many have done this. Someone told me that my 'orange' hair came from the heat of my head. I was convinced that that had something to do with it. Once, I even tried coloring my hair in a very cold room trying to keep the orange at bay. As a child, I was a blond, as I aged I was a brunette with copper highlights. Now, I fight the gray. Thank you for the insight of the orange.

Lately, I've given up on fighting the gray to allow my hair to have a chance to rest from the processes. I asked my hub when do women give up the need to color their hair. He said his mother stopped when she retired. She has the most beautiful white hair. My mother, who has never colored her hair, was a salt and pepper for the longest time. She's just now losing most of the pepper.

I'm at the age, when I'd holler up the country road to our neighbor as a kid, "Hey, Betty, you colored your hair, you really colored your hair!" I was quite a knucklehead as she would tell others. You might say, I have a heart of understanding to the child who will say what they think to the chagrin of their parents. Smile

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading all this I am so very glad I do not color my hair. Smile

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post