Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  how do you clean your outdoor cushions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how do you clean your outdoor cushions? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
My outdoor cushions need a good cleaning. They just have "outdoor" fabric on them so nothing that has to be dry cleaned. (heaven forbid) Smile
How do y'all clean yours?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Well, mine also have outdoor fabric, but not a super heavy one or a totally waterproof one...so, I hang them on my clothes line, spray with some type of cleaner and then hit them with the hose. They also get to hang there until they are dry! And I get cat hair on mine, that's the main reason for going to the clothes line.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4836 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
lol we've had so much rain doubt I could do much more to the outside fabric! plus it the storage that we're very careful with...found these huge yellow bags eons ago...we seal them so critters can't get in...and the shed had mothballs everywhere!

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Oh, I never thought to look and see if mine have a zipper so I can take them off. But I'm thinkin they don't.
I try to put them in the storage container if I know it's going to rain. It's mostly dust on them. They feel gritty/ grimy when I take them out and put back down on the chairs. Frown
I s'pose I could bring them in and wash and rinse the soap out of them in my walk-in shower. Hmmm, but what would I use for soap that would come out quickly??? Maybe just rinsing them might be enough.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Nance, if they're just dusty, do like our foremothers did and beat them with a broom. That will remove a lot of the accumulated dust. Or take the vacuum to them. Even a shop vac if that's what you've got handy.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I would probably scrub them with a brush and some kind of cleanser. Whatever you like for heavy duty cleaning. Then hose them off and let them dry in the sun.

You want to do an adequate job, not just a hit or miss.

Posts: 12597 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Same as LoS.
I mix up a bucket of water with cleaner...generally Lysol. Scrub with a brush. Hose off and let dry in the sun.

Posts: 17047 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello nance425,

While cleaning the deck with the power washer my fiancé will just blast the outdoor cushions also. The power washer works really well to scare off all the dirt and dust. Then you just have to let it sit in the sun and dry. It's the easiest solution I have found with the littlest amount of work and time.

Hope this helps,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
sorry i haven't gotten back to you all. Thank you so much for your tips. Getting after them tomorrow, and then on to the deck. I guess we'll use the power washer on the deck.

I'm not sure I want to use the power washer on the cushions. It's outdoor fabric, thinner than sunbrella. I wouldn't want to tear the fabric. ???

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Do you have a power washer with adjustable force/psi, just turn it down lower? Or a broader spray tip, for not as much direct force? Also just keep the tip (back a few feet) away from the cushions reduces the pressure for damage potential.

Best if you have the cushions leaning against a deck rail or water safe wall, rather than you or someone else trying to hold them also.

Posts: 9613 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
ok i"ll try that conrad. thx so much.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the power washer, if you are not familiar with it's use.

The electric ones tend to not have that much power, compared to many of the gasoline models. But err on the side of caution when first using it on any surface. Getting too close with too much pressure and the wrong (concentrating) tip can lead to tearing up wood on the deck, as well as other surfaces you are trying to clean.

Posts: 9613 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
thanks again, Conrad.
Hubby will be doing the deck and I'll be giving him the cushions as well with your tips. It's gonna be 90 this weekend so a good time to do them.

posted Hide Post
Chiming in here a little late as I have to admit that I haven't been on top of cleaning the outdoor furniture cushions as I probably should have been doing so dh took it upon himself to do it last weekend. How?

Well, using a typical male brain Big Grin, he simply did the obvious = filled the deep kitchen and utility room sinks with warm water plus a squirt of Arm & Hammer laundry soap, submerged the cushions and "squished" them over and over;
rinsed several times in clear sink water in the same sinks and then hung out to dry in the warm air we have been having for over a week so the process went quickly.

Have to say that his home remedy worked great and the cushions look like new... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wow, IR - what a guy you have there.

Since we don't have a large enuf sink, we do have a walk in shower. I could probably do them there and squish them with my feet. Smile

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan, nance! Seriously, I think the shower would work even better than the sinks and it would be much easier using the feet to do the "squishing"! Give it a try and let us know how it works and, yes, I think my guy is one to keep even if he does come up with some unusual ideas.... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post