Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  How do you deodorize a dryer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you deodorize a dryer? Sign In/Join 
posted
My dryer has a horrible smell--how do I get rid of the smell?

HELP--it smells like cheese !

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did it get the smell, do you know? Did you buy the dryer new? I am wondering if you soaked a towel in vinegar and then dried it, if it would help. Grasping at straws.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a really BAD feeling it might be a mouse nest (of babies) that is in there. This happened once before but my hubby is going to
shop vacuum out the exhaust area to see what he can get out.

We live in the country and in my car-last year--the heater stunk when it was turned on and it was found that there were two nests of mice in the HEATER DUCTWORK (to keep warm) and that was the putrid smell--but luckily our insurance paid to have it fixed!

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It might be an easy fix if they had a nest in the vent pipe/hose somewhere? UNPLUG the dryer before doing any checking. (if you can pull the dryer out from the wall, check the vent after disconnecting it from the dryer)
If they got under the drum of the dryer, then you may need to take out some screws in order to remove the top or front of the dryer to reach that area.

Good luck!

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, mice! I never thought of that.

A number of years ago, when we turned on the heater fan to one of the cars, it would make this odd noise. It worked fine, just made some sort of pitching noise that it hadn't before. Took it into the dealer and it was a mouse nest in the heater fan or something like that. I was like, WHAT?

Oddly enough, all three cars ended up having mouse nests somewhere in the engine area over the years. So odd.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hubby took off the cover screen over the exhaust vent, and used biggest shop vac
on it. He said he didn't look at what he got just dumped it into trash can!

BUT he heard something go in and the smell is gone so I'd bet on mice nest! UGGHHH!! What a horrible smell! So glad it's gone. Thanks for your suggestions and we'll keep in mind the things we haven't tried for next time.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for shop vacs!Wink

(and your hubby)

There are some plastic screen boxes that fit over the outside dryer vent exhaust. (If that is where the mouse may have got into the vent?)

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
If you go with the plastic cover, I have one because my vent is 9 feet off the ground and the birds like to nest in it. Be sure to check it every few months and clean it or this happens.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean mine at least once a month and it is full of lint. I can't imagine going six months.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Some tie panty hose over outside vents.

It is possible to add an interior vent.
Check appliance stores.
I've used one since 1977.
Add water and more lint is trapped.
NO, the moisture does NOT affect metal and cause rust.
In fact, the heat in winter here is much appreciated.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post