Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  high efficiency, low water washer....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

high efficiency, low water washer.... Sign In/Join 
posted
wish i hadn't bought it now, it doesn't make sense to me that clothes get clean without a tub full of water. buyer's regret here. anyone else have one and what do you think?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jun 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
New water is added and removed during the wash/rinse cycles with HE machines. Instead of one full tub of wash, then drain, then another full tub of rinse. Often with the older, non HE machines the detergent residue was not rinsed out, and the clothes were rinsed in not so clean water, unless one did an extra rinse. Not all HE machines may be equal in their ability to clean, however, at least from what I hear on these boards.

I had one of the first front loading Neptunes, and then when that finally died, got LGs. No regrets here, would have nothing else. But that is only my experience, and may differ from others.

So do your clothes come out clean? They won't be as soaking wet, as the HE machines generally spin the water out better, for faster drying.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "don't like" group. I have a Maytag Neptune, but unlike Conrad I will never have another.

My old machine ran water intermittently during the final rinse and I was fully comfortable knowing that the laundry was clean. Not so with this washer. Half loads . Longest cycles. Detergent boosters.

While I do believe the washer is the biggest problem...these new detergents do not come close to getting rid of 'ring around the collar.' Notice that that term is no longer used in commercials? It's because detergent alone won't work.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I have Kenmore and have been very happy with it. Clothes are clean with little or no pretreatment. I am using free and clear detergent with color safe bleach.

Posts: 3475 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I also have a Kenmore and am perfectly happy with it.
I make my own laundry detergent & add back in the phosphate that has been taken out of all the commercial detergents. They only thing I add additional "grease cutters" to is DH's greasy jeans. I do pretreat some spots with shout gel and they always come out.
Since we are on well water and our only cost is the electric to run the well....I saw a MAJOR decrease in our power bill the first month I had my front loader. Not as much water usage means the well isn't pumping as hard or as much!

And using less water is good for our environment too! If the current droughts continue this summer, there may be some areas of the country that will run out of water!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5112 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High-efficiency washing machine are available in both front and top loading design. These washers has so many benefits like it pay less for water, it use less water than other machines, it also pays less for electricity, it is having high speed spin cycle that squeezes more water out of the cloths, it pay less for detergent, pay less for cleaning.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of judy j.
posted Hide Post
I just got a Maytag XL Bravos a few days ago and I don't like it so far.I use a HE liquid detergent and liquid Downy but my dark clothes come out with white spots all over them.I don't overload the machine so I don't know what the problem is.

Posts: 368 | Location: ky. | Registered: Dec 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
We have a GE HE top loading set that we love. Because of doggies, we do around 25 loads per week, many of them heavy runners for our doggies, doggie blankets, etc.

I wish they would have lasted longer. They are 10 years old, and had a couple of inexpensive repairs each.

We are thinking of just getting a new set, and will go with GE again.

We don't need or use a lot of bells and whistles. What we need is size. Our current is an older model, hence smaller--around 4.5 cu.ft.

Has anyone noticed how tiny the dryer openings are? Some are just about the size of my head! OK, slight exageration.

GE seems to have a nice LARGE opening in comparison with others.

Posts: 4616 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judy J. A suggestion....use less HE detergent and your dark clothes should come out better. I use about 1 tablespoon or less in my washer. No problem with dark clothes.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Judy J., what those streaks are is detergent already in the clothing that the rinses of the HE machines are finally removing. Bv the way, those streaks are in all your items; you just can't see them in lighter items.
As indicated, use less detergent; one tbsp. is all I ever use.
An idea is to run all colored clothes through a wash with NO detergent.
These machines rinse and rinse well.
They spin dry so well that drying time for all cycles is cut by 15 min.---for me.
As for water usage: standard cycle in an older machine uses 34-36 gal. of water. HE front load, same cycle, used 12-14 gal. Perm. presss uses 10-12 gal. compared to 30-34 in older machine. THAT is the high efficiency for which these machines have been made.
Give these newer machines, both front and top load, a chance!

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consumer Reports. After you've read the article, go down to Comments. Dissatisfaction with HE machines appears to be the norm.
https://homes.yahoo.com/news/5...dryer-200000367.html

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
And no doubt that dissatisfaction is from those reluctant to change.
I know a person who bought a new top load. Hot water not hot enough for her so she adds approx. 10 gal. of water she knows is hot enough. Now she's happy.
Apparently she hasn't thought through the part where the computer on board washes and rinses according to WEIGHT of load. She's just added approx. 16 lbs. to the load.
But she's happy.
Give HE a chance.
1) Less detergent and other additives.
2) Less water.
3) Less energy (electric or gas).
People, these are government regulations. You are not going to change this. These are here to stay. Adjust to the 21st century.

I am not nor have I ever been a Tide user but that mft. has put out a COLD water detergent.

Let's travel back to the days of clothing being rubbed and wapped on a rock at the creek side. NO detergent needed. NO hot water needed. Clothes were clean and soft. Worked then. That's what we back to doing: sloshing about in water. My clothing and towels and sheets, et al. do appear brighter. Why? Because detergent is rinsed out!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M-ma,

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-ma:
And no doubt that dissatisfaction is from those reluctant to change.

Wrong. That is from people like me who are actually having to take clothes to the kitchen sink to scrub spots and necks of shirt collars with Dawn dishwashing detergent and a brush because the washing machine that I wanted does not clean clothes. I have had it about eight years. I have always used less detergent than recommended even with the old top loader with an agitator because I knew it was unnecessary. I am now pretreating just about everything. Adding a color safe bleach to just about everything. AND I purchased some TSP to replace the phosphates taken out of the detergents. Many times I run an extra rinse to insure that all the detergent is out. I use vinegar in the rinse instead of fabric softener because that too is supposed to help with getting detergent out in the rinse. I have never had detergent streaks on my dark colored laundry. As I've mentioned before there is not one single detergent out there that can legally advertise that their detergent gets out that dreaded 'ring around the collar.'

M-Ma, you like your washing machine. I am glad it does a satisfactory job for you.

Mine and many others of us consider what we own a piece of expensive junk. I have the Maytag Neptune and will not have another.

My mother died in 2010. She still had sheets that she used on my bed when I was still living at home nearly 45 years ago and the white sheets are still white...using the old style machine.

Picture of judy j.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice May and M-am.After reading what you had to say I tried a different approach.I used have the amount of detergent and hot water with a cold rinse.No white spots.I do have some clothing I wouldn't use hot water on so I'll have to see how that works out.

Posts: 368 | Location: ky. | Registered: Dec 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Good for you.
It takes time to learn how to use these machines. Much depends upon your local water (soft or hard), additives; what mft. you have.
Be patient. Use that manual and learn to check what cycle for what items.
By the way, does your machine have Heavy or Soak cycles?
I had the same issue with the white streaks. I used less softener. Still streaks. I finally realized it was old detergent. No more streaks after a few washes. Recently I reported about a man I know (62) who mentioned having those streaks. His is an old washer. It isn't the machine; it's the rinsing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M-ma,

posted Hide Post
I've had one of these washers for around ten years and am often amazed that stains I thought were in for life disappear. If the tub is really full, and I try to use it that way, I use choose the heavy soil cycle to give longer time in the wash cycle.

I read on another forum that greasy looking white streaks and spots are caused by too much detergent. A repairman who was here repairing something else told me to use about half what the detergent company suggests in our medium-hardness water.

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I've learned over the years, Fog. I reduced softener. Then detergent. No more streaks.
Items do appear cleaner because the detergent residue is finally removed.