Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Tabletop Washer and Dryer--UPDATE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tabletop Washer and Dryer--UPDATE Sign In/Join 
posted
Ok, so the utility bills here are way more expensive than what I can tolerate. Tonight I ordered one of those hand cranked tabletop washers and a spin dryer. I am just so excited about them, goodness knows why.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with them? The washer is the Wonderwash, I think, and the dryer is the white and blue one, I can't think of the name right now.

(I know this part is unrelated but I can't get to the boards now using AOL or Mozilla. Had to use Chrome tonight.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charcoalsmom,

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I never heard of these and will have to google them.

Is laundry a big part of your electricity? What about refrig, t.v. computer, stove etc.?

Our highest (other than heat& cable) utility is our water/sewer bill. It is over $100 a month and I can't think how to lower it . . . there are only two of us. I get annoyed when DH runs the dw half empty.

Posts: 13092 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'd rather pay the dollars than to spend my time handcranking a tabletop washer and dryer. You must have more time than I do and a better shoulder. Let us know in several months if you have really reduced your energy consumption. Are you planning on doing this for all your laundry? Good luck.

Posts: 3163 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard that any appliance that uses heat is expensive to operate....dryer, oven, dishwasher (heated cycle), hot water heater, hair dryer etc. I also try always to wash full loads of dishes (don't use heated dry), full loads of clothes (in my FL) on cold wash, dry heavy things (rugs/spreads) outside. Some people unplug all of their "red light" things.. TV, computer, stereo, etc. We do not. I have not heard of the countertop washer and dryer but have heard of the countertop dishwasher. Let us know how it works. Yes, our sewer/water bills go higher every year but the sewer is a set price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
It's not but 11.8" diameter and 18.5" tall. Will it even hold a shirt? The one I looked at online is electric...

Oh..here it is:
http://www.compactappliance.co...SPIN/WONDERSPIN.html

What size jeans is "two pairs of jeans"??? Children's 2T? There's no way that would hold two pairs of MY jeans.

I sincerely hope you haven't wasted your money.

I am not giving up my washing machine...I'd rather toss the television. But if I did...or had to due to the apocalypse...I would take my mother's old washboard off the laundry room wall and use it in the sink.

Posts: 17385 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am looking forward to using them. I read a number of reviews and watched youtube videos on them. Since my children are still relatively small, I should be able to wash a couple of days worth of their clothes without turning on the big washer and dryer.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 17385 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
An easier way to save money would be to dry laundry on a clothes line or on drying racks. It has the added benefit that the clothing lasts longer and there's less ironing.

If you go with drying racks don't get the wooden ones from WalMart or Target. They are so fragile they break if you look at them wrong. I learned that the hard way. The white metal ones from Target are ok. But the chrome racks from Bed Bath and Beyond are the best.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: trying racks. I have wooden ones (of different designs) and they have held up for many years but I'm sure I did not buy them new.

A clothes line is a good drying place and can be s strung most anywhere. I once strung one on the QM2 on a balcony in the Mediterranean!

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60s, a friend had some kind of a porta-washer that her DH would set into the bathtub of their apt. and she used it for baby diapers. Few people had disposable diapers then as they were 'weak'.

Hope yours works out for you '

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so the little washer and spinner dryer arrived this past Friday and thought I'd give you an update.

Both are simply fantastic! The handle on the washer isn't difficult to turn as I had previously read. It does hold a fair amount of smaller items like 3 children's outfits without any problem at all. It handled one complete outfit of mine which included a lightweight quilted jacket.

The washer holds more clothes than the spin dryer so on the "large" load of my clothes, I had to use the spinner twice. In 2 minutes, all of the sopping wet clothes are drier than when they come out of my front loader. I think the spinner has up to 5 minutes for a timer, maybe a few minutes more, but 2 minutes seems about perfect. I have a drying rack so I just put the clothes on the drying rack to finish up drying.

It's totally convenient to do small loads and this is exactly what I wanted it for. I did a load of whites for the kids with a little borax and everything came out sparkling white in less than 5 minutes. After two kid Halloween parties yesterday, I washed their Halloween outfits so they are all ready to go for Thursday. I would have hesitated washing the peacock outfit in the regular washer but the little washer and spinner was just fine.

I cannot imagine doing towels or sheets in the little machine though it is supposedly possible. I will use the large front loader for those, of course, as well as the large loads of laundry that dh seems to produce. But for every day little things, that little washer and spinner are just terrific. I don't have to wait for days to get enough dirty laundry to fill the large washer and dryer and it's easier on me doing smaller loads in the little machine than it is with the large machine. I am happy about conserving energy and hopefully, money on the bills this way, too.

All in all, I am extremely pleased.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
So glad you like it. Since you can do small loads with the kids clothes you can probably get by with less outfits. They outgrow them so fast that would be a real savings.

Posts: 7296 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will be able to use fewer outfits. My friend years ago had a washer/dryer combo and three kids. She dressed them alike and at night put their outfits in the washer/dryer and put them on the kids again in the morning!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
our gas bill in the summer goes way down, and have a gas dryer...but watch it rise in the winter and freezing temps...(gas fired boiler with baseboard heat)

don't use lights during the day at all...

Posts: 8588 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post