Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  How to clean small carpet rugs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean small carpet rugs Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
The 31" x 53" carpets in my kitchen need cleaning. I've been using Spot Shot to clean spots as they appear, but it is time to somehow clean the entire carpet.

I don't own a carpet cleaner and I'd rather not have to get down on my knees to clean the entire carpet by hand. Any suggestions?

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have taken area rugs to my local carpet store (they are also bar none, the BEST steam cleaning company in our city).
If you have a steam cleaning co that you like or have recommendations on, they can usually clean them in their warehouse. If you deliver and pick up, it is often very reasonable and stating dimensions over the phone, they can often quote you a price beforehand.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Are they machine washable? My rugs are the same size and have a rubber backing. I wash them on gentle and line dry. I have never had a problem with them. You might want to consider replacing them if they are not washable and you do not want to pay to get them cleaned.Kitchen rugs are likely to get dirty fast....at least mine do since they are in front of the sink and stove.

I wash my large braided rugs and oriental hall runners outside, by hand, on a nice day. Someone on this board had said that they do this!

I set up saw horses and drape one rug at a time over them. I use a gentle scrub brush dipped in soapy water (with white vinegar). I then hose the soapy water off and let them air dry. It works just great.

I do not like to have things that cannot be cleaned easily.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I clean small rugs like this by laying them on our hammock and using the window washing attachment from Windex. I fill the bottle with whatever (dawn soap etc.) soap the rug, then scrub if necessary, then rinse thoroughly with hose, flipping rug if necessary.

Have to pick a spell of nice weather as it may take a day or two for rug to dry.

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
They are not washable. The back is stiff, maybe jute? I checked online and found the following solution, which I may try. I didn't know carpet dealers would clean rugs, but the thought did occur to me that it might be cheaper to just go out and buy new ones. I got my rugs at K-Mart and I'm sure I didn't pay more than $30 apiece. The thing is, I happen to like the pattern/colors on these rugs and they are still in good condition. But, come to think of it, they could be over five years old (yikes, time flies).

This was Haley's tip (cuprackTV):

1/2 t. household ammonia
1 t white vinegar
3 T liquid dish soap.

He said to mix in well-ventilated room and decant into a clean foam-making container (I didn't know these could be purchased empty.) He said to spray just the foam onto the carpet and wipe with a clean sponge. Sounds like it might be worth a try.

My SIL does DD's carpets very often--they have a carpet cleaner similar to those you can rent from hardware/grocery stores. I just don't want to have to ask him. He's got enough of his own stuff to do (that man is NEVER idle!)

Happy New Year everyone!

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Since you like the carpets but they are dirty, I would still try to wash them before buying new ones.

I used to take mine to the dry cleaners but I now wash them. Yes!!! I mix ammonia, white vinegar, and a drop or two of detergent. As LOS said...pick a nice day, take them outside, and wash them by hand.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Well, if our 60-degree weather holds up, I may get them done sooner than I expect! Smile

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Haha.....it is supposed to be a high of 12 degrees on Friday!

Enjoy that nice weather!

posted Hide Post
Using vacuum is the common way for cleaning. Regular vacuuming is a good idea so that dirt does not set into the fibers of the carpet. You can use a good carpet stain cleaner to remove dirt and stains from your carpet. Vinegar, lemon extracts are few home-made solutions forremoving stains.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Can you use a good quality foam carpet spray foam like Woolite? Go by their directions and it should work cause your rugs sound like mini carpets Wink Of course, try a hidden area or corner...

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best way to clean a rug is to give extra care, by removing shoes outdoor to home, use of best quality vacuum is also useful to clean the rug, you have to vacuum well to both sides of carpet.If the pile little stuff when dry then vacuum it lightly.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post