Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Space Bag Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Space Bag Question Sign In/Join 
posted
Am thinking of using Space Bags for storing some of my comforters - just wondering what kind you could suggest I use - and - if you think they're a good idea.

Posts: 62 | Location: Williamstown, NJ - USA | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I use Space Bags and love them for things that are big and fluffy, meaning they have air loft.

If the comforter is poofy, a lot of space can be saved. If it is dense, it will still compress a bit, just not as much.

Amazingly, the poofiness comes right back. I was awestruck.

We do not have multiple brands. Only the Space Bag brand.

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I had 3 quilts (all queen size)that I sent across the country with my DGD when she went out to see her Aunt and Uncle. I packed all three in space bags and and then packed them in a suit case and paid for her to take a extra bag on the Air Plane. That was the cheapes way to send them. It also gave my DD something to store the quilts in when they didn't need them.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3586 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both -- I'm on my way to the store to purchase.

Posts: 62 | Location: Williamstown, NJ - USA | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I'lady and Handie...
I checked the reviews at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for these bags. People either absolutely love or absolutely hate them. The ones who hate them say they reinflate almost immediately. Would you say they're doing something wrong to cause that?

I'm interested in storing lots of odd comforters and blankets that I don't use but am not ready to get rid of yet. But I also don't want to waste my money. Although, I guess they'd be returnable if I weren't happy.

Posts: 4624 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any luck with them. I've purchased several different sizes and they all re-inflated after a short time.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Since there are different brands, I can't speak for them all. On the Space Bags brand, there is a small flap that covers the hole that is used to vacuum out the air.

If that flap doesn't fall into place, the air can leak out. If a person doesn't close the lid fairly quickly, the air will come out. And the lid must be completely closed. When I say quickly, if you answer the phone in the other room it will reinflate.

On Space Bags brand, none of these things was an issue for me. I had about 30 in various sizes, but now that I have decluttered there are about 10 or so still in use.

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Do you think Ziploc might have purchased the Space Bag name? "Ziploc Space Bags" is the name on the package.

Still... I think any reputable store would accept returns on products that don't work. I may give them a gamble.

Posts: 4624 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had some of mine fill with air and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes name brand, sometimes not. Sometimes I know they were filled too full , other times I know they were not. I do not know what effect weather has on them.

I still use them. But I have also used a large garbage bag, vacuumed out air and quickly twist-tied it. That works for a short time.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very satisfied with the various vacuum bags I've purchased. Some were Space Bags and some were other brands. One tip I can give you to help keep them from re-inflating is to use wide ribbon and tie it tightly around the compacted bundle.

If you are compacting a down comforter, you should not compact it more than 50% because the process will break the feathers.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can these bags be reused? I have tried to reuse them with bedding after company has left and cannot get them to seal?

Wanda

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can be reused. I have had some for years reusing them often for things after guests leave. Perhaps you are over-filling it? Or the seal may have just gone bad. Either is possible.

Even if they do not seal sufficiently to create a vacuum they are still good, clean storage for things.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post