Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Straightening up vs cleaning.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straightening up vs cleaning. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Grapefruit
posted
Do you distinguish between them? I have noticed that when some people say that they are "going to clean their hours" that they actually just put things away.To me, "cleaning" involves washing things. There are rags,paper towels, soap, detergents,buckets, etc. involved.

I keep things straightened up so that when I "clean" I do not have to put things away. What do you do?

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I agree. There's a difference in straightening up and cleaning. Straightening up is putting everything back in its place. Cleaning requires brooms, mops, dusters, elbow grease, etc.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Usually a bit of both. In order to clean, I have to straighten and put things away.

But just to straighten....it is a quick clear the clutter and pray for a blind guest?Wink

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Do you distinguish between them? I have noticed that when some people say that they are "going to clean their house" that they actually just put things away.To me, "cleaning" involves washing things. There are rags,paper towels, soap, detergents,buckets, etc. involved.

I keep things straightened up so that when I "clean" I do not have to put things away. What do you do?

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I read this and then had to go out so thought about it some.

At our age we do have disorder but it is not that of a family with children. Or careers etc. Or even very involved volunteer work which I always found meant lots of files and papers etc.

Our disorder is usually to do with a project. i.e. I had a print on my d.r. table for over a week. I had washed it and inadvertently broken the antique glass original to the frame. Had to buy new glass but no point in putting the print (which is long) away as it is also fragile. So that is one source of disorder. Next is my on-going project of swapping computer spaces. If I were young this may have taken a week but since I'm not it is going to take over a month!

Other disorder. . . dirty dishes, dead flowers, newspapers etc. are dealt with right away and yes, I would not call it cleaning but I might say dust the mantelpiece if I am changing the flowers.

I never actually clean like I used to, that is a room at a time. I "section" clean.

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When someone asks what I am doing I always reply cleaning. But I know whether I am cleaning or 'cleaning'( said in a lower voice).

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I straighten up the day before the cleaning people come. Maybe a couple of times between.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I try to keep everything "straight" all the time. Sometimes that doesn't work when you have a DH who was never taught to put things back where you got them! Roll Eyes
So when I "clean", I don't have straightening to do, I just go right to cleaning!

But I have a couple of kinds of cleaning. One is done on a sort of regular basis and the deep cleaning is done once a year....where EVERYTHING gets washed, wiped or polished and moved to be cleaned under (big furniture).

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
In my mind 'putting things away' is definitely CLEANING UP in my house. However, I wouldn't say that aloud to anyone. Do you have friends/family that announce that they are 'cleaning' when you think they are just 'straightening up'? I think it depends on your house. To me, straightening up IS cleaning? But I don't announce to people "I am cleaning" anyway!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
When I had young kids AND worked, my children had my attention. When they went to bed, I got my second wind to straighten things up. My daughters get nervous because they think I clean all the time. I do major steam cleaning every now and then, but I think mine is more straightening things up. My daughters think I'm always cleaning. This is not the case. I just know when they're coming. They live a few hours away....I get time. lol And quite often I'll tell them...the basement is off limits. Some of our building,gardening, sewing, and storage projects have gotten out of hand.
A dear friend had an awesome home. I was always impressed and learned from her. She said she liked the longer driveway because she could see people coming and throw some items in her bench seats along the wall of windows/in drawers. She showed me one of those drawers. We call them closets-basements-garages. Most people have THOSE spaces, or at least one drawer.

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
First DHs niece is married, no children, but her mother lives with her. She is CONSTANTLY posting on Facebook about cleaning house. I once asked her just how dirty did her house get on a daily basis... I'm not sure if she considers making the bed every morning as "cleaning."

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, cleaning means dusting, vacuuming, mopping, etc. while tidying means making the bed, washing dishes, storing items in their proper place, etc., but each person probably defines tasks a bit differently.

Posts: 2001 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me "straightening up" the house means tidying each room...throw straighted on the couch, papers/magazines put away, bed made, clothes in hamper or hung up and dishes in the dishwasher. Cleaning would be dusting, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping.

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
For me they are completely different types of activities.

My bathroom might be straightened and tidy, but without cleaning it will still stink, crud and scum and mold will visible. Oh, but it's neat with everything put away.

We have dogs. My various rooms might be the picture of decluterred with nothing on countertops, etc but it will still stink if it's not cleaned well.

On the other hand, I can be clean with stuff out. It just takes a lot more cleaning and more time.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all fits under cleaning for me.

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I straighten up daily and clean once a week. Deep cleaning is done several times a year.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I have a slightly different way of looking at it. Straightening up is easy, fluffing up cushions, folding throws, putting away newspapers, making the bed etc. Cleaning on a regular basis means vacuuming, dusting, mopping, washing clothes, cleaning bathrooms etc.
Now to get the house party ready...sheesh...it takes a whole lot more in addition to the first two. Cleaning all windows, mirrors and French doors, (removing dog snoozles) cleaning light fixtures, polish floors and then outside to clean the courtyards, trim overgrown plants and wipe down furniture.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7529 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cleaning is vacuuming and dusting. Picking up is putting things away. I TRY to put away on a daily basis and then I really clean weekly but I also vacuum and dust mop almost daily. (Mostly because of the dogs -- LOTS of dog hair in the house -- LOL!)

Martha

Posts: 6203 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Today, our living room look as if it had imploded. I had moved one of the heavy chairs to the center of the room to get to the corner. I was going to vacuum the chair,too. Here's what you don't want to find....bag is too full to continue. You go to FOUR various stores and no one carries them. I ended up ordering them online. Again....grrrrr after the person who sold us the vacuum said that we'd be able to find the bags at the local grocery store. Fortunately, we have a hand held that I can touch up here and there until it arrives. I'll use the hand held to go around the wood trim of the doors.

Windows are next on my agenda. The weather is cool and it will be nice to do it during this time.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
When I bought a new daily vacuum a few months ago, I ordered parts immediately. Extra washable hepa filters, a couple of belts, etc.

For many vacuums, the accessories are never in the stores. The accessories don't match anything sold, either. So weird.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tidying up versus cleaning. I guess there is a difference. I don't do either of them very well any longer. When I was younger and single and worked full time, one of my days off was devoted to cleaning. Everything got cleaned and dusted, etc. Then it was "I have to clean my house" even though my house was always a small apartment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charcoalsmom,

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids in the house or not, and when I worked full time I've always picked/straightened up daily. This means beds always made up, dishes in dishwasher, bathrooms tidied up, newspapers taken out at night, mail sorted though, and kitchen cleaned up after fixing meals. It's just a part of my life and don't give it a second thought most of the time and couldn't live any other way. Vacuum and dust minimum2-3 weekly, floors washed at least once a week, bathroom toilets and sinks cleaned at least 3-4x week. Anything else real heavy cleaning every 3 months or so.

Posts: 3148 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Mama spoon, I pretty much do what you do! The only exception is dusting....I always dust before guests arrive, but often tend to put it off now that there are just the two of us here most of the time.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
For me the "tidy up" is part of every day, and the "cleaning" is once a week. Tidy up is putting things away, and keeping things straight and looking nice. Cleaning is scrubbing, vacuuming, dusting, washing and that sort of thing.

Posts: 7246 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even just 5 - 15 minutes a day can make a world of difference. Small but consistent actions make a HUGE difference.

Keep the tasks very manageable, like just wiping one shelf instead of the whole bookcase.

Thank you!

Kelly Murphy
Owner,
The Closet Case dot net

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Vacuum bags arrived! Yippee!

Washed the front windows of the house. I'll get to the sides and back windows this week. No wonder birds hit their noggins' on our windows.

The new AC is suppose to keep our dust down. Looking forward to this!

posted Hide Post
I'm "unemployed" for August until school starts back up again in a little more than 3 WEEKS!?!. I am BOUND & DETERMINED to get my house in ORDER before then!

Have never been one to LOVE cleaning, but have been nursing 2 injuries that have side-lined me since the beginning of June on. Messed up foot (sever contusions) and then REALLY threw back out... both hurts just "take time". Have had a least 4 weeks when things like doing laundry and loading/unloading dishwasher were a BIG challenge.

It took me THREE DAYS to excavate my garage! I typically becomes a dumping ground for stuff that really belongs someplace else. Car is LOADED with tings I hope other people will be able to get some use out of when they head to thrift shop tomorrow. If I had a garage door opener, could actually PARK car in there!!

ABout halfway thru sewing/computer room. Want to get all curtains down/washed and back up, as well as cleaning those DARN mini-blinds... UGH!!
Windows will have to get a cursory cleaning... don't want to do ANYTHING that might remotely aggravate my back... probably just INSIDES, but better than nothing, huh!?!

I REALLY want to get things totally picked up and cleaned up!! A few years ago was on a schedule... bathrooms M, vac T, laundry W, etc. Wanna get back into THAT routine before FALL!!

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
For everyone who talks about all the work they did after the kids went to bed - what did/does you family do to contribute to maintaining the house? Notice I did not say help. Helping would imply that it is your job and they are assisting.

Just wondering.

Straightening up is when I know someone is dropping in - putting away papers, stashing dishes in the dishwasher, putting away loose items.

Cleaning is mopping, dusting wiping down, moving everything on the counters, cabinets, etc.

Then the regular routine - bathroom, kitchen, beds, etc.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Charming, I never thought about the term "helping" having the underlying thought that it is my job, but I think you are on to something. I am going to change my wording immediately.

The Husband is enlightened, especially given his generation--he is 78. Still....

I agree about doing housework when no one is watching. It is true about everything we do. If our spouses never see or hear the vacuum, it never registers with them that someone must be doing it, or how much strength and time it takes.

Mom never changed bags in front of us, though we did run the vacuum. When I left home, I had no idea there was a bag inside, and that it needed changing!!!

And that was just one thing! There were many, many others.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
My mother had us doing housework with her from the time we could reach the sink to wash dishes. We learned early on how to dust, sweep, wash windows, etc. The only things we didn't do was cook and wash clothes. Today I would rather cook or wash clothes than most any other household chore. Go figure!

When I first met DH he had a small bagless vacuum. He thought because it was bagless it never needed to be emptied. Roll Eyes The male mind is so far beyond my ability to comprehend.

Another one that snap's my garters is when someone will say their husband is "baby sitting" their children.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming, I'm with you on that one--a father baby-sitting his own children. There was an incident with my ex years ago when I needed him to watch our daughter(I forget the details) and he informed me that he was not my baby sitter. I answered that I was certainly HIS! That was the last time he tried that one!!!! And this was a man who never missed visitation and always paid support on time or early!!! What COULD he have been thinking?

Posts: 3493 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like trying to control you than the problem with caring for his children.

Fun and Info

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you distinguish between them?

To me cleaning means removing dirt - dust, greasy fingerprints, what the heck ever may be on the kitchen floor.... Straightening means neatening by doing something simple like straightening the quilt on the back of the couch or gathering up whatever may be strewn about.

Martha

Posts: 7165 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, straightening up is what you have to do before the real cleaning can begin. And after the real cleaning has been done, you have to straighten up again!!!

Posts: 3493 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post