Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Acid free storage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acid free storage Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
Does anyone know what kind of store would carry acid free tissue for heirloom clothes storage? I checked with JoAnn Fabrics and Michaels; they don't carry it. The Container Store has acid free boxes including tissue in kits, but not the tissue alone. I can only find online stores that sell it, but I hate to pay almost as much as the tissue price in shipping costs.

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
There are several listing on Ebay for acid-free tissue with free shipping. I don't know how the prices are though -- I remember one listing saying 25 sheets for $10 something, free shipping.

Good luck with your search.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
This is a good/cheap source for acid free packing paper.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSup...aper-%2810lb-pack%29

Old and clean washed, 100 percent white cotton sheets can work very well too.

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Have you checked on Amazon?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4751 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Yes, Amazon and other places have it, but shipping isn't free in the quantity I need. Thanks for the ebay idea, MyLife. Hadn't thought of that. I did find those free shipping vendors; may use them, but haven't decided for sure.

Conrad... Cotton/poly sheets won't work, eh? I have those, but no 100% cotton. What about new 100% cotton muslin from a fabric store, well-washed of its sizing? That might be the cheapest option yet, if it would be safe.

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sure cotton muslin could work, and as you mentioned, I would wash to remove any sizing/starch.

Restoration articles and books always mention 100 percent non-color-dyed cotton. One could probably use the white, cotton/poly blend sheets for wrapping/cushioning after initial wrapping with the 100 percent cotton?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some tissue and I think I bought it from Archivers store. See if they have one in your area. They sell scrapbooking stuff.

Posts: 401 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Nov 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post