Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  rust lines in toilet??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rust lines in toilet?? Sign In/Join 
posted
Have 3 toilets in house... main bathroom, half bath in master BR, and powder room near kitchen. Have this problem with toilet in main bathroom... most frequently used... powder room is close second for usage. Over past several months has developed these vertical "rust" lines coming down from under rim. They're pretty much perfectly spaced and mainly on the right side of bowl. Have tried normal bowl cleaning stuff... even gel/clinging stuff with bleach and all it seems to do is fade the stains?? Have tried one of those CLR(calcium, lime, rust) produces... again just fades stains, doesn't remove them? This is NOT a problem with other 2 toilets??

Any suggestions? I have NO problem getting down & dirty in that location. Have never bought/used those "magic" eraser things... think they would work??

Posts: 5625 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Is there something different about your water supply? Is anything rusting in the toilet tank?

How long have you used these toilets? For a temporary removal I would try Zud or a pumice stone, but really you want to get rid of this happening, don't you?

Posts: 12580 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the pumice stone. I use the pumice stone to remove calcium water lines in my toilets and around the drain in some of my sinks. Like LOS said, check your toilet tank, you may have to drain it and clean it out....no biggie to do this..

love life

Posts: 1512 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Pumice stone is probably the easiest method.
The stains often cling to the thin hard water deposits on the porcelain, so once the deposits are scratched off, the stain goes with them.

Aged galvanized steel water pipes or iron in the water supply itself is often the cause of the rust/iron stains. There are whole house filter units that can filter it out, if it is in the regional or water/well supply.

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whink Rust Stain Remover- best thing ever! Despite using CLR and pumice had rust stains that would not be conquered- hard well water despite treatment system. Gave up and figured I would just live with stains. First use was a marathon- drained bowl and lined stains with paper towels wet with Whink and then scrubbed- several times. Now have three rust free toilets with easy touch-ups with Whink. It's in a brown squeeze bottle available at Walmart or Wegmans-bet it is also available at other supermarkets.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
For the ring, I use a pumice stone.

We have a water filtration system on our well. It is 2-3 years past due servicing... Frown One of the two toilets in the house had an extremely rusty bowl...the other was fine...both are used the same. ???? We were going on a weekend trip and I made certain that I was the last person in each bathroom. I squirted Lysol bowl cleaner in each, swirled, squirted in more and closed the lid. I was shocked! The white toilet was white again! Now every so often when we leave for the weekend or I know that DH is going to be gone for the day...he or I repeat with the Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.

Posts: 17037 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
pkpk23, THANKS for the heads up regarding Whink. I can't wait to try it on my toilet bowls. Reviews coupled with your testimony sound favorable in attacking the constant rings caused by our well water in spite of our neutralizing system. There IS hope! Smile

Posts: 18670 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I also have used Whink on carpet stains (once rust from metal capped furniture legs on damp carpet). Also for rust stains on concrete driveways. Good stuff.

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I have one toilet that I can't figure out what it is. It's not rust, it's a blue ring that is even with the water line in the bowl. I have emptied the bowl and scrubbed with a powdered cleanser to no avail. Maybe I'll try that pumice stone.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
zone9 - Do you have copper plumbing? My mother had a "blue" drip problem in her bathtub where the faucet perpetually leaked.

Posts: 17037 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Zone9alady, I combat those unsightly rings too. I have well water but we have a neutralizer tank. Pumice stone does work...somewhat. The following link may help and also suggests they are mineral deposits. I just bought the recommended Whink rust removal product today and plan on trying it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_735211...ngs-toilet-bowl.html

Posts: 18670 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Froo, please report the outcome. I'm thinking of tryin Whink myself.

Posts: 3408 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Will do.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
We don't have copper plumbing but we do have a well. I know this area is heavy with limestone deposits, but I don't know what other minerals would cause the blue.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:
We don't have copper plumbing but we do have a well. I know this area is heavy with limestone deposits, but I don't know what other minerals would cause the blue.

My son had that same problem in only one toilet out of 3 in their condo in Hawaii. I used the pumice stone & got the ring off. DIL thought what I was doing was going to ruin the toilet and that it was also nasty...until she saw the results! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4830 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried several products with NO great results. Used a Lysol, gel product... pretty much did NOTHING?? Used one of those rust/lime/calcium things... again ZIPPO. Tried those "magic" erasers... even used old-fashioned cleanser... NADA.

A few days ago, bought another Lysol product. A gel in an "ominous" black container... worked like a CHARM. On toilet in main bathroom, the rust marks totally disappeared after gel sat on them for 10-15 minutes... no scrubbing needed. Marks were still showing below water line. I turned off water to toilet, drained tank/bowl and gave another squirt of the gel. I knew toilet was technically CLEAN, but having those stains gone is a great thing!

Posts: 5625 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
SMS, have tried the Whink, but no notable results. Perhaps draining the bowl and soaking paper towels to lay atop the ring will work. Have not had time to try this recommended method as we are in the midst of a bathroom remodel. At least the new toilet is sparkling. :-/