Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beds for guests Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
DGD will be here at least one night and her parents and younger brother will be here for a weekend later in month.

I am always uncertain about how long to leave a bed made up with clean sheets before changing it.

I like to leave the beds made up clean but it might be months before they are used again. Also I wonder if there is a difference between leaving clean sheets on bed or in the linen closet?

Any one else stymied by this question?

Posts: 12603 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Clean on the bed is the same thing as clean in the closet. IMHO

Posts: 17049 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leave them on and reuse, esp if you know who the occupant will be. Only thing I'd do is put on fresh pillowcases.

Posts: 3121 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If it is all covered with a spread while there are no guests, I think they are just as clean as in a linen closet.

BTW, When I visit overnight to baby sit at my DD's, I bring my own sheets and pillow (remove her pillows). I put my sheets over the top of hers, so it saves her having to strip the bed after I leave. I remove mine in the morning and hers are still ready to use for the next guest.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Mine are totally covered with the spread & shams. Guests sleep on them as they were clean when I put them on.
I might run the spread & shams through an "air" cycle just before they arrive, depends on it the room has been open or not any time since it was last "refreshed".
My guest room seldom gets opened!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Clean on the bed is just fine. My guest room doesn't get used very often.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
On similar subject and another guest issue...sometimes? Soap.

We use liquid soap in dispensers on the shower/bath walls and at the sink and the little wrapped motel types for anyone wanting bar soap.
A friend uses full size bar soap, but does not want to open a new bar for each different guest visit, so she pours boiling water over the used bar to "sterilize it" before they arrive. She lets her guests know, and they are fine with it too. Wink

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It really depends How long they've been on. If it's a few months, I'm fine -- if it's longer than six, I change them again before company comes. But that's just me.

Martha

Posts: 5902 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think sheets become stale smelling if they are left on a bed, or even if they are left sitting in a closet for too long. To me "too long" is more than a month.

For my guest beds, I remove the sheets, and make up the bed using just the bedspread. I store the clean sheets in my linen closet. When a guest is coming, I run the sheets through the wash and make up the bed a day or two before the guests arrive. I know this means an extra wash for the sheets but I like to offer really fresh smelling beds.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Mine are hardly used. It's by my grown kids when they visit. They all stay in the same bed each time. If its one night, the bed is made up for the next time they come. But if they are here for several nights, they get washed and the beds remade. Our guests rooms stay closed off with the vents also closed. A day or so before company arrives the rooms get opened up, dusted, vacuumed, and I turn the covers back and febreeze the beds just to freshen them, even if the sheets were washed after the last visit.there are no allergy concerns with them on using it.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
One more thing some hosts may not think of?
Many of us tend to have allergic reactions to the scented softener sheets and liquid fabric softener that one may regularly use in their own laundry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I know this means an extra wash for the sheets but I like to offer really fresh smelling beds.

Wow, Cocok that is something that would be difficult for me as I line dry and iron all linens including bed sheets!

I have lots of sheets so keeping bed made up and then changing if too long a period of time has gone by without a guest I could change but would probably do it just before arrival of guest.

Thanks for input!

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I had to start keeping the guest rooms shut off because of my pets.my kids were coming. I had been running around like crazy trying to get ready .Thought I was all finished. A few hours before they were due to arrive, I went in one room and found the bed covered in cat hair. Apparently a couple of them had been going in there for solitary naps. So at the last minute I was stripping the bed and even washing the comforter. So all the doors stay closed now.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
When my guest room was not in use for guest I would cover the madeup bed with a king size sheet. That was to keep pet hair off and dust off.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3539 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When my guest room was not in use for guest I would cover the madeup bed with a king size sheet.

I am going to start doing this esp for one attic bed that gets a lot of sunshine. I will pile extra pillows on it and cover the whole thing with a white sheet.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I've done this. It works. I just don't do it all the time. I should.

posted Hide Post
The guest room bed is made up with sheets and coverlet, but the sleeping pillows and pillow cases are kept containers to keep them dust-free. I have guests regularly and the sheets are changed after each visit, so I don't worry about the sheets getting stale.

I don't offer bar soap to guests, only shower gel and liquid hand soap.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as your beds are covered with blankets your bed should be clean, just clean the blankets.

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We have a fair amount of guests. Whole guest area is cleaned, beds made up and I call it done.

Only thing I do last minute is if we have to air-up/make up the air bed in the family room...that's when EVERYbody is coming...LOL!

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post