Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Want Your Great Tip to Appear On-Air?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want Your Great Tip to Appear On-Air? Sign In/Join 
posted
Share with us your one (or more!) super-smart tip for cleaning or organizing your home and we might use it on a commercial on HGTV.

Post it in response to this thread and be sure to include a name and your home town if you'd like to.

Thanks so much!

Lili Zarghami
Managing Editor, HGTV.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Utilize the back of your doors! From anything from coats and scarves to creating a wrapping center.

Posts: 1 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaning music is a MUST in our house and here's a quick and easy way to amplify the music without speakers using something every house has: a drinking glass! Yep, plop your phone down in an empty glass and you have instant speakers! The concave shape of the glass amplifies the sound. You can carry your "DIY Speakers" room-to-room while you clean and make the time go by faster.

Here's our post about this tip: http://7thhouseontheleft.com/2...03/cool-drink-music/

Ashley & Greg Brown
Hanover, Virginia
www.7thhouseontheleft.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AshleyBrown,

Posts: 7 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Mar 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom gave me a set of vintage Pyrex mixing bowls a while back, and I’ve been wanting to display them in our glass cabinets. The only problem is, being up on a high shelf, you can’t see all three bowls or the aqua blue retro-looking detailing very well. I went to the craft store and picked up two blocks of green Styrofoam - the kind you use for floral arrangements. Two micro-seconds later… Bada bing bada boom! I didn’t even bother unwrapping the Styrofoam because otherwise, it would eventually flake off and make a mess. By adding the Styrofoam blocks, not only do you get to see the retro detailing, but it also adds height and more visual weight to this section of the cabinet. It’s an easy fix, and it solves two problems at once! Holla.

Ashley & Greg Brown
Hanover, Virginia

Posts: 7 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Mar 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For months, I’ve been keeping paint swatches of the colors we’ve used in our house in my wallet just in case I happen to come across fabric or wall art that might look good somewhere. The only problem was, the swatches were so small, it was hard to really get a good idea of how the combination would look. So I went to the office supply store and picked up a 6x6 chipboard book (you find it in the scrapbook section and it's basically five pieces of chipboard, on a metal ring). I then gathered all of the gallons of paint we used in the house and painted each chip board page a color. They’re small enough to fit in my purse, but large enough that I can get a real idea of what something might look like against our walls when I'm out shopping. The perfect solution to a small problem!

Ashley & Greg Brown
Hanover, Virginia

posted Hide Post
I promise this is our last tip to share! haha Smile

At our house, we have a pretty hefty amount of magazine subscriptions - especially home decor magazines! I'm constantly tearing out pages of decorating ideas, recipes, and such. But all of those clippings were beginning to clutter my desk - so I needed a solution. So I put together what I call "The Magazine Notebook". Here's what I gathered to get started:

- 3-Ring Binder
- Dividers
- Page Protectors
- A Sticky-Note Wallet
- Thin Permanent Marker
- Scissors
- My massive stack of magazines & clippings
- Some good black & white movies

I started browsing through the magazines/clippings one by one. When I found something I wanted to hold on to, I simply tore it out and trimmed the edge (nasty, ripped edges are a no-no). After a few magazines, I realized the articles and clippings I was setting aside could easily be divided into eight categories: Home Decor (Yes, we have a notebook for home decor photos, but this section is for home decor articles such as picking the right paint color, curb appeal tips, etc.), entertaining, home life, recipes, beauty/health, gift ideas, general articles, and photography.

The sticky notes come in handy to make notes — especially in the gift idea section. If I come across something that will be perfect for my mom, I can just attach a note. And if for some reason she’s later browsing through my ultra-organized, nifty magazine notebook, and I don’t want her to see my gift idea, I can just snatch it off and put it inside the sheet protector between the pages.

I go through the notebook every couple of months and remove the things we don’t care for anymore, read one too many times, etc. That way, things don’t get too out of hand. The notebook will be ever-evolving and it’ll always stay fresh and new - kind of like my own personal magazine!

Happy organizing!

Ashley & Greg Brown
Hanover, Virginia

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AshleyBrown,

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Our kitchen is very small (7' X 12') but that is wall to wall! Every square inch counts for storage and I have made a very functional kitchen by using all available wall space.

Posts: 12770 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cover refrigerator shelves with Glad Press N Seal. When it's time to clean the refrigerator, just peel it off and throw it away!

Kristin Koehler
Duncan, OK

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kriskoeh:
Cover refrigerator shelves with Glad Press N Seal. When it's time to clean the refrigerator, just peel it off and throw it away!

Kristin Koehler
Duncan, OK

I think that's a great idea!!

Posts: 989 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not for cleaning but avoiding future cleaning--getting wasp nests out of outdoor lights. This tip keeps wasps from making nests in outdoor lamps. Cut lightweight screen (very inexpensive at a hardware store) the size of the opening. Take HandiTak and roll it into strips and place all around the edge. Push screen into place in opening. This keeps wasps out but still allows the heat from the bulbs to escape. I have 4 outdoor lights I did this with a month ago and none have fallen out.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When trying to curtain an arched palladian style window, don't put a rod across the top and hide the architecture of the window...use a hula hoop and some utility broom holders to create an inexpensive curtain rod! Cut the hula hoop open with a utility knife, and take the decorative plastic off as well. Position three metal broom holders on the wall: one at 12:00, 3:00 and 9:00. and run your curtain panels on the hula hoop. Secure the hula hoop onto the broom holders and cut off any excess hula hoop adding a decorative wooden ball to the end of the hoop with glue. Gather the curtains in the center and secure with fishing wire or rubber band and form a flower or knot. Now you can run a regular rod across the bottom and you'll be able to see the architecture of the window.

Posts: 2 | Location: Cedar Hill | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Practical Housewife
posted Hide Post
I have a few but here is one that takes a few minutes to do using a simple dollar store brush...

http://youtu.be/BgsEoYVd0DI

I also use this brush to dust out the little nooks and crannies of the more detailed pieces I have around the house. Works great and is very gentle.

Cat

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Tips! Elite Custom Organizing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elite Custom Organizing,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using brushes to dust things just scatters the dust--much better to use the little soft brush attachment on your vacuum and get rid of that dust.
IMHO
I have asthma so I'm extra sensative to dust (and it's one of my top allergies) SO I do not want it flying around and putting it air born!

Posts: 1712 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 12 year old home has dark cherry wooden cabinetry throughout. A couple of years after we built this home, we noticed the dark stain on the cabinet doors in the childrens bathroom was bleaching away around each knob.

We believe the fading was caused by the bleaching effect of toothpaste containing whitening agents remaining on the childrens hands as well as, get this, acne creams which was applied to the face by hand. It turns out some acne Rx also have bleaching effects, and this may have been the culprit affecting the dark stain without damaging the surface finish of the cabinet doors. I finally put two and two together after several accusations of accidentally bleaching my teens favorite tee shirts. Each tee shirt had the same pattern of bleaching around the neckline, where the Rx was applied . . .as well as with spots where the hands pulled the tee shirt on.

The cabinet mfg. supplied a touch up kit, but the product supplied did not fix the problem since the surface finish wasn't damaged. Only the stain under the surface finsih was faded/bleached. The product supplied by the mfg simply floated on the cabinet door surface and would not absorb into the wood.

Prefering not to refinish each cabinet door, we left it alone. Then, one day I was changing the color of my hair with a store bought hair color and had a small amount of the hair color remaining in the bottle. I noticed if the dye dripped onto the counter, I had to wash it off immediately because it would leave a stain if I didn't react quickly. I decided to try dabbing the auburn haircolor onto the damaged cabinet doors with a q-tip. Surprisingly, the dye did penetrate the surface finish and the excess wiped off with a dry cloth after a few minutes. The auburn haircolor product was a very close match to the dark cherry wood stain. This simple application addressed an aesthetic nuisance easily and very inexpensively. All the prior bleached damage on each cabinet door was nearly invisible.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Rub a faucet with waxed paper to prevent water spots and finger prints.

Posts: 989 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaning Tip to get scuffs out of porcelain kitchen sinks! It is so hard not to scratch the bottom of your porcelain kitchen sink. My tip is:

Take Dishwasher liquid (I use Palmolive Lemon) and spread a thin coat over the entire bottom of the sink. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes and rinse with water!! It takes the scratches out everytime!!!

Posts: 3 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: Jan 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Swiffer type mops but think the throw away pads for sale are a waste of my money so. . I bought a multi-pack [12] of inexpensive washcloths. Then took 2 at a time and sewed them together on 3 sides leaving 1 side open so I can turn them inside out. I now have washable & re-useable pads with 4 sides as I clean my walls, ceilings and floors. The rough texture of the washcloths is a plus.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christina87
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Aug 16, 2012 10:09 AM Hide Post
Using brushes to dust things just scatters the dust--much better to use the little soft brush attachment on your vacuum and get rid of that dust.

You can find this furniture for Discount Sale Now at http://homebestfurniture.com

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an easy way to clean clear glass vases. Fill the vase with water and drop in 2 denture cleaning tablets. Wait 15-20 minutes and rinse. The cheap tablets from dollar stores work just fine. Great for vases with round bottoms and narrow tops!

Joy Gazaway
Virginia Beach, VA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bailey's Mom,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanish Revival:
quote:
Originally posted by kriskoeh:

Kristin Koehler
Duncan, OK

I think that's a great idea!!

Brilliant!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OrganizedClutterbug
posted Hide Post
Organize your shoes so your family will actually put them away!

http://youtu.be/UjR66_pqrsw

Posts: 3 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OrganizedClutterbug
posted Hide Post
Love the Glad Press and Seal for the fridge idea! Totally stealing that for my blog!! lol

I love our lost sock bag. We never, ever put lone socks in our drawers. Instead, we put all the left over, lost socks in a bag in our laundry room and once a month we match them up!!

We never have to spend time each morning trying to find a matching pair.

Posts: 3 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the new age of slim line Tv's most people are getting rid of their TV cabinets. Why not recycle it for another use. I bought this cabinet at a thrift store for under 20$ and turned it into a storage cabinet for all my metal pots, pans, lids. I placed it in the room next to the kitchen. Its just feet from the stove and refrigerator. I even created a section to have my pot lids sit side by side from large to small. I am able to organize everything with plenty of elbow room. If its metal - for cooking or baking, it goes in this cabinet. I have photos if you need.

Recycle TV Cabinet

Posts: 1 | Location: Silverdale, PA | Registered: Dec 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deanna Presley
posted Hide Post
My most helpful organizer for my very small laundry room is the expandable shower rod that I have from wall to wall above my clothes dryer. As soon as the dryer ends, I hang clothes on the rod, never have wrinkled clothes. I also have a 5 tiered shelf, each family member has their name on a shelf. When clothes come out of dryer they are folded and placed on the shelf. Everyone collects their own clothes from the laundry room. Very convenient for small spaces!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch this thread

best job

test check It

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been married for 48 years to a wonderful man. Not once have I had to match up his socks! He has always taken the time to pin them together before throwing them into the dirty clothes basket. If you keep the pins nearby, it takes very little time.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cleaning tip is the following: If you want to remove mold, use some cheap vodka. It works very well for cleaning but is especially good for mold and odors.
If you credit me use Easy Clean Toronto

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EasyCleanToronto,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a successful youtube channel where I share tons of home tips. Along with a blog. This is my passion.

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/athomewithnikki

Blog: http://www.athomewithnikki.com

Nikki Boyd

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Homemaker-Mom
posted Hide Post
Use a clear shoe holder on the back of a pantry door to store your gravy packets & spices & those pesky extra condiments we all have. It gets them out of the way! You can see easy what ever you need.

Also in your fridge line it with cheap table place mats for a cute effect but it also makes cleaning easier just slide the mat out and wash!

You can view pictures of mine http://www.homemaker-mom.com/2...al-ideas-part-3.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Homemaker-Mom,

Visit me at homemaker-mom.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Raleigh NC | Registered: Apr 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post