Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  EWWW, that smell??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EWWW, that smell?? Sign In/Join 
posted
... Can'tcha smell that smell? What the H is it and where is it coming from??

The smell is random in placement and occurrence? It's NOT the litter box or even in that area? The only thing I can liken it to is serious BODY ODOR... sweat?

House is a split level... smell not in 2nd level (LR) or top level (BRs). It's on ground level... section that contains dining room, kitchen, family room and attached garage... all on concrete slab construction.

I've check every place I can possibly think of with nothing unusual? It's NOT overwhelming, just a whiff that's not very pleasant... and NOT constant?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Posts: 5664 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Have you checked for mold in closets?

There's also a possibility that you could have a dead varmint in a crawl space...

Posts: 17430 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No under house crawl space. First place where I'd suspect dead critter MIGHT happen would be garage... no noticeable smell out there? Doesn't seem to be coming from vents/ducts... have actually made a point to SNIFF around them when AC clicks on and air is blowing out. Mold is doubtful... with serious cleaning bin ge/pur ge I've been on, woulda noticed that. If something died in RARELY accessed attic, would think the odor would at least be in upper level of house... NOPE. AND the odor isn't CONSTANT?? Kinda comes/goes every few days & as I said, it's NOT "noxious" or overwhelming??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thatchairlady,

Posts: 5664 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a bathroom not being used or a floor drain on that level? Sometimes a floor drain will dry out in the drain trap and sewer gas will come up. Could it be that? If you have a floor drain, pour some water down with or without a little cloryx and see if that makes the difference.

love life

Posts: 1571 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check that rubber thing in your garbage disposal. They can get pretty stinky.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Check the weather. Rainy, damp days enhance bad odors in a home. You might pinpoint easier.

That is also the reason, if househunting, you should insist on seeing homes on rainy days. And if house selling, never show it on rainy days.

And when buying/selling used cars. Etc.

Posts: 4634 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I'll echo Index Lady - humidity really sets off odors.

One time I had the most horrible horrible odor in my kitchen (back in my little apartment years ago). Could not find the source to save my life. turns out I had thrown away a ziploc bag containing an onion from the fridge. I had missed the trash and it fell between the cupboard and the dishwasher. Oh that was bad!

check around all garbage and recycle bins inside the house, and take each outside for a good rinse and sun dry.

Posts: 3506 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Indexlady:
Check the weather. Rainy, damp days enhance bad odors in a home. You might pinpoint easier.
That is also the reason, if househunting, you should insist on seeing homes on rainy days. And if house selling, never show it on rainy days. [QUOTE]

I think it is good to view houses when it is raining to see if there are any leaks, or water gathers in certain areas, etc. But ~ Sometimes you don't have that option. You usually go to look at houses when the Realtor calls you (often at the last minute) and when selling your house, you would never turn down a chance to show your home to prospective buyers. Your home should NOT SMELL in the first place, regardless of the weather!!! Smile Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2557 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I have to leave all my closet doors open in the warmer weather because the clothes in the closet, even though all are clean, get a musty odor.

html

Posts: 2541 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DMs home was an old cobbled together house. Two rooms. Two more rooms added. Back porch added across the back. Back porch enclosed to make a den (used for a big bedroom for DBs) and a dining room.

The old house had a couple of window a/c units and a couple/three gas space heaters. It always smelled musty. DM purchased a couple of dehumidifiers. They helped immensely and sure beat the various scented candles she had scattered throughout the house.

Posts: 17430 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I experienced something it could be. My last home in Lou.is.iana was also built on a concrete slab. As we know, all concrete cracks and settles over time.
We had new berber carpet installed in the living area. After a few years there was this one spot that always smelled a little off. I would actually get on my hands and knees and smell the carpet. It was about 12 feet away from the entryway and only in that one spot.

It smelled as if I had just dug a fresh hole in the garden and added some compost to do some planting. I swear to this day it had to be the ground smell coming up through a crack in the slab.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived on the Texas gulf coast, DH and I smelled something pretty raunchy in our bedroom. I got on my hands and knees sniffing. I had washed a pair of athletic shoes then put them outside on the picnic table to dry because when tossed in the dryer shoes would knock the door open. They were in the bedroom beside the master bath door.

As anyone who lives near water knows, the humidity is so thick you can cut it like a knife. ONE of those shoes soured. I washed the shoes again...put a chair in front of the dryer door. Did not help. I had to throw the shoes away.

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Thatchairlady: you are listed as living in Mt Holly. I lived in Lumberton, right next to you. We used to get odors from the recycling plant on Rt. 38 & the bypass. They would waft in during the summer and really stink sometimes. Our houses were new construction across from the municipal offices (so we were several miles from the recycyling) and everyone in the neighborhood would complain when this happened. Thankfully, it wasn't often but it was always in the summer.

Posts: 310 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Could it be something/food that fell behind the waste bin? between fridge or stove & cabinet? a yogurt cup that got put in the wrong place? kid's gym clothes? hubby fishing glove (when my dh comes from fishing, he lays the glove on kitchen bar and it smells rotten til I soak it in vinegar and then rinse/take to the garage.

Hope you have found it by now...

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beedeeess... that dump on 38 was NASTY, wasn't it!?! Those smells that would waft over my development... always in summer... were often gag worthy!.

WELL, I solved the mystery! The bad news... It was cat P!! Think the smell of the foam backing altered the odor??

The good news... carpet is a "system" of not quite square/rectangular "tiles" that interlock. Bought it cuz desperately needed something new in the dining-room, couldn't possibly manage a 9by12 remnant on my own, and then saw a commercial for the stuff at HD. Major selling point was that you could just remove/replace damaged tile and replace. I pulled up a bunch of the carpet tiles and just tossed them out the front door last night. The odor pretty much went away in no time... at least to the point of not being blatant.

Now for the clean-up. Sister has made a few suggestions. One was thorough dousing with white vinegar that is allowed to air dry... did that on exposed slab. Also suggested aluminum foil to deter cat from being interested in that area.

When I walked out the front door this morning, the "aroma" was just NASTY!! I hosed the carpet sections down, dosed with liberal amount of piney cleaner. Supposed to be t-storms tonight... a bit of a rinse?? Bought 2 gallons of white vinegar and plan to soak those pieces... maybe salvage?? But also heading to HD with one of the 3 spares to see if they have the same color... apparently musta gotten some kinda mail-in rebate, cuz box has a hunk cut out of it where probably model/serial number would have been.

IF salvage is possibly, it's gonna take a LONG time for pieces to dry out enough to put back down... has foam padding attached. A little computer knowledge is a dang erous thing?? After some googling, trying to make dining-room a "no cat zone"... at least for a while. Have wide strips of aluminum foil along areas where cat could walk in... of course she could just JUMP over if she wanted to?? Room looks like it belongs to a conspiracy theorist... where's my foil HAT??

Found a "recipe" to make an all natural repellent for indoors... a tea of sorts... cinnamon, lavender, rosemary. Just keeping fingers crossed that this was a one time thing and it won't happen once thoroughly cleaned up.

posted Hide Post
Try nature's miracle. Sold at pet and grocery stores. My dining room carpet is stinky in the rainy season as the humidity just amplifies the odor. Combine that with a cowardly dog who piddles during thunderstorms and blech!

posted Hide Post
Came back to ask if this is "New" behavior from kitty? If so, have you been to the vet? Didn't see mention of it above. Also, adding an extra box for kitty is a good idea.

posted Hide Post
Guess I'd have to say it's "new" though she does use litter box.

posted Hide Post
One of the bad things about cat pee is that when it dries, it becomes crystals. When the humidity goes up, the crystals "replump" and you can get the odor again. So be sure to find out exactly what you need to do to treat the subflooring before you replace your pad and carpet.

Middle DS and DIL pulled up the carpet in their formal dining area and replaced it with tile because of an errant cat.

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Nature's Miracle for the carpet. A trip to the vet for the cat.

Urinating outside the box can be a sign of crystals in the urine (kitty kidney stones), a UTI, diabetes, or kidney failure. Or it could be a complaint that you don't keep the box clean enough to suit the cat.

Posts: 8620 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you found the source of your odors (not the dump!) sorry to hear it's the cat. Sounds like you got a lot of good advice and hope something works for you.

Posts: 310 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post