Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  What in what cabinet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in what cabinet Sign In/Join 
posted
New house, ample kitchen cabinets but what to put where. I know that after living here for awhile I will change things around somewhat but could use some suggestions for now.

Upper cabinets have 8 1/2" cabinet to right of stove and then a corner cabinet. Right now I have spices in the small cabinet but it is not working, (except for the salt and pepper.) Even though they are in a small box so I can bring them down to see, it is not convenient.

What would you put in that skinny cabinet?

Where would you keep spices if you did not want them on the counter.?

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a small cabinet to the right of my stove and I do keep my spices in there. I bought "stairstep" organizers so the spices are easy to see and reach. On the upper shelves, I keep batteries and seasonal pillar candles (candles used for display and not burned much.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If the 8 1/2" cabinet has shelves, I would take them out and make a slot for cookie sheets, cutting boards, etc.

If your stove is not a cooktop but has an oven, you should not keep spices right beside it. They will get too warm.

My spices are in a drawer with angled racks. I hate to type that they are pretty much alphabetical...it is easier to find a specific spice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16462 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I might attach a tall, shallow, shelving "box" to the inside of the door with clear plexi strips across the front to keep spices from falling off the shelves. Cut back the cabinet shelves as needed to allow the door to close. Then you would have spices handy, and a shallower cabinet shelf for storage.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Not sure what happened when our cabinets were built. Have ketchup/mustard bottles gotten taller in the past years? We have so many things that don't fit the shelves. It's not bad when it's a box and it can fit on the side, but bottles like I've mentioned. Not that we use a lot ketchup/mustard. Our dishes use many spices...not ketchup/mustard as much.
Yes, I DID put pegboard on the base of a metal working shelves. I used the pegboard hooks to hold up the cookie sheets & trays. Just shared this info with MIL. Hmmmmm maybe my emails are NEWS worthy. LOL I'm really THAT important? LOL
Yes, I have also found cardboard boxes from stores that fit in other cabinets. They can slide out in one sweep vs. one can at a time to see what's in the back. I saw on a Pinterest idea to cover it with fabric to make it stylish. Right now, it's behind a door, who's going to look? As I have typed before....I have many of our items on an EXCEL spreadsheet to locate items for cooking. We have the basement pantry, upstairs cabinets, down the hallway cabinets. You store where you can. Won't even discuss the freezers.
Yes, I will. My hub discussed how many freezers we have with coworkers. ??? Some have more than we do. He tried to pull off that we have three. Not really!!!! Side by sides are only 1/4 in size if you think about it. I can honestly say we have 1 3/4. lol I need an Excel spreadsheet for these. But Brrrrrrrrrr....not this season! The plastic freezer containers have been made are helpful, but not if there's not a place for labels for them. And what label maker will stay on plastic with freezing temps. Back to permanent makers on plastic. Be sure to put the date. Frozen fish....mmmm mmmmm....how old are they? LOL Just another reason to be close to a lake/ocean.

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16462 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
#3 Under cabinet - which would be my 2nd choice if I had not had the drawer space:

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I really like that bottom storage "drawer" My spices are multiplying and I am running out of room!

On a wire rack inside the door on my sole base cabinet! (which is original to the house)

Posts: 12136 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I showed DH the wooden drawer insert - he told me "No. Too much trouble."

So I bought something like this. Four of them. I grabbed a pair of pliers from my very own toolkit and bent the front legs. I connected two side-by-side overlapping so that they fit in the drawer. Did the same with the other two racks. Two in the back of the drawer and two in the front. I put a couple of empty spice cans in the back to keep them from sliding to the back of the drawer. Works GREAT for me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
The 8" cupboard - I put the plastic storage on trainers there. Not sure it is the right spot but will try that for awhile.

The spices: I really like that drawer container but I am not willing to give up that much space in a drawer. I was excited about the under cabinet till I remembered I have lights there. Oh well.

So I guess it is inside door storage, maybe in that upper corner cabinet as there is plenty of space. I will be checking out different types.

Thanks so much.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metwo, you say 8 1/2" and I assume you mean wide.
But how deep and how high is the cabinet? How many shelves?

posted Hide Post
It is standard size for modern kitchens. 12" deep, 30" high. 2 movable (or removable) shelfs though the top one is useless because I need a ladder to reach it.

posted Hide Post
O.K. 12 inches deep and each shelf would then be 10" high? (Or could be) I would probably put a nice large casserole or serving dish or nice pan on each shelf. You say you don't really need the space but want to use it?

If you would like to use it for spices could there not be a sort of swing down holder? In other words a holder that pulls out, swings down and then you choose the spice? Three high could fit in the bottom shelf of such a cabinet. I've never seen anything like this but it sounds like what you need.

posted Hide Post
hort of a kitchen make-over, would LOVE to be able to AFFORD to just install those roll-out thingies in bottom cabinets. L-shaped counter-top... probably 3X3 hunka WORTHLESS space... not adaptable to a lazy susan thing. Cabinet over fridge is a TOTAL waste... need step stool to get to and only about 6 inches tall... have NO idea if there's even anything in it now??

All my herbs/spices are in areas that THEY say is the worst for them... in cabinets above/beside stove top? Have found a few T-ware carousel-thingies with rectangular containers that fit in cabinet and still turn.

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my spices next to my stove in upper cabinet
so narrow that those expanded shelves do not fit so I asked my husband to cut some 2/4's to fit, back one is on the 4" side, the one in front of that in on laying flat so that I have 3 steps shelves now and I have a 10 ft ceiling in there and the cabinets go up that tall so I need a step ladder to reach anything above the 2nd shelf but I use that space for seldom used items and it works fine.

Have any of you ever had house cleaners, I do mainly because of health problems, they cleaned my cabinets 'ONCE' and instead of putting things back where I had them they put them where they thought that they should be, this was almost 8 years ago and I am still looking for a lid to one of my plastic bowls.

Wanda

Posts: 1724 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tall cabinets over my refrigerator and the section with the oven and microwave. No shelves. When we first moved in I asked DH to build shelves in the cabinet over the refrigerator and a shelf set with a slot on the left for baking sheets above the microwave. The other day he looked in the cabinet above the microwave when I had the door open and he said, You need shelves in there with a slot for those baking sheets you have leaned against the side.

LOL We moved here in 2004.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Would this work for your spices? Not sure if it would spin in the cabinet or not.

http://www.containerstore.com/...=70879&mr=spice+rack

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9316 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beau'sRose, after reading the reviews I think it has more drawbacks for me then good. I will just have to keep an eye out for a door rack. But thank you for the link.

posted Hide Post

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention,the works spice base/upper drawer next to the oven. This might make up for many shelves being too short for the tall containers of oil & spices purchased in bulk quantity.

Here's an example from HGTV Remodel.

http://www.hgtvremodels.com/ki...ing-guide/index.html

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My other thought....make it an open shelving...side opening. This way...messy cooking hands don't have to grab door knobs.

http://www.hgtvremodels.com/ki.../pictures/index.html

The cabinetry around the stove....I'd like to think on the left side, the cabinetry is open towards the stove. My other thought: if plate racks were closer to the stove the chef has better access to plate the dish. Maybe bring the plate rack down just a bit and have a place a bowl/two. I have seen this from a chef's show and it just makes sense to me. It's the one request my hub is always making. "Please get me a ....., my hands are a mess." Need I say more?

We don't have a kitchen with this square footage, but I still think it can be simply achieved. If not the wood...even stone built for that "rustic" vibe. It would be important to include a tray per opening. Oil on the shelving...not fun for this housekeeper. Right now, I'm using antique dish to hold our olive oil decanter.

And for those of us....in waiting....for new kitchens: Create a side cabinet next to the stovetop using cinder blocks. I know what I'll be doing soon. Big Grin

Thanks for getting me to think about this project. Woohoo!

posted Hide Post
Trish, Those are some big kitchen spaces!! I had a bigger kitchen (not as big as those) before this house. I rearranged things a couple of times until I learned what would work that would not walk me to death.

As for spices stored near the stove, be careful...heat kills 'em.

My hubs is bad about walking through the kitchen bouncing between the office and the television and shutting cabinets/pantry/drawers. I turn around to grab something...have to wash my hands because everything is closed up.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I wondered about the heat being near the spices. We don't have a kitchen with that amount of space. Our kitchen is small. I joke with my husband about the chefs on some of our channels who have kitchens smaller than our's and they are doing great! Then, it dawns on me.....they have all the ingredients set up, so we don't see them hunting down items in various places.

SOME open cabinetry makes sense to me....Is there any negative points about open plate racks? Can the dowel rods be adjusted for depth of plates?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
O.K. 12 inches deep and each shelf would then be 10" high? (Or could be) I would probably put a nice large casserole or serving dish or nice pan on each shelf. You say you don't really need the space but want to use it?

If you would like to use it for spices could there not be a sort of swing down holder? In other words a holder that pulls out, swings down and then you choose the spice? Three high could fit in the bottom shelf of such a cabinet. I've never seen anything like this but it sounds like what you need.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pull-D...&hash=item4175b0fd4a

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nereen
posted Hide Post
That was rack organizer, isn't it? You can't store casserole there.

Posts: 1 | Location: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post