Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Organization Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organization Advice Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I am having a hard time figuring out how to best use the space I have for my situation and I would really love some ideas and tips.

To start off, my husband and I are currently living in my grandmother's basement (my childhood room) because we have had some problems and needed to start over. All of my childhood things are pretty much still there, plus the added things my husband brought into the equation and some gifts that have piled up.

The space is 11'5"x8 with a short ceiling and the bunk bed (which I am not allowed to take out of the room as it belongs to my mother) takes up 5'5"x6'3".

I have no closet and or dresser, so I need to address the clothes issue as I'm tired of leaving my clean clothes in a cardboard box in the laundry room. We also have a desktop computer, desk, and bookshelf already in place.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
If your arent sleeping in the bunk bed, use the lower bunk as the closet. hang a tight line from end to end to hang your clothes on, make a curtain across the bed area, use under bed storage, use the top bunk for more storage. treat the bunk bed as a wardrobe essentially.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a brilliant idea, Kathy!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hi Jadestarwolf,

I don't know if you have space for a TV stand, but they can work as a great exposed closet also. Where the TV would normally be placed you can buy a tension rod and hang clothes neatly. The smaller drawers could be used for your socks and undergarments, things you wouldn't want to be exposed. Shoes can be placed on top of the TV stand or underneath where your clothes are hanging.

I also agree with Kathy. If you do not have space for another furniture piece, then try and transform the bunk bed into something useful. If your mom will not let you remove the bottom bed, then if there is space underneath the bed, try and find drawers that will fit. You can place small sliding wheels on the bottom of the drawers to make them pull out. If she will let you remove the bottom bed, it might be a good place to place the desk and computer to free up other space in the room.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KBTrendsMag,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of a TV stand converted into an exposed closet.

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's totally neat, KB.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post