Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  What do you do with old car waxing rags?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you do with old car waxing rags? Sign In/Join 
posted
I've used ripped up old flannel pajamas for waxing the car. Do you just throw them out afterwards or do you wash them? I can't bring myself to throw it in my washer.. afraid of the residue gunking it up.

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Don't put them in your washer. My DH uses sponges and I made the mistake of putting them in the washer and they made a mess in my washing machine. He now uses Dawn Power Dissolver to clean them by hand.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I throw them out. We have plenty of rags.

Posts: 7117 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Well, if you have plenty of rags to use for that sort of thing, I would pitch it. Otherwise, I usually rinse things out like that in our laundry tub with hot water and some sort of dish soap that breaks down the wax/oil. Then rinse with clean water then wash in washer as usual. Never has affected the washer. Maybe I've just been lucky.Wink

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
With the clear coat over paint applications on any of our cars, I have not waxed a car in 13-14 years. Wink

Posts: 9639 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Throw them O U T !!!

Posts: 2489 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all- they're going.

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post