Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Refrigerator Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator Repair Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Anyone have their refrigerator repaired recently? My Kenmore Elite Refrigerator is not working properly. The milk and drinks are freezing and so is the meat on the bottom shelf of the frig. I just wanted to know what you paid to have your refrigerator repaired. They offered us the 'service contract' for a yr. which my DH accepted. It cost $279 regardless of the cost of the repair. I don't think you need any such service contract and I think he should just gamble and go with whatever the eventual repair charge is. The frig. is almost 9 yrs. old with no prior problems. Do you think the repair charge would be less than $279? I know prices vary around the country, I am in Northern New Jersey!
(I am convinced these service contracts are totally unnecessary and a huge money maker for them!) Would you opt for no service contract at all? They said it 'can be cancelled within 30 days' if you don't want it! THANKS!!!

Posts: 2512 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have never purchased extended warranty on anything. I agree with you...it's generally a money maker for warranty/insurance people.

Posts: 17223 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
The only extended warranty we have ever purchased was on our vehicle, due to it having 5 computers on board.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4971 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I also don't buy into the extended warranty on anything. In fact, today I was at SAM'S and bought a pair of earrings... $39.00. the girl asked if I wanted to purchase the extended warranty at $7.00 per year for 3 years!?! Say what? If my earrings malfunction after a year I can return them?? No thanks, I'll pass. Frown

Posts: 993 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a service contract on my fridge since I bought it in 1992 (believe it or not). The price is reasonable (don't remember how much since I've had it since day one). If you take the contract 9 years in, it's more money.
First thing I would do is go to repairclinic.com and put in your model #, etc. and the symptoms.
The site diagnosed my washer "issue" down to the part with detailed instructions on how to replace. My son and I did the repair in about an hour with a $20 part.
Now, if the part is $300 and you have to dismantle the entire fridge, it may be wise to get the contract but be careful that it will cover any IMMEDIATE repairs with no waiting period.
Certainly worth a try.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am confused. Have you had the refrigerator repaired already and then they offered an extended warranty? Or did they offer a warranty before the repairs are done?

Did you know that many times a freezing problem is just a blocked vent? While complicated repairs you might not be able to do there are many simple ones you can take care of yourself. Check on the Internet or go to the appliance section of handyman.com forum. You need the model and serial #.

Posts: 7173 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Wavie, I don't have a Kenmore but when I had a problem with our liquids freezing, I defrosted my fridge freezer and it took care of it.
As metwo said, mine may have been just an iced over vent...and I also bought a fridge thermometer that is now attached inside the fridge and I can see it when I open the door. It attaches to the fridge wall with suction cups and if it goes below 40º, I'll be defrosting again.
Also, have you pulled the fridge out and vacuumed any exposed areas in the back, taken the front bottom vent panel off (below most doors) and vacuumed in there? Sometimes that is where the problem is hiding!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4971 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't spend that much on a contract. If the fridge is very old (you didn't say), that's money you could use toward a replacement. If it's newer, it's not likely to need large repairs. If it's middle-aged, it's not likely to need more than one large repair. On the whole, consumer advocates say that repair contracts are a gamble that the purchaser rarely wins.

I'll add this ... Make sure to check the thermostat controls to see if one got accidentally bumped into the wrong temperature zone. That has happened here several times.

Posts: 4590 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. We monitored the fridge that day. To my utter surprise, the fridge stopped freezing the liquids and meat in the fridge and started acting 'normal' again. Luckily, we were unable to get a repairman that day and had to wait until the next day. I told my DH to immediately cancel the repair appointment when he wakes up. He did and we saved ourselves nearly $300. I told my DH to wait a couple of days to see if it is really broken. He gets worried right away and wants it fixed. Lesson learned.
Thanks again!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2512 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Wavie, I have to ask, because I'm curious.
How do you know it would have been $300 if you don't know what was wrong with it?
I mean... Would the service call alone ("trip charge") have been that much? I know NJ has different costs of living than here in the Midwest but.... ???? No one better charge me more than $75 - 100 to show up at my door before diagnosing the problem or installing some parts!
Or... Did the company you scheduled the appointment with perhaps diagnose the problem over the phone and then tell you it would be $300? That's bad form. No one can accurately diagnose over the phone.

Posts: 4590 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They charge $75 to come out and then there's the repairs. My Electrolux refrigerator had a problem with the condenser after 11 months, if we weren't under warranty it would have cost $600.

Posts: 3211 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:
Wavie, I have to ask, because I'm curious.
How do you know it would have been $300 if you don't know what was wrong with it?
I mean... Would the service call alone ("trip charge") have been that much?

That's an excellent question. My DH called for a guy to repair it. Obviously, the person my DH spoke to on the phone did such a fantastic job selling the service contract (good for one whole yr. BIG DEAL!) that my stupid DH fell for it hook, line and sinker. They said "you can cancel the contract within 30 days". My immediate question to my DH was: Do you think they would actually charge you LESS if you already agreed (& they asked for his credit card!) to the Service Contract??? (for $279)
I am so happy the fridge started worked right again. That is the last time I will let my DH agree to anything except the "repairman visit". I don't agree to paying in advance NOT KNOWING what is even wrong with fridge. My DH is soooooo d@mn gullible. Frown rolling eyes....
P.S. I did say how old my machine was. I sure did! (going on 9 yrs)

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw later that you had posted the fridge's age. Missed it first time around.

It seems you might have called the the appliance manufacturer to request service... ? Just my opinion, but I think that's fraught with trouble. Their hourly labor rate might be higher, parts might cost more, etc. And then there's that "service contract" sales pitch.
I use a local family-owned appliance repair biz that I trust almost implicitly. You might consider finding a place like that when you need help again, instead of going directly to the mnfr.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
My fridge has been acting up again this week. The fridge temps (put a thermometer inside it) has dropped to 28-29 at times, but the liquids have not freezed this time (last time milk froze as well as other things). It gets water on the top shelf which FREEZES UP. So now I am tired of wiping up the water on the top shelf. I need it repaired before it stops freezing altogether. I am not getting a service contract!
Nettie - where did you find your appliance repair company? Should I perhaps look in the yellow pages? We just called the '800' phone number that is listed inside the refrigerator. THANKS!!!

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Darn. That's the thing about appliances. Once they act up, they don't 'heal' themselves.

The repair business I use is family-owned and has been in my community for more about 60 years. They've always had a good reputation, and people just "know" them. Ask your friends and neighbors if they have a favorite such business they deal with. Word of mouth is often the best source.

You can always start with the Yellow Pages. (Yes, I know that dates me; few people have actual phone books in their houses anymore. But you can find online versions if you search.) Look under "Appliances, major repair & service" Most of them state they service Kenmore. I personally avoid the ones who have large or multiple ads. Those have higher overhead they have to pay for, and they might do it on your dime. After that, check out any possibilities on the Better Business Bureau site. That's not a 100% guarantee of honesty, but it's a start. Call the ones that check out well on the BBB and see what their trip charge and labor rates will be. They can't predict what parts will cost until they see the unit, though.

The online site already mentioned here - repairclinic.com - can offer advice about what the problem might be based on symptoms. Last time I looked there, the service was free. They make their money on selling parts to DIYers, I think.

I sympathize with you. Nothing worse than having fridge trouble over a holiday. ugh

posted Hide Post
You know Kenmore is made by other manufacturers. To help determine what make yours is check out appliance411.com. You will need the first 3 numbers of the model number.

This will help when you call a repairman to find out if he is familiar with your brand. Though most problems are generic if parts are needed it will help.

Posts: 7173 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Hi there,
I took out all the foods I had on the top shelf/left side. I was sick of wiping up a puddle of water.
I just left them on the table for a while and forgot about it while I did other things.
Guess what? The temp in fridge went up to 36 deg. and there's no more water for now!!! So, it's saved once again....
I read on-line about 'not blocking vents' whatever that means. You are supposed to put food in the fridge, so how can you NOT block the vents? We haven't done anything different than we did when we bought it nearly 9 yrs. ago, so I don't know. Thanks Nettie and other posters.
P.S. I certainly do have my Yellow Pages! I am definitely 'old school' forever and ever! Wink