HGTV Message Boards
Picture Frame Matting

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4284011632/m/2433977967

Apr 16, 2013, 10:38 AM
weakestlink
Picture Frame Matting
How do I clean or remove water damaged frame matting?
Apr 16, 2013, 11:21 AM
conrad
Replace it with new.
Apr 16, 2013, 12:05 PM
weakestlink
But how do I get it out of the frame? It's rigid fiber matting and seems firmly attached to the frame.
Apr 16, 2013, 01:31 PM
sms29s66
It sounds like the frame and matting are connected as one piece. Are you sure the frame is worth the bother of cleaning or replacing the matting? If so, maybe you could check with the store where it was purchased???
Apr 16, 2013, 01:38 PM
conrad
Do you mean a linen wrapped liner that is sort of a second frame, often attached inside the outer frame and then against an oil painting? This liner can be replaced on quality frames. I have had this done after fire/smoke damage as there is not an easy way to clean this.

If you are talking about a quality frame with the cut mat being stuck to the inner ledge of the frame (due to water), you may have to carefully rewet the area/edge sticking, and then work it loose.

If these are not high quality frames and the mat seems part of the whole thing, I would not bother with trying to repair/restore the matting. Just not worthy, IMHO.
Apr 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
weakestlink
It sounds like the first option you described.
Apr 17, 2013, 08:16 PM
conrad
If it is a separate linen liner in a quality frame, then a frame shop can replace it with sections of a new liner. Not a DIY job in my experience.

There are also premade, inexpensive frames that have a linen like liner that is part of the outside frame and not easily removable. (And not worthy of replacing.) A local frame shop could show you the difference.
Apr 22, 2013, 02:41 PM
weakestlink
Here a photo of one of the frames with water damaged matting (front & back).

Apr 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
conrad
Hard to tell, liner does look wider than in the cheaper frames. The ones that I have dealt with were put together with offset screw clips and pretty obvious for separation/removal. However the frame itself looks pretty bunged up too. I would toss, if it were mine.

Don't take this wrong?
But like my past advice...you just have way too much to deal with to try to squeeze every nickle/dime from these estates. Not worthy of the time, effort and possible additional expense.
Apr 23, 2013, 02:19 AM
Idaho Resident
Weakestlink, I have to say that I agree with Conrad ~ the effort and time it will take to even attempt to restore these frames simply is not worth it. I'm sorry but it isn't.

You can donate them to someone, perhaps a high school art class, a local library that hosts art showings or a charitable organization that raises funds for worthy causes you support but, right now, you are simply spinning your wheels in an attempt to make money for whichever estate these belong to if you continue on this path.

It's time to bring an end to all of these estates that have consumed your life for so long. You have done a great job, weakestlink, better than anyone could ever expect and you have done it exceptionally well, with dedication and love ~ time now to close it out knowing that you have done everything and then some to honor your parents and your aunt's memories.

Wishing you the best ~ you deserve it. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,
Apr 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
Georgia Peach
WL, I have frames like these in which my acrylic canvas paintings are framed. I'm don't think you can actually remove the part you are referring to as the liner or matting. It is all connected.
Apr 27, 2013, 04:52 PM
mamaspoon
I agree with Idaho Resident's advice and toss it and anything else of little value- certainly your time is worth more than the time it would take to rescue all these objects you come up with. You've been doing this sorting, trying to rescue and sell how long- a couple of years it seems to me. Pat yourself on the back, say I've done more than any ablebodied person should be expected to do and resume your life.
May 21, 2013, 01:10 PM
cocok
You could take it to a frame shop and have the damaged part replaced. It will probably cost more than the frame is worth though. If it isn't sentimental to you, it doesn't make sense to do it.
May 21, 2013, 02:53 PM
May
Can you paint the matting with poster or artist oil paint or will the damage show through? Worth a try if you don't want to go to the trouble of reframing/rematting.

love life